• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

New Stephen King info

Hi I'm a new member and I'm a huge fan of Stespen King. That said, I love most 'horror' writers. Does anyone have any up to date info on him?

Come on people, we could stop all discussion and just go the author's wesite but that wouldn't be much fun, would it. :)

Is it really necessary to be so snide, especially when someone is a new member? Bookbuff, please allow me to welcome you. It's true that you can probably find out a lot more about SK on his Web site than here, but I'm glad you dropped in on us anyway.

You can also search past threads in these forums - there is a lot in here about SK and his various books.

While I am not a big horror fan myself, I do like him and have read most of what he's written. I especially like his books that don't necessarily depend on the supernatural for their plot lines. "Different Seasons" is one of my favorites - I think "Apt Pupil" is one of the scariest things I've ever read, up there with "Lord of the Flies" as a commentary on how thin a veneer civilization really is.

Anyway. Welcome, and I hope to see more of your posts in the future.

Okay... so he's off the pot now. Sorry if I came off as snide, but he was really on the toilet. To answer your question, here is what I know:

• He's scheduled to release a new crime novel - The Colorado Kid, this October
  • He's currently working on a new novel - Lisey's Story (pronounced 'lee-see'), which should be out in 2006
  • He's currently working on a new novel - Cell, which is about zombification via cell phone usage, and should be out by 2007
  • He has a novel excerpt coming out in the October edition of Cemetery Dance Magazine
  • Desperation, the movie adaptation of the novel of the same name, has been pushed back to spring of 2006, during sweeps week.

I think that does it for now...

ja9 said:
Is it really necessary to be so snide, especially when someone is a new member? Bookbuff, please allow me to welcome you. It's true that you can probably find out a lot more about SK on his Web site than here, but I'm glad you dropped in on us anyway.

You can also search past threads in these forums - there is a lot in here about SK and his various books.

While I am not a big horror fan myself, I do like him and have read most of what he's written. I especially like his books that don't necessarily depend on the supernatural for their plot lines. "Different Seasons" is one of my favorites - I think "Apt Pupil" is one of the scariest things I've ever read, up there with "Lord of the Flies" as a commentary on how thin a veneer civilization really is.

Anyway. Welcome, and I hope to see more of your posts in the future.

I wasn't being snide and I don't think anyone else was. Can't we have a little bit of fun? :D

Miss Shelf said:
I wasn't being snide and I don't think anyone else was. Can't we have a little bit of fun? :D
Sure, but lets welcome and give a new member a chance to come aboard first. :)

btw bookbuff, have you read King's "Dark Tower" series.
His IT was one of the scariest for me.

:) Heard he has a Son who also writes, wonder what his books are like,(Owen King) I think his name is & if he will become as good as Stephen King?
Has anyone read the younger 'Kings' Book or Books?

I know I mentioned this before, but that was a while back. Lenny informed me that King's The Colorado Kid was released today. ;)

I saw on his site that there's going to be a new feature that lists his top picks. I think it'll be a weekly thing.

According to the site, he's reading "The Lincoln Lawyer" by Michael Connelly; listening to the New York Streets by Dion; he loved the movie "Serenity"

Marvel Comics to publish Dark Tower Comic Books
Stephen is working with Marvel to produce a series of comic books inspired by and adapted from his Dark Tower novels. The first six issues will appear monthly starting in April 2006 and then will be collected in a hardcover volume published by Marvel in time for the 2006 holidays. The comics will integrate scenes from the novels with new material, creating a linear history of Roland Deschain as a young man. - stephenking.com
Full Press Release
Yay! How exciting. :D
Sorry if mentioned already...

Ell said:
Hmmm....

He's written in a lot of different styles - long epics, short novellas, non-fiction, ... It's hard to pinpoint just one book.

How about:
  • "Different Seasons" - for a great collection of novellas
  • "The Shining" - for one of his scariest
  • "The Stand" - for a big epic
  • "On Writing" - for non-fiction (though Danse Macabre is good, too)
  • "The Dark Tower Series" - for ongoing serial

i bought "Different Seasons". i look foward to reading it

so far i've only read Carrie, and loved it. i want to read the Green Mile and someday start the dark tower series

Dark tower movie

I heard about the comics. I hope they aren't doing that instead of a movie someday. I would love a nice long series like lord of the rings, or like star wars with lots of movies. It would be a big undertaking if they ever decided to go through with it. One can only hope.

