• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Strange thing about pizza

I've never been a big fan of the crust or the sauce, I just like the cheese really. When I was little my brother ate the crust and I ate the toppings.

yick, the cheese is my least favorite part I think...I used to scrape everything off and eat just the bread-crust - moist under the toppings and crusty over on the edge...mmmmm.

When I was little, I was unfairly tricked into thinking all red sauce was spicy, and I don't like anything spicy, so I didn't each pizza for many years, well until about 5th or 6th grade when someone corrected the misunderstanding. Anyway, for me the crust is the best part, by far, and I like thin, crusty crust the best...maybe it's a carry-over from when I was little and avoiding the sauce. :)

But it's funny, overall, I'm not a *huge* pizza fan anyway. I really hafta be in the mood, or really hungry.

D

Libre said:
MonkeyCatcher and novella:
SURELY YOU JEST! I'm a native New Yorker, and have been eating pizza since I was a lad. As EVERYONE knows, New York Pizza is the bar setter, the standard by which ALL other pizzas are judged.
Same goes for kosher delis, bagel stores and Chinese Take Out places
NYC Pizzas are like the Hong Kong knock-offs of the pizza world. Real pizza shouldn't be able to fold in two, and should be at least 3 cm high with a crunchy base. Now that's pizza :D

Hong Kong knock-offs aren't always bad. Plus, they cost around 10% of the original price. :D
I'm not a huge pizza. If any, I like thin crust kind, no oil, tons of sauce and veggies, and very little cheese. I'm a very picky eater and squabble over everything.
Libre's description of pizza is kind of like cake for me. I can't wait to take the first bite, but then, after a few, it starts to taste too sickly sweet. Sometimes I become sick if I eat more than half a piece.

Yikes, there's a lot of dieters here these days. Must be summer coming. I had the most fantastic piece of pizza for lunch today, loaded with veggies. Yum. I'm with Libre though in that pizza's wonder starts to wane after the first bite or two.

mehastings said:
Yikes, there's a lot of dieters here these days. Must be summer coming. I had the most fantastic piece of pizza for lunch today, loaded with veggies. Yum. I'm with Libre though in that pizza's wonder starts to wane after the first bite or two.
I wonder then, why, I usually eat half of a 16 inch pizza every time we get one. :D

I'm in the dieter crowd. I will put pizza-like ingredients into an omelette, though ... so long carbs, until Thanksgiving, when almost anything goes again! That's why I don't mind my diet so much, since I know I'll have it all later.

muggle said:
I wonder then, why, I usually eat half of a 16 inch pizza every time we get one. :D

Wow. Impressive. I don't think I could ever eat that much pizza. Thing is, just because the first bite is the best doesn't mean the rest of them aren't worth eating. It's just that the first couple bites are always the best. After that, it's pretty much just food.

muggle said:
Only half? I'd eat the whole thing.

There's a place near me that does a 27" pizza. Had to turn the box on its side to get it through the front door when it was delivered. :eek:

I love pizza and have been eating it for many a year. A couple months ago we were on a long weekend at Ocean Isle, NC and got a pizza at an Italian Restaurant near the beach. Wow, it was by far the best pizza that I have ever had in my life. The other people with us also raved about it.

muggle said:
we were on a long weekend at Ocean Isle, NC and got a pizza at an Italian Restaurant near the beach. Wow, it was by far the best pizza that I have ever had in my life. The other people with us also raved about it.

You are too generous. You should have told the other people to get their own pizza. ;)

My son and I have been conducting a wide-ranging pizza survey every Saturday for a few years, coinciding with his wide-ranging music lessons and engagements. We have encyclopedic knowledge of pizza in about a 50-mile radius including two upstate NY counties and have also extensively researched parts of Manhattan and Queens.

It's really a lot of work.:D

Regarding the cheese v. crust preference, for me the art of pizza is in getting all ingredients in balance and harmony. A great housemade sauce that's not sweetened is key.

Originally posted by Novella
My son and I have been conducting a wide-ranging pizza survey every Saturday for a few years, coinciding with his wide-ranging music lessons and engagements. We have encyclopedic knowledge of pizza in about a 50-mile radius including two upstate NY counties and have also extensively researched parts of Manhattan and Queens.

It's really a lot of work.

Regarding the cheese v. crust preference, for me the art of pizza is in getting all ingredients in balance and harmony. A great housemade sauce that's not sweetened is key.

I have done a lot of research and tested many recipes, at home and at every establishment I can. When my wife bought me my first kitchen aid mixer :D , I started making pizzas like a madman. I started off baking deep dish Chicago style, then new york and finally Neapolitan style! mmmmmmm. I love making hand tossed crust for family and friends, it's a blast teaching them how to do it.

Chicago deep-dish is the best, IMO.

I've got a recipe for making a pizza, have made it many times and is delicious but lacks a certain something. I think it's because food tends to taste better when you eat out-you know you don't have to wash the dishes afterwards! ;)

Miss Shelf said:
Chicago deep-dish is the best, IMO.

I've got a recipe for making a pizza, have made it many times and is delicious but lacks a certain something. I think it's because food tends to taste better when you eat out-you know you don't have to wash the dishes afterwards! ;)

I've noticed that too :D

Nothing to do with pizza except the enjoyment of eating. I picked these this morning and we will be enjoying them this evening for dessert.
x6g6pw.jpg

x6g703.jpg

Back