• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: June 2006 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Thread will close April 15.

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc).

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested (with only one book per member) until the 10 voting slots are filled.

I nominate Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Following is an exerpt of the review on Amazon.com
The narrator, John Ames, is 76, a preacher who has lived almost all of his life in Gilead, Iowa. He is writing a letter to his almost seven-year-old son, the blessing of his second marriage. It is a summing-up, an apologia, a consideration of his life. Robinson takes the story away from being simply the reminiscences of one man and moves it into the realm of a meditation on fathers and children, particularly sons, on faith, and on the imperfectability of man.

The reason for the letter is Ames's failing health. He wants to leave an account of himself for this son who will never really know him. His greatest regret is that he hasn't much to leave them, in worldly terms. "Your mother told you I'm writing your begats, and you seemed very pleased with the idea. Well, then. What should I record for you?" In the course of the narrative, John Ames records himself, inside and out, in a meditative style. Robinson's prose asks the reader to slow down to the pace of an old man in Gilead, Iowa, in 1956. Ames writes of his father and grandfather, estranged over his grandfather's departure for Kansas to march for abolition and his father's lifelong pacifism. The tension between them, their love for each other and their inability to bridge the chasm of their beliefs is a constant source of rumination for John Ames. Fathers and sons.

I second Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and would gladly welcome the opportunity to reread it. Despite the narrator's vocation it is not 'religious' in any sense of the word, but rather more about 'humanity' in the broadest sense of that word.
Peder

June already? Jeez!

I would 2nd Gilead but that's already been done, and a third; so I doubt it needs a fourth.

Therefore I'll nominate Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, since it's been nominated for the last 23 months or something.

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0413757102.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amazon.co.uk Review
Originally published in 1961 to great critical acclaim, Richard Yates's Revolutionary Road subsequently fell into obscurity in the UK, only to be rediscovered in a new edition published in 2001. Its rejuvenation is due in large part to its continuing emotional and moral resonance for an early 21st-century readership. April and Frank Wheeler are a young, ostensibly thriving couple living with their two children in a prosperous Connecticut suburb in the mid-1950s. However, like the characters in John Updike's similarly themed Couples, the self-assured exterior masks a creeping frustration at their inability to feel fulfilled or happy in their relationships or careers. Frank is mired in a well-paid but boring office job and April is a housewife still mourning the demise of her hoped-for acting career. Determined to identify themselves as superior to the mediocre sprawl of suburbanites who surround them, they decide to move to France where they will be better able to develop their true artistic sensibilities, free of the consumerist demands of capitalist America. However, as their relationship deteriorates into an endless cycle of squabbling, jealousy and recriminations, their trip and their dreams of self-fulfilment are thrown into jeopardy. Yates's incisive, moving and often very funny prose weaves a tale that is at once a fascinating period piece and a prescient anticipation of the way we live now. Many of the cultural motifs now seem quaintly dated--the early evening cocktails, Frank's illicit lunch breaks with his secretary, the way Frank isn't averse to knocking April around when she speaks out of turn all seem to belong to a different world--and yet the quiet desperation at thwarted dreams reverberates as much now as it did 40 years ago. Like F Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, this novel conveys, with brilliant erudition, the poverty at the soul of many wealthy Americans and the exacting cost of chasing the American Dream. --Jane Morris

Synopsis
The story of Frank and April Wheeler, a bright, beautiful and talented couple who have lived on the assumption that greatness is just around the corner. With heartbreaking compassion and remorseless clarity, Richard Yates shows how they mortgage their spiritual birthright, betraying themselves and each other.

I'd suggest The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips, which I've just finished, and which brings up a lot of multidimensional questions about the believability of fiction.

http://www.theegyptologist.com/synopsis.html
tells about half the story, the rest you get when you read the book. I don't want to say too much, but this novel will keep surprising you, although, granted, it is a slight bit too long.

*mrkgnao*

I nominate When We Were Gods by Colin Falconer:

courtesy of Library Journal:

The most complete woman ever to have existed, the most womanly woman and the most queenly queen, a person to be wondered at, to whom the poets have been able to add nothing, and whom dreamers find always at the end of their dreams." This is how Theophile Gautier described Cleopatra in 1845, and this is how she is portrayed by historical novelist Falconer in 2000. Over the centuries, the name Cleopatra has become synonymous with decadence, sensuality, and seduction. While it is true that she could claim both Julius Caesar and Marcus Antonius as lovers and fathers to her children, in this novel she is far more than a woman of mere physical passion. First and foremost, Cleopatra thought of herself as ruler of Egypt and worked tirelessly to preserve her nation in the never-ending battle against Roman imperialism. Although used ruthlessly by both Caesar and Marc Anthony in their pursuit of power, the brilliant Cleopatra was not to be pitied. In a prose style as provocative as the scent of Lebanese cedar and vivid as Eastern sun on white marble, Falconer interweaves the themes of power and politics, desire and love to form a web in which the rulers of the ancient civilized world walked a thin line between glory and utter destruction. Recommended.--Jane Baird, Anchorage Municipal Libs., AK Copyright 2000 Cahners Business Information.

I would just like to say that Gilead is well written but unless you are a) a Christian fundamentalist; or b) a voyeur, there's little to like.

I nominate This Thing Of Darkness by the late Harry Thompson.

I never said it was; but it attempts to align every little action with some Christian tenet, which was tedious. I could never connect with narrative because it wasn't "written" for me.

The character's son. It made it too distant. This thread, however, is not the one for discussing this book.

I'd like to nominate Out by Natsuo Kirino

From Publishers Weekly
Four women who work the night shift in a Tokyo factory that produces boxed lunches find their lives twisted beyond repair in this grimly compelling crime novel, which won Japan's top mystery award, the Grand Prix, for its already heralded author, now making her first appearance in English. Despite the female bonding, this dark, violent novel is more evocative of Gogol or Dostoyevsky than Thelma and Louise. When Yayoi, the youngest and prettiest of the women, strangles her philandering gambler husband with his own belt in an explosion of rage, she turns instinctively for help to her co-worker Masako, an older and wiser woman whose own family life has fallen apart in less dramatic fashion. To help her cut up and get rid of the dead body, Masako recruits Yoshie and Kuniko, two fellow factory workers caught up in other kinds of domestic traps. In Snyder's smoothly unobtrusive translation, all of Kirino's characters are touching and believable. And even when the action stretches to include a slick loan shark from Masako's previous life and a pathetically lost and lonely man of mixed Japanese and Brazilian parentage, the gritty realism of everyday existence in the underbelly of Japan's consumer society comes across with pungent force.

Stewart said:
I would just like to say that Gilead is well written but unless you are a) a Christian fundamentalist; or b) a voyeur, there's little to like.
I nominate This Thing Of Darkness by the late Harry Thompson.
Stewart,
That's worth a double-take! No pun intended. Should make for a lively discussion when and if.
Peder

I'd like to second Out. Its a great book and came very close to being discussed last time so I think it should be given another chance. :)

tartan_skirt said:
I'd like to second Out. Its a great book and came very close to being discussed last time so I think it should be given another chance. :)

Yus! It was head-to-head with Jonathon Strange & Dr Norrell for ages. I really thought it had a shot! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back