• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: October 2011

How should we choose?

• Every member suggests 3 books

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Theme month

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Genre month

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Every member suggests an author

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landslide

There seems to be an interest in resuming BOTM, so this thread is for suggesting what to read in September (or October if you think we need more time to decide and get the book).

I've started a poll with a few options on how to choose the book that will be up till Friday.

If you have a suggestion on how to choose the book that I've not thought of, post it here and I'll add it to the poll.

There seems to be an interest in resuming BOTM, so this thread is for suggesting what to read in September (or October if you think we need more time to decide and get the book).

I've started a poll with a few options on how to choose the book that will be up till Friday.

If you have a suggestion on how to choose the book that I've not thought of, post it here and I'll add it to the poll.

Can we get an idea of how each option works?

For example, if genre month wins, do we then poll of genre type and then poll again on specific books in that genre?

I like all the options but I want to get an idea of how each works before voting!

Thanks.

:cool:

For example, if genre month wins, do we then poll of genre type and then poll again on specific books in that genre?
Yes. Or we can get to a consensus on the genre (it has happened) that allows us to step out the poll of genre type and advance to the poll for the books in that genre.

The same would be valid for the theme month.

I think the way BoTM was run before was fine. We will always have an 'off' month, possibly two, depending on different things. I think if we can build a decent culture/social community around the forum, more people will be likely to contribute and turn up however the selection process for titles is handled.

The problem is always going to be someone suggests something, then doesn't turn up to foster discussion around their topic/title/genre etc. We need to somehow encourage engagement in the process.

Looking at other threads about this topic - or actually looking at the earlist BoTM threads - I notice certain longer books were given two, as opposed to just one month.

However the voting process is handled, could we possible revisit this aspect of BoTM? That would allow people longer to read certain titles, and/or for others to get into more involved debates about such texts.

I think the way BoTM was run before was fine. We will always have an 'off' month, possibly two, depending on different things. I think if we can build a decent culture/social community around the forum, more people will be likely to contribute and turn up however the selection process for titles is handled.
We were able to have a few "productive" straight months and then there seemed to be a generalized lack of interest. That is why we're taking a break in August...
Also there are books that generate more interest than others and that's normal. To expect a massive participation every month would be, I think, unrealistic.

The problem is always going to be someone suggests something, then doesn't turn up to foster discussion around their topic/title/genre etc. We need to somehow encourage engagement in the process.
I agree. But that's a problem we still haven't found a solution for...

Looking at other threads about this topic - or actually looking at the earlist BoTM threads - I notice certain longer books were given two, as opposed to just one month.

However the voting process is handled, could we possible revisit this aspect of BoTM? That would allow people longer to read certain titles, and/or for others to get into more involved debates about such texts.
That's always a possibility. In fact we did it last year with The Brothers Karamazov. It was our Summer (June, July and August) BOTM.

Thanks for your reply Landslide. I admit there are no easy answers to some points. But I have a few more ideas:

Maybe we could remove the time constraints, and in effect, change the whole nature of the 'Book of the Month' to just 'Formal Book Discussion Group'. The month implies a time limit, possibly putting people off, and certain titles may take longer to read than others. We will still discuss books, with new titles introduced say on a monthly-basis (or longer), and there will be a structure implied to stop it being general book chat, thus differentiating from the larger forum.

With the month/date removed from the thread title, there's also the possibility that the discussion may stay open for longer, as people don't feel obliged to drop out as the month ends, or stop to read the next book.

It could be that threads stay open for years with people dipping in and out. I see that they do this sometimes with titles in the last year, but this way there would probably be even more interaction with specific titles over a longer period of time.

The time-limit was never rigid, and to me it functioned as a way to have people reading and discussing the same book at the same time. People shouldn't feel obliged to drop out as the month ends, or stop to read the next book. In fact, threads stay open long after that month and there's no problem if people resume the discussion years later. In fact I would love it if that happened!

So I don't think that time is really an issue here because we don't set a time limit at all. All we ask is that people who participate in the choice of the book for that month read it (even if they are not able to finish it in a month) and then participate in the discussion.

Well speaking as a relative newcomer, there are those of us who would like to join in but the books chosen so far have not held much appeal.

Changing the format might work to generate more interest. I know I'm keeping tabs on things to figure out what book is coming next. As far as the time restrictions go...its a message board. You have to figure that people could be posting on a discussion long since "ended". I know I posted about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies after the discussion closed. Was that a no no?

Well speaking as a relative newcomer, there are those of us who would like to join in but the books chosen so far have not held much appeal.
That will always happen... I don't think we can choose a book everyone will be interested in reading. All we can hope for is choosing one enough people are interested in reading. :)

Changing the format might work to generate more interest. I know I'm keeping tabs on things to figure out what book is coming next. As far as the time restrictions go...its a message board. You have to figure that people could be posting on a discussion long since "ended". I know I posted about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies after the discussion closed. Was that a no no?
Not at all. It's a definite yes yes! :D

How about posting some mystery suggestions?

The Mask of Ra by P.C. Doherty

I'm in the mood for more mysteries set in Ancient Egypt. The Lord Meren series gave me a thirst for it, heh!

How about 'Homicide in Hardcover' by Kate Carlisle - it's a part of a bibliophile mystery series. I was curious to read it; no idea if it's any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back