• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: From a Buick 8

SFG75

Went to the library with the kiddos tonight and perused the King section after not being able to find anything that appealed to me. I found From a Buick 8.

Anyone read it? Here's the line on it from Amazon

The book's intriguing plot revolves around the troopers of Pennsylvania State Patrol Troop D, who come into possession of what at first appears to be a vintage automobile. Closer inspection and experimentation conducted by the troopers reveal that this car's doors (and trunk) sometimes open to another dimension populated by gross-out creatures straight out of ... well, a Stephen King novel. As the plot progresses, the veteran troopers' tales of these visits from interdimensional nasties, and the occasional "lightquakes" put on by the car, are passed on to the son of a fallen comrade whose fascination with the car bordered on dangerous obsession.

While some readers may find this tale less exciting than the horror master's earlier works, From a Buick 8 is a wonderful example of how much King's plotting skills and literary finesse have matured over his long career.

I'll be starting this one tonight.

I really liked it. It's not very fast paced but it's gripping. Classic King, despite being a later one, in my opinion.

And oddly enough, is not on my bookshelf for some reason... how strange! i keep discovering things that got "lost in the move".

I've read a lot of King. Not all, but a lot. This book fits in the "not all," section simply because I couldn't get past the shittier than shit beginning. Mmm...read Green Mile.

I've read the book as well. King is very hit and miss with me, and this was a huge miss. It's been awhile since I read it, so I don't remember particulars, but it didn't grip me like other works of King have. I really didn't care about the characters, or the car, or what happened to anyone. I finished it, because I hate to leave a book unfinished, but I ended up giving to a used bookstore.

I really like some of King's books but for some reason could not bring myself to read this one... :rolleyes: I guess it is instinct.

Even I got it from the library two days back. I am going to start it soon.
Lets see how it goes..

Well i just finished the book. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I had trouble having food after reading it. (It got a little disgusting at times). In that aspect it wasn't as bad as Dreamcatcher though ;)

I wont be reading any more of King till i get my hands on the dark tower series.

I agree with the general opinion of this book.
Being an avid King fan, i've read most of his books and have been pleased with all of them... except this one. What a major disappointment!
I could barely get going with the awful beginning, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and forced my way through... I wish I hadn't.

The story is tedious, and perhaps would have worked better as a short story?

Yeah this book dragged a lot....most of the time I was bored out of my mind reading it but there were times that it gripped me, but then I went back to being bored out of my mind. The ending wasn't very satisfying either. I agree with Steph it seems more like the type of story that would have been better as a short story.
I would not reread this one.

I actually found it a very interesting and absorbing read. It's certainly not a horror and at times not a great deal happens, but for me it was the characters who made it. It's not one of his greats, but I enjoyed it.

Back