• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Strangest novel

I liked it a lot at first, but then it become far to disjointed for me to enjoy it. I really like novels that experiment with style and structure. I do think that story is holy though and should always be the centre. For me, the fragmented structure spoilt the story for me. I found it far too distracting.

I'll be interested to see how you like it when you are further along in the novel :)

I asked my mum this question two days ago. She said she didn't know, I said The Dice Man is the strangest book I've read. It doesn't seem half as strange after reading about all your books, though.

SillyWabbit said:
What is the strangest novel or novels you have read?

I'm going for Amnesia Moon by Johnathan Lethem!

What is your strangest novel?

I read a book called 'Dr Franklins Island' once (I can't remember the authors name) about two girls who get shipwrecked (?) and end up on an island with someone who turns them into a bird and a fish :D

It sounds crazy but it was actually really good I thought

Alice

The one I just finished, 'The Great and Secret Show' by Clive Barker. Everything he writes is strange, but this one takes first prize! Very bizzare-I loved it! :cool: When you read a lot of horror, its cool to be surprised/shocked by the twists in a novel, and this is full of twists and weirdness. :eek:

alice said:
I read a book called 'Dr Franklins Island' once (I can't remember the authors name) about two girls who get shipwrecked (?) and end up on an island with someone who turns them into a bird and a fish :D

It sounds crazy but it was actually really good I thought

Alice

I've read that, it's by Ann Halam! It sounds mad but it is an excellent book - all mad scientist and genetic engineering, for kids no less!! :D

i'd probably have to say, "Breakfast Of Champions" By Kurt Vonnegut. He draws alot of weird awesome pictures in there and even the story and characters are strange.

lorrekarloff said:
The one I just finished, 'The Great and Secret Show' by Clive Barker. Everything he writes is strange, but this one takes first prize! Very bizzare-I loved it! :cool: When you read a lot of horror, its cool to be surprised/shocked by the twists in a novel, and this is full of twists and weirdness. :eek:

Read the sequel. Everville.

Little, Big by John Crowley
one of the weirdest other worldly afterfeelings I have ever had
took me a week to come out of that novel
vi

Yeah, Little, Big was definitely odd, disjointed, and confusing - but, there was definitely something compelling about it, anyway.

sanguine said:
i'd probably have to say, "Breakfast Of Champions" By Kurt Vonnegut. He draws alot of weird awesome pictures in there and even the story and characters are strange.

i absolutely agree!

funes said:
Yeah, Little, Big was definitely odd, disjointed, and confusing - but, there was definitely something compelling about it, anyway.

I just could not get into it! The style of the writing was off putting :)

truly violet said:
vi
Oooh, I forgot all about that one. That house messed with my mind! Very very strange! :eek: :)

Back