• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peder said:
PS: Please allow me to say I am truly sorry to have used an example that has injected the words segregation or discrimination into this forum. They already have specific meanings which are quite different from what we are talking about, so I invite any and all to think of better less derogatory terms for this discussion.
Peder
Severance and inequity?

Seriously, this thread has spread into a wicked fire.

sirmyk said:
Severance and inequity?

Seriously, this thread has spread into a wicked fire.

Well, it's clear that this proposal is to punish and to somehow differentiate heavy g.c. posters from the rest of the crowd. While the backers of it won't admit it, at least one person has implied that it's the goal of the rule change. Equating members to loafers who drink all the coffee and who eat the bread, celarly shows that there is disdain from one group towards the other. I knew that when the whole "it'll help newbies when it comes to books" thing came up, that it was a mere facade for the real undercurrent-there are too many people who don't post like us and who are making it too crowded here at TBF. They are hogging the coffee and Danish bread!!.

Can we not be happy drinking our coffee, discussing books, and farting all at once, or must we discuss books only, save the coffee for later, and try to hold it in?

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have tried to make an analogy in the middle of the night when not being fully awake.

It didn't at all represent what I wanted to say, it seems.

*sigh*

I'll refrain from making up anymore similar examples since I apparently am inept at making anything that'll actually say what I want it to.

I am tired and have just been accused of racism on another forum so add bitchy to that description.

Now listen here and listen closely: I do NOT mind that those posters are here. I do NOT mind that General Chat exists. There's a reason I haven't abolished all sorts of off-topic chats on the forum *I* am an Admin for, I know it's a good thing it's there, it *is* the necessary coffee break for everyone and I make use of it myself. I do NOT mind that people post - even post excessively - in topics with no content to speak of - peace be with them, it doesn't ruin my sleep.

What won't ruin my sleep either but will definitely have me puzzled is the day I receive that jubilee t-shirt with portraits and names of people I dont know and have never talked to. I would be puzzled and what is meant as a nice gesture would be empty and would mean nothing. Since the club members pay for being members they can hardly be called parasites - just so-called passive members. They have the phenomenon at a club my father is a member of. Active members and Passive members, the active ones are those who meet up every week and take part of club projects and put time and effort into the shows, the Passive members don't show up regularly, but do show up at gatherings, parties and whatnot, they're generally just supporters. They have no say whatsoever in how club projects are to be shaped, they are expected to stay away from said projects, they might actually ruin plans others have made, since these members are not in on said plans. These Passive members of course pay a smaller membership fee than the Active members do, is this punishment? No, it merely reflects reality.

And with your talk of under-currents and facades you are once again assigning all opinions stated here to one person.

So let me put it plainly: Yes, I do believe it is okay to say that people are different. I do believe it is okay to acknowledge posts on the forum main focus as being more relevant than off-topic posts. This does not mean off-topic posts should be abolished, by no means do I think they should, but since it's so important that not even the forum's main focus stand out as more important, I suggest we get forums for Soccer, Kung-Fu, Violin playing, renaissance dresses, Queen Victoria, Johannesburg, and the T'ang dynasty, because they are severely underrepresented here.

Not that I expect anyone to understand what I mean. After all I'm a bloody elitist whom it's not worth listening to anyway, because I think some people are better than others. Yes, of bloody course I do. There are people I like to spend my evenings with and there are people I wouldn't get within two miles distance of, however my personal preferences are not relevant here the forum topic is.

We have a forum - let's compare it to a theme party. This forum is about books, so let's proritise everything that has to do with books and keep everything else at a lower rank, just like at a party with an Italian Renaissance theme you don't make decorations that would belong in an 1980s punk teen's bedroom. It's as simple as that.

Jesus fucking christ, people!

How the hell does a simple suggestion about altering the system governing the postcount turn into a debate (if that) regarding elitism, snobbery, segregation, hidden agenda's, secret undercurrents. I mean, fucking hell, racism has been mentioned?

Think, dammit!

Maybe this, right here, is what's wrong with this forum. Whatever the **** it is.

sirmyk said:
Can we not be happy drinking our coffee, discussing books, and farting all at once, or must we discuss books only, save the coffee for later, and try to hold it in?

