• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
All we are saying....is please ditch the count. All we are ssaaaaaaaaying........is please ditch the count...... :)

SFG75 said:
I wasn't the first one to post a concern about this. I doubt Kenny is off his rocker
Steady on, lets not make statements we can't substantiate.

As people seem to be making assumptions about my opinions, I’ll have to state them for a third time in this thread (Peder you were right, three times the charm).
I’ve got no problems with the post count being restricted to the on-topic sub-forums, and no problem with it being removed at all; I honestly don’t see what purpose it serves.

I don’t think that all posts in off-topic forums are ‘inane drivel’, nor do I think all posts in the on-topic ones contain the wisdom of the ages. As far as I can tell no one else on here is trying to say that either. However I can see battle lines being drawn up and that has been an on-going thing for a while now. No good will come of this, and indeed we seem to have lost a number of long standing members recently.

If people really want to worry about the forum I would respectfully suggest that there are more important things to concern us, things that affect all book forums. Like, why are the same fifty-odd books and twenty odd authors being discussed all the time? Why on an international book forum are 90+ percent of books discussed written in English? From what I can see the quality of discussion on this board is not being limited by people posting in the General chat area as much as it is by our own inability to see past what is displayed at eyelevel in our bookstores.
I don’t post much in the on-topic forums, but that’s not because I’m lured away by chit-chat in other areas, more the knowledge that the sorts of things I read just aren’t talked about here; and yes, I have tried initiating discussion about these authors. I would refer people back to my first post in this thread http://forums.thebookforum.com/showpost.php?p=136539&postcount=3
And ask how come I can talk about all these writers in a one-2-one conversation in an off-topic area but large numbers of them are never mentioned in the areas that are supposed to count?
Perhaps instead of spending so much energy arguing over nothing we could increase the quality of the site by realising that the English-speaking world doesn’t have the monopoly on good books?

Well said, Kenny, and agreed.

Now I'm just sorry I actually posted something while I was too tired to make what I meant perfectly clear, because it is apparently very despicable to not have been able to express what one wanted.

*shrug*

I too have already agreed that the post count is an unnecessary thing. And as I stated in my very first post on this forum: I was surprised to find a post count on an intellectual forum such as this. The reason is simple enough. No matter what people say a post count will always work as an encouragement to post more not to post better, it will always imply that there is prestige in having a buttload of posts. And while members can attain ranks through posting on other sites we don't have that here either, so there isn't even that little cute feature the post count could be used for. As such the post count tells us nothing other than that someone has posted lots or little - it's not useful, so I'd say get rid of it.

KS said:
Why on an international book forum are 90+ percent of books discussed written in English?
Not the topic at hand, but an interesting question. I think it's because the bulk of the active members is from an English speaking country, and the ones that aren't, myself included, read books in English, as opposed to books in their own language.

I could start a thread on a Dutch book I've written (and I'd have to think hard and long to find one), but I doubt it'd get much response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back