• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: December 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

Suggestions for December 2004.

Theme: Christmas.

This thread will close on 1st October.

Please, for the love of baby Jesus - no Dickens!!

Grisham wrote this book about Christmas, didn't he?

A Painted House?

Cheers

He wrote a book called 'Skipping Christmas' but I really wouldn't recommend it. It seemed to me a completely pointless book - the only reason I kept reading it was because I hoped there would be a good twist at the end. Sadly not.

Can Reindeer Fly? The Science of Christmas by Roger Highfield. It's a great book, a handy conversation starter for the Crimbo dinner. Non-fiction though, but very entertaining.

David Sedaris has a Christmas collection that is hilarious. Essays, so also non-fiction.

Rebirth Of A Realist

The publisher says it,"Is the right book for exactly the right time."
IT IS! I found it at Amazon, but the web is www.erols.com/suttonbear.
I often go into stores looking for works that say something that I agree with. I found it here.
Blackbear

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris seems like it might be something other than the usual Christmas tripe. I also came across a novel called Christmas past. For those of us who don't celebrate Christmas, perhaps we might consider something on a general winter theme? Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson strikes me as a nice, curl up by the fire kind of book.

buddi

The Catcher in the Rye is set around Christmas time. There isn't any exchanging of Christmas presents though so I don't know if it qualifies. I hope it does because it's one of my favourites!

Lamb by Christopher Moore - it's not really about Christmas, but about Jesus and he's what Christmas should actually be about, right? ;)

And even if it pisses Martin off - I really think that Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol is one of the best "Christmas books" ever! So why not put it on this list?

Do we have to do Christmas?

What about "December 6" by Martin Cruz Smith, just to get away from the Christmas theme? I'm reallyl not a Christmas person at all. Or maybe The Best American Short Stories of 2004, available now?

Don't have many books sbout Chrismas myself. Just Dickens and this book:

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_1574410717.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's not bad, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it brilliant. Oh it's also pretty hard to get hold of now, so just forget I mentioned it.

Nosferatu Man said:
That's a pretty good quality santa mask that guy's got there!

True. But the Gary Numan mask he's got on is even better! (One for the slightly older Brits there).

-----------------------------------------

BTW I realise the thread officially closed on October 1st, but if anyone wants an unofficial, Christmas-related suggetion I can recommend Silent Night by Stanley Weintraub; the true story of the Christmas Truce of 1914, when First World War soldiers laid down their weapons and came together to share food, gifts and carols in No Man's Land.

Hehe, I know what Gary Numan looks like (he was on a programme on TV the other night incidentally) but that guy-in-the-picture's face didn't strike that particular chord with me.

I think I'll buy that book though. I saw a programme on the Christmas Truce last month and I was crying into my beard whilst watching it. I had vaguely heared of the Truce but the programme completely opened my eyes to what had happened. I couldn't help noticing that it wasn't an English soldier who started the truce though. I was pretty disappointed about that but I'm not really surprised he was a German soldier. Can you tell I'm not very patriotic?

The truce wasn't an isolated event, though. I've read that there were locally arranged ceasefires all across the frontline throughout the war; troops would often fire over one another's heads, and would even tip the enemy off if they were to be visited by officers; they'd warn them to keep their heads down as they'd have to take more accurate aim for the duration of the visit. It's an uplifting story, but one which is ultimately a sad one; we all know what happened next.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

Well.. the theme isn't christmas, but it does snow, if I'm not terribly wrong.

A Brush with Darkness by Lisa Fittipaldi

Non fiction book about an artist who teaches herself to paint after losing her sight. www.lisafittipaldi.com I would love this to be an upcoming book for discussion as I think it would generate a very interesting discussion about "what is genius?"
"is art something that is generated from long practice and study or is it resident in all of us?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back