LOL-I don't know about two of the three, but here-the coffee is on me.

th_coffee.jpg

Martin said:
Jesus fucking christ...
You rang?

How the hell does a simple suggestion about altering the system governing the postcount turn into a debate (if that) regarding elitism, snobbery, segregation, hidden agenda's, secret undercurrents. I mean, fucking hell, racism has been mentioned?
It's strange... lately everything here starts a debate. I don't think Stewart had this in mind when he first started this thread. And Peder did not mean to kindle a fire. I think this is simple misunderstaning on multiple parts.

Think, dammit!
Agreed.

Maybe this, right here, is what's wrong with this forum. Whatever the **** it is.
I can always tell when something bothers you, Martin. You no longer add "Cheers" to the ends of your posts... I miss that.

Can this thread be closed like the many others before it?

Edit: I can type the word "****" over and over again in a follow-up post if it helps.

Jesus fucking christ, people!

How the hell does a simple suggestion about altering the system governing the postcount turn into a debate (if that) regarding elitism, snobbery, segregation, hidden agenda's, secret undercurrents.

I would provide quotes, but they have been provided a good number of times. Not only that, but it's hard to figure out what people mean since what they post is not what they mean.

sirmyk said:
Can this thread be closed like the many others before it?

Not until everything has been repeated three times.......by each and every person in turn.
Just a thought :D
Peder

SFG said:
I would provide quotes, but they have been provided a good number of times.
That's just it, you can't. All you can do is pull up the same old quotes and spread your conspiracy theories. All you can do is pull up the same old quotes and attach to them a meaning you happen to think they have. An opinion to which, incidentally, you are entitled.

But come on, do you really think that there are people here who want to 'segregate' the members? Do you, truly? Or does everybody here, like you, just want to make the most of their forum experience?

For you, sirmyk,

Cheers

StillILearn said:
Good thing we don't have access to nucular weapons.

You're telling me!. You people got my cat so agitated that he's on a rampage through the house.

th_catgun.gif

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's just it, you can't. All you can do is pull up the same old quotes and spread your conspiracy theories. All you can do is pull up the same old quotes and attach to them a meaning you happen to think they have. An opinion to which, incidentally, you are entitled.

I wasn't the first one to post a concern about this. I doubt Kenny is off his rocker, and Peder is one cool customer. I doubt they have interpreted things wrongs as they are particularly sharp fellows.

But come on, do you really think that there are people here who want to 'segregate' the members? Do you, truly? Or does everybody here, like you, just want to make the most of their forum experience?

Yes, because the other explanations have totally been blown out of the water. The original comments about separating those who read vs. who posts "inane" material was quickly pointed out and then swept under the rug. Needing a new reason, the part about helping the newbies who PM someone with a high post count who could be wrong about books took shape. People saw through that one real quick. After that, we are to now believe that the ballroom analogy was an error. I mean come on, negating participation in one thread based on the judgment that it is "lesser" is clearly the motivation here. The other comments are about as tenuous and believable as a used car salesman's promise.

Motokid said:
Stewart, would it be out of line for me, and completely hypocritical of me to ask that you ask the mods to close this thread until Darren can look at your request?

I feel that everything that could be said, has been said, and that since this is a decision that only Darren can make, only bad things can happen by keeping this thread open.

If Darren and/or the mods need more feedback they can open the thread back up when they are ready to consider this proposal.

Just a suggestion, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on closing this thread.

This was my post back at post #82....still applies.....Stewart? Can we close this thread until Darren can get a chance to voice in? Please?

I wasn't the first one to post a concern about this. I doubt Kenny is off his rocker, and Peder is one cool customer. I doubt they have interpreted things wrongs as they are particularly sharp fellows.
My point is, just because one, or two, or hell, even three people think it, doesn't make it so. However sharp they are. If three people's opinions create reality, then hell, I'm taking two buds to the bank tomorrow.

Lets ditch the entire count, how's that?

Um, I'd say I second the move, but that dirty rotten Peder beat me to it :D
Really, I think this has dragged long enough, and if the main point is the post count, then its a minor one. I know one forum that puts the individual post counts in the member's profile if anyone cares to look, but it's not on each post as it is here. That might be a viable option if the moderators think so. But even if they aren't interested in that, let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back