• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: October 2007 Author of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

The chosen theme for October is "Author of the Month" one author will be chosen from member suggestions. Authors suggested should have a body of work no smaller than three books (books do not need to be of the same genre). Suggestions and voting will take place in June and July to allow members more time to prepare for this discussion.

Suggest an author to discuss!

What a strange theme to have. Especially in October when you'd expect the obligatory horror novel. Anyway, I'm going to suggest something for once: Quarantine by Jim Crace.

Four travellers enter the Judean desert to fast and pray for their lost souls. They encounter the evil merchant, Musa, who holds them in his tyrannical power. Yet there is also another, a faint figure in the distance, fasting for 40 days, a Galilean who they say has the power to work miracles.

So the author is to have at least 3 books published? :confused:

Yes, I chose that as an arbitrary number as an author with only one book to discuss might as well go into the regular book of the month discussions. I figured three was a good number because it doesn't exclude too many authors, but gives the membership a little bit to choose from.

What a strange theme to have. Especially in October when you'd expect the obligatory horror novel. Anyway, I'm going to suggest something for once: Quarantine by Jim Crace.

It was a theme chosen by the members. Horror has yet to be chosen as a book of the month theme. In fact, genre fiction period hasn't been popular in the theme voting.

Anyway, I'm just looking for authors, so I'll count this as Jim Crace.

Boy I wanted to post Khaled Hosseini but he only has two novels (The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns). So I'll go with John Updike.

Anyone for Iain Banks? :D

For authors with a large selection of books should there be a limit to the books discussed? It might get a bit too muddled with confused spoilers otherwise and people who haven't read all of the authors work may be confused and annoyed that they can't read the thread for fear of spoilers.

So it's discussing the author rather than the books?

I think that the original intent was to choose and author and then vote on a single work. I like the idea of discussing a number of works, but I suppose it would probably be best to choose one specific book and then work other books into the discussion. I honestly don't care all that much what way we do it. Perhaps folks could suggest their preferences here.

I was also under the impression that we would select an author and vote on one book only to discuss. That's the way I'd rather see this handled.

Maybe we could pick three books by the chosen author, since they all must have at least three, to compare? After the author is chosen we could vote for the 3 books to have. Members could decide whether they'd like to read all three or just one.

Maybe we could pick three books by the chosen author, since they all must have at least three, to compare? After the author is chosen we could vote for the 3 books to have. Members could decide whether they'd like to read all three or just one.

I like that idea a lot. Anyone else agree? This discussion is exactly why I put this topic up early. I knew it would require some discussion prior to voting.

Maybe we could even pick a first & latest book by a long established writer, I'd like to read some books by Joyce Carol Oates and there's quite a few to choose from. John Irving, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back