• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: January 2011 BOTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libra

Not sure if this idea has already popped up as I've just raced to the last page. Since people are here from all over the world, what about nominating a book that is perhaps emblemic, or award-winning in their country? I can think of quite a few Australian literature examples as I'm sure others can for their own country. Maybe whoever is interested can suggest a book and then we vote on what to read?

I liked this idea so let's start suggestions.:)

I think that the thought was, for instance,you recommend something from Portugal and so on...

My suggestion: Joy Kogawa - Obasan

Mine is Eucalyptus by Murray Bail, it won two Australian awards in 1999 (and that doesn't necessarily mean it's good, but I really enjoyed it), and it's film rights were purchased by Russell Crowe but it didn't get off the ground. I have a feeling his ego may have had something to do with it. Anyway, it's an unusual book and very Australian. :)

I am suggesting Burmese Days by George Orwell. It is not from Australia but I don't know any Australian books.

Do you know any Thai books that you can suggest? The idea is that we make suggestions from the country we're from. Therefore I suggested an Australian book, Landslide could suggest a book from Portugal and so on....... :)

I would then suggest Bangkok Haunts by John Burdett. There are many Thai novels which would probably be hard to find in the west. Although John Burdett lives in Thailand his novels are for sale in Europe and US.

Do you know any Thai books that you can suggest? The idea is that we make suggestions from the country we're from. Therefore I suggested an Australian book, Landslide could suggest a book from Portugal and so on....... :)

In that case I recomend Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago. He won the Nobel prize in literature in 1998 and I think he'll be one of the easiest portuguese authors to find their work translated in english.

I think that the thought was, for instance,you recommend something from Portugal and so on...

My suggestion: Joy Kogawa - Obasan

Libra, I just googled it and it sounds like something I would definitely want to read, I think I'll order it even if it's not picked. Thanks!

I would like to suggest two books by Juan Gabriel Vásquez. If you are interested in South American literature, you should definitely read his work.

The Secret History of Costaguana

and

The Informers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back