• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

I read the Plot Of 'Gunslinger' on his site,and it seems,Boring . .
I dont think I will ever like him.

Hi Worm,

General consensus seems to be that some of King's best works include The Shining, The Stand, It and Pet Semetary. I'd certainly agree with the first three and add the Dark Tower series (sorry!). The Gunslinger is really a kind of set-up to the series, but if fantasy isn't really your thing, you maybe won't like it much. Hope this helps! :) (BTW I am one of King's "constant readers" and have read all his work that is out in paperback, so I do like his writing.)

Edit: I love Firestarter, but I wouldn't say it was an example of his usual work, and people tend to love or hate it. Try something else before deciding you don't like King! :)

Halo, I, too, have read everything he's written (except for his REALLY early stuff in high school and the baseball one).

Worm - it's actually not all that boring. It is a definite if you like fantasy, though.

Worm said:
I'll give him a try.
Starting with 'The Green Mile'.Its story is nice.

Nice? Are you sure that's the adjective you want to use?! ;) I wonder if you'll think it's nice after you've finished it! I read it once, but I will never read it again - it's a great story, but it upset me far too much (I am a bit of a wimp.) I have not been able to bring myself to watch the film either.

Halo - the film was fantastic! They did a good job. It was disturbing though, but I like a bit of that.

Geenh - yeah, I heard the film was good, but I would not be able to watch it. The descriptions in the book were bad enough! Demonic clowns and moving hedge animals I can deal with (just!), but I can't deal with "realistic" violence if you know what I mean by that. (I mean things that happen in real life, like executions and murders etc.) I like escapism in my reading, I guess. :)

Halo - I perfectly understand! Not long after I began haunting this forum I had a conversation about how much 'violence' in the form of movies and books to expose chilren to. I brought up how the 6 o'clock news makes my get misty. I too am like you. Until about a year ago, I stayed away from nn-fiction. Now, I can read it. Still cannot watch the true movies. Black Hawk Down made me cry BECAUSE IT REALLY HAPPENED!

Books take me to another world, one where crying is an option only with a smile on your face.

Yeah, I know. I read the hard core shit... gore makes me smile.

Thanks Libra!

I like pulp crime. As a matter of fact, I am reading *gasp* a Lawrence Block AGAIN! The stuff has a great movement to it.

Read the Gunslinger in a vague blur on the way back from our holiday - started it at Geneva Airport and finished just before we touched down in Heathrow.

I really enjoyed the book, it was different, it jumped around, it was painfully obvious that it was meant only to start the series off, but for all that it was fantastic. The characterisation is superb, the moral issues are stong-put throughout and I cant wait to pick up the second one soon.

Phil :)

i picked up my second Stephen King book a few days ago...Dreamcatcher...it's pretty interesting so far. :cool:

Dizzy - wasn't too keen on Dreamcatcher. I thought it was rather daft. What was the first King you read?

Dizzy said:
The Shining, which is scary. :)
Oooh! That was my first Stephen King book! I was underaged in Las Vegas & Stephen King kept me company.

I actually liked Dreamcatcher. But I'm a sucker for Stephen King's writing on friendships ("ka-tets" if you will :p ).

Back