• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: Can we have more emoticons please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't like the implication that the people wanting smilies are a bunch of ignorant and illiterate nitwits who are demanding the right to damage the forum.
There really is no implication. It's all in your head. I just don't like them, because I think them cheesy and generally crap. But, then, it's not really my decision as to what happens, is it?

Judging by certain people's signatures, it is...;)

I'm glad to hear that "You mean you can't express yourself with words on a forum where one would expect to find literacy?" doesn't imply ignorance and illiteracy on the part of the people asking.

I just don't like them, because I think them cheesy and generally crap.

I agree. I don't really have much need for them so I don't really care whether we get hundreds more or they disappear.

I knew there was a reason you have the keys to the executive washroom!

Great idea. (imagine a thumbs up icon here)

LOL, I said to myself, some people will go argghh to my idea (not mentioning names) and others will laugh, so let's see who's who!;)

Stewart's worst nightmare....:D

And if he thinks the smilies we're using are schlocky, those Smiley Central ones would really make his day...

Kmon Stewart, it would be cool!!! Like the one that Libra just posted would be cool... or a bee afoolstown.com_sm_bee.gif (thats my new fave thanks to Champagne - thanks champagne!)

Why? What would be the point of having more?
Sheesh, that's a serious question, coming from a serious guy. Well, I'm a guy too, and serious. I understand this site attracts people who are well versed and gregarious. But, it is nice to see humorous pictures sometimes, and smiles comes in all colors, instead of just black and white (sometimes, rarely, red) texts. While inserting emoticons in your writings is similar to smiling while you're talking face to face. Isn't it nice to see the listener's or speaker's bright countenace when you're conversing? I try to pinpoint such charismatic habits toward my children when I'm outside or even watching T.V. (Although I don't watch much TV.) And when you bring bright and friendly attitudes, more visitors of this site may participate. Thereby, visiting the site more often, bringing in higher 'ratings' (is it?). Furthermore to point out that it makes good business sense to such a serious people like us, bringing abundance of joy in smiles and values that may benefit all of us.
:)

I have no real problem with smilies as long as they're not overused, but why do they need to be added to this site? There are tons of smiley sites out there that offer a lot more smilies than this one could ever hope to do. If you want to use lots of different smilies, why not simply find them on another site that allows hotlinking and link to them in your posts?

I'd rather they were added to the site instead of encouraging people to post their own. It makes them easier to adblock.

Sheesh, that's a serious question, coming from a serious guy.
I'm serious? Amazing, as I'd never thought that.

Isn't it nice to see the listener's or speaker's bright countenace when you're conversing?
That's what avatars are for.

I quite like the fact that people are posting pointless smilies from photobucket and the like, because my work is filtering them out.

And when you bring bright and friendly attitudes, more visitors of this site may participate.
I'll tell you one thing, it doesn't quite work like that. I was once a member of another book forum which prides itself on being the friendliest book forum on the web. The admin were - probably still are - more interested in getting their numbers up than encouraging interesting chat* and when you go along you get post after post of whirling banner waving smilies, awful balloon .gifs and all manner of grotesqueries - and no book chat. Too busy cushioning each other to disagree on books, which is the best part of book discusssion.

* One incident involved my review of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, which I didn't like, someone disagreed with me, I said that's okay, and then the admin weighed in on me because I was being nasty.

Furthermore to point out that it makes good business sense to such a serious people like us, bringing abundance of joy in smiles and values that may benefit all of us.
Personally, I'm not interested in "good business sense" as I don't see a penny from the site anyway.

I don't care either way, but like beergood said , I would not like to see them overused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back