• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Steampunk

This is ace. We're building up a little steampunk gang. I say we sneak back at night and replace the forum workings with brass cogs and ether.

Cool

Someone suggested The Windup Girl to me,I also picked up The Chess Machine,I don't know if it ties in this steampunk thing though.lol

Wow, it just goes to show you can learn something new everyday. I'd never heard of the term Steampunk before, so just ignored this thread until now. Makes sense (the term steampunk, that is). :)

I will be picking up King rat to begin tonight. This is also my suggested genre swap read. Will let you all know what I think. :)

Mmmmm I got into Perdido street station right away. King rat is proving to be harder to get into. Only a couple of chapters in. Will keep going............

Well I plan to resume my foray into steampunk over the next two months. I'm going to read Boneshaker that apparently won a Sci-fi award recently. I'm also going to read, The somnambulist, Jonathan Barnes; The manual of detection, Jedediah Berry and The Court of the air, Stephen Hunt. Slowly working my way through my list......

Well The boneshaker was much more steampunky than the others as I'm slowly making my way through my list. I'm halfway through The Somnambulist, and this has taken me by surprise. I wasn't expecting too much and I've been really enjoying it thus far. No gadgets to speak of, but very Victorian.

Hello there. I'm a big fan of China Mieville; I've read all of his except King Rat and The Kraken. I'm patiently waiting for the latter to come out in paperback.

Some great suggestions here - I shall have to check some of them out. I've not read much steampunk, but I think I might be a fan in waiting.

Having watched The First Men in the Moon last week, does HG Wells count as steampunk?

I would count H G Wells as steampunk. The Somnambulist was lovely. I loved Barnes Verbosity and I've added new words to my own vocabulary. Brilliant imagination. I highly recommend this book. :star4:

Back