• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: December 2008 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-fiction choices/options:

1) Egan's Rats: The Untold Story of the Prohibition-era Gang That Ruled St. Louis
2) Leviathan
3) The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle

Two humor recommendations

I like Naked by David Sedaris. Or Cougars, Poptarts & One Night Stands by Billy Conroy. Two of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

That does look quite interesting, I may read regardless of if it is BOTM or not :)

I have not read it, (just to let you know) so I can't comment on it, but like you Ronny , it is going on my to buy list.:)

Aren't you the one that keeps a short reading pile? :lol:

Do you see what I am reading? One comes back and forth to work because it is small, and the other one ,hardcover, gets read at home.

With Sons and Lovers done, the other two should be done by the 20th, then maybe I can fit in one more before 1st September.
Four books this month is pretty good.(for me)

I am a multitasker.:D

and by the way Robert, that is between, cooking, cleaning,washing ,gardening and a few more things;)

Do you see what I am reading? One comes back and forth to work because it is small, and the other one ,hardcover, gets read at home.

With Sons and Lovers done, the other two should be done by the 20th, then maybe I can fit in one more before 1st September.
Four books this month is pretty good.(for me)

I am a multitasker.:D

and by the way Robert, that is between, cooking, cleaning,washing ,gardening and a few more things;)

Multitasker? Isn't that the latest term for someone that tries to do too many things at one time?

Something fun and sunny for the Winter...

I know humor is not a category often preferred, but I consider this piece great literature:

My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell.

During long, cold dreary months in the northern hemisphere, perhaps some Greek sunshine and family hilarity, along with a peppering of science may lift some spirits.

The ensuing comments and reviews would be a riot, says I.

Also if it has not been suggested/book-of-the-monthed already, I am currently re-reading the Count of Monte Cristo, so I hold it up as well.

I know humor is not a category often preferred, but I consider this piece great literature:

My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell.

During long, cold dreary months in the northern hemisphere, perhaps some Greek sunshine and family hilarity, along with a peppering of science may lift some spirits.

This sounds good, is it a stand alone read ? because there are two other books.

Sure Nuff!

This sounds good, is it a stand alone read ? because there are two other books.

Absolutely it does, for one can leave it and not read the other two at all, or even know they exist and still the book is good. In my opinion the other two did not measure up to the first, though they had their moments.

Mr. Durrell knew how to describe all the flaws of a person and yet not sound scathing, managing somehow to appear noble for having written all this down despite the fact that his relatives were all deftly exposed.

"You have no idea what that Dickens-like caricature has done to my literary image!"
(second book)

Absolutely it does, for one can leave it and not read the other two at all, or even know they exist and still the book is good. In my opinion the other two did not measure up to the first, though they had their moments.

Mr. Durrell knew how to describe all the flaws of a person and yet not sound scathing, managing somehow to appear noble for having written all this down despite the fact that his relatives were all deftly exposed.

"You have no idea what that Dickens-like caricature has done to my literary image!"
(second book)

If the characters are the same through all the books ,then I prefer to read all three.

(peder, incorrigible I tell you.;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back