• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: November 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Litany said:
I'll be reading the Wordsworth Classics version. It's complete and unabridged, and it only costs £1.50. Wordworth Classics rock.
Sure do! On Friday, I got 4 for $16.04 (including taxes). That's Canadian dollars! They were having a 3 for $12 sale, plus I have a discount card! Guess I'll have to go back to grab The Three Musketeers.

RaVeN said:
The version I have is a hardback, 628 pages in length. It doesn't seem too short to me. :) I hope it's not the abridged one.

I think that will be unabridged. Mine is 500 and something, and it's small type, with unabridged scrawled across the front cover. It's got an introduction too. So, 628 pages, taking into account differences in translation, text size, margins, and introduction if you've got one and all the other gubbins, I reckon you've got the full version.

I don't think translation will be such as issue with this book as it is story and not language driven. I'll be reading either the paperback Wordsworth or the translation from my 1894 Dumas set, depending on how portable I need it to be at the time.

So how many people are on board for the Musketeers? I know six voted for it. Anyone else?

Re translations, I think it makes a difference to enjoyment, and can also be important in comparing opinions, depending on the level of discussion.

For instance, I love Simenon's Maigret stories, but I've found the partciular translation makes a huge difference in how well the French atmosphere, turn of phrase, and culture are conveyed. Some translators prefer to translate culture, something which detracts from a book for me. I prefer an almost literal translation that conveys some of the idiom of French, rather than striving to find an English equivalent.

Maigret is not exactly high-falutin, but the art IS in the language, even if it's story-driven.

Novella

Everyone,

Sorry I got this thread offtrack by posting about September's choice. I was not in the right spot. Darren, if you want to move those, go right ahead.

Re November, how about Hard Times by Charles Dickens? I want to read that this year and others might be interested.

Can I make a second suggestion? If so, House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus?

Novella

Thread closed now.

These are the suggestions (and number of people suggesting)

Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho
Prey by Michael Crichton (2)
Falling Angels by Tracey Chelivars
House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus (2)
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (2)
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
A time for dancing by Davida Willis Hurwin
Blindness by Jose Saramago (2)
Hard Times by Charles Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back