I see he has written a novella - which, in King terms, means a thousand pages :rolleyes: - for a new anthology, entitled Transgressions, edited by Ed. McBain. The reviewer seemed to think that King, of all the writers involved, had problems telling his story, a ghostly tale inspired by 9/11.

Shade said:
Some BookForum-ers may remember that last month I agreed to try a Stephen King as recommended by direstraits, who advised me to get Different Seasons. I've just finished the first story, so here are my thoughts so far...
Bravo, Shade. I was tempted to ask you on occasion if you've picked up and started on your princely find. Sorry that you didn't find it to your liking though, but I'm pleased to know that you did step up to the plate and sunk in the time to validate your initial impressions on King.

I did learn something about your review - to find snippets of quotes from the author to reveal what he thinks of his own work, and incorporating it with your own appraisal. Would you say what he said about his work influenced you in some way while you went through the story, though?

Well it's impossible to entirely remove one's prior feelings, judged or prejudged, about a writer, but I tried to be open about that above, and I also tried to judge Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption fairly, and tried to imagine if I would have felt differently about it if it had been written by someone else. (I wouldn't.)
I totally agree with this. At least you stated that you have succeeded in separating the author from the work itself. Being a much less focussed reader, I don't think I could have succeeded taking a step back and judging a piece of work on its own merits, completely disassociating the fact of who wrote it. Well, I could try, but probably will not be too successful.

Well, then, shall we move on to Salman Rushdie's Fury, which I thought was an excellent book and probably be more along your alley? :)

ds

Shade-
Stephen King is a great writer. That's just my opinion, of course (as though I had to say so).
To cut and paste a paragraph of his prose and evaluate it, misses the point completely. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees! I would not take one chord of a symphony and critique it - or a frame of a movie. King is a novelist - not a poet - and his work needs to be seen in bigger chunks. If it's an artistic paragraph you're looking for, King is not going to do it for you. I'd recommend Emily Dickenson.
I'll tell you one thing though. When I pick up a Stephen King book - I'm hooked. Not every single one - that's true - but the exceptions are rare. The only one I could not finish was The Tommyknockers. Not that I've read them all. I just ordered books 1-5 of The Dark Tower. I'll be involved in that for months - I have my work cut out - and I can't wait. The Body? What a GREAT story. Rage. The Long Walk. The Talisman. The Stand. Firestarter. The Dead Zone. Misery. All GREAT!!!!!!
Why torture yourself with literature you hate - just to see how much you can stand? If you don't like anchovies, you don't need to eat 10 cans of them before you can say you just don't like them.
Eat what you want. Read what you want.

Libre said:
Shade-
Stephen King is a great writer. That's just my opinion, of course (as though I had to say so).
To cut and paste a paragraph of his prose and evaluate it, misses the point completely. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees! I would not take one chord of a symphony and critique it - or a frame of a movie. King is a novelist - not a poet - and his work needs to be seen in bigger chunks. If it's an artistic paragraph you're looking for, King is not going to do it for you. I'd recommend Emily Dickenson.
I'll tell you one thing though. When I pick up a Stephen King book - I'm hooked. Not every single one - that's true - but the exceptions are rare. The only one I could not finish was The Tommyknockers. Not that I've read them all. I just ordered books 1-5 of The Dark Tower. I'll be involved in that for months - I have my work cut out - and I can't wait. The Body? What a GREAT story. Rage. The Long Walk. The Talisman. The Stand. Firestarter. The Dead Zone. Misery. All GREAT!!!!!!
Why torture yourself with literature you hate - just to see how much you can stand? If you don't like anchovies, you don't need to eat 10 cans of them before you can say you just don't like them.
Eat what you want. Read what you want.
I envy you. You are just starting to read the Dark Tower Series. There is much enjoyment for you down that road.

Hey Muggle-
Yeah - I'm really psyched. I have to read a few things first (darn) but I'm really looking forward to this.

Libre said:
Hey Muggle-
Yeah - I'm really psyched. I have to read a few things first (darn) but I'm really looking forward to this.
Libre, I'm due to read another Stephen King sometime soon. I have not read "The Stand" yet and see that you have read it. Would you recommend The Stand as it is on my TBR list.

Back