• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: Can we have more emoticons please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no real problem with smilies as long as they're not overused, but why do they need to be added to this site? There are tons of smiley sites out there that offer a lot more smilies than this one could ever hope to do. If you want to use lots of different smilies, why not simply find them on another site that allows hotlinking and link to them in your posts?

It's more convenient to just click a smilie here or type a simple code like :flower: than to have to open another window in order to search around smilie collections, copy some long URL string, come back to the conversation here, figure out where you were going to add it, and paste the URL string. That's partly why you're seeing people storing their favourite ones at Photobucket - at least you know where they are, even if it's still an inconvenient process to use them.

At a forum where the smilies are available in the gallery, I can just click on them from there or simply write things like :flower:, :whistling:, :hide:, :banghead:, or :frazzled: in order to get ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f298_tnbskts_Smilies_flowers.gif, ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f298_tnbskts_Smilies_whistling.gif, ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f298_tnbskts_Smilies_hide.gif, ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f298_tnbskts_Smilies_banghead6mx.gif, and ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f298_tnbskts_Smilies_sleepdeprivation.gif.

We're already limited to five images per post, so it's not as though people are going to be able to go totally insane with them.

There's also the consideration that for the people who don't like smilies, having a larger choice here means that those of us who do use them will be more inclined to stick with the convenience of the in-house ones and not wander over to smilie repositories and start rooting around there and coming up with stuff like this asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Happy_happy_100.gif asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Laughing_lol_045.gif asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Sleepy_asleep_047.gif asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Respect_king_033.gif

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-100.gif[/IMG] asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Laughing_lol_045.gif asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Sleepy_asleep_047.gif asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Respect_king_033.gif

And you think that selection will benefit this forum how exactly?

I do have one suggestion though, and it's to those who seem most vocal about these icons, why don't you settle into the forum first and expend your energy on the forum posting about books for a bit? It might just show you have an interest in the forum's main subject matter rather than posting rubbish little icons that look so cheap they would bring the place down.

And you think that selection will benefit this forum how exactly?

I already told you. BTW, in case you weren't understanding my point in the post you quoted, I don't think the smilies in that post would be helpful, but it's much more likely that they'll start appearing if people have to go to the smilie repositories to find ones to post because there aren't any in the galleries here.

[/quote]I do have one suggestion though, and it's to those who seem most vocal about these icons, why don't you settle into the forum first and expend your energy on the forum posting about books for a bit?[/quote]

I have been doing so. Quite a bit of energy in fact. In several of the forums here. In case you hadn't noticed.

If the sort of conversations going on about smilies is supposed to be restricted to people who've been here for a long time, then perhaps that should have been made clear some time ago.

It might just show you have an interest in the forum's main subject matter rather than posting rubbish little icons that look so cheap they would bring the place down.

That, sir, is uncalled for, untrue, and deeply offensive. But, OK, as long as I've given the management the idea that I'm basically a saboteur with no interest in the forum other than, apparently, to bring it down, I guess I can take a hint.

Bye.

... it's much more likely that they'll start appearing if people have to go to the smilie repositories to find ones to post because there aren't any in the galleries here.
I don't know. If it involved more effort to go get them, I'm sure only the most determined would bother.

If the sort of conversations going on about smilies is supposed to be restricted to people who've been here for a long time, then perhaps that should have been made clear some time ago.
Of course it's not. All I'm making is the observation that a number asking for more smilies are relatively new here. (And the forum has survived for six years so far with what it has, growing to what it is.)

That, sir, is uncalled for, untrue, and deeply offensive.
You are free to interpret anything as you wish.

But, OK, as long as I've given the management the idea that I'm basically a saboteur with no interest in the forum other than, apparently, to bring it down, I guess I can take a hint.
One, I'm not the management; two, saboteur is your own word; three, I never said you had no interest in the forum; and four, there was no hint.
Bye. :confused:

Shouldn't this conversation about smiley's be moved into the "mature discussion" section?The turn it's taking is worrying me.

Yes, it should! Then I will no longer have to resist the urge to take part in it.

Good idea Stewart.

And peder: if we moved it Mature Discussion then the whole community couldn't participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back