• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: October book of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ell

Thread will close September 1.

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.)

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Both sound interesting. The Historian has been on my TBR list for a short while now. Hadn't heard of The Shadow.... so followed the link - with thanks.

The Shadow of the Wind, I just bought it at a used book sale and it looks very good.

I recently started a thread to promote the work of ‘one of our own’.
Most here need no introduction to sirmyk .

While I still haven’t yet read it (I did get my copy yesterday though) I nominate this book not out of “loving” it but out of why-the-hell-not.

It’s always nice to help out someone, no?

Potter has your money now, Follett has your money now, you’ll read _The Historian_ *anyway* because that’s what you do; follow the crowd; support the mediocre, look for no new talent.

And it’s a rare occasion to have a book where the author him/herself can moderate/be available for the discussion.

Here’s the thread :

And here’s the back cover blurb:

“Michael Bailey brilliantly blends horror and drama, art and pop, wit and mystery in this series of five dark, intertwined tales. With homage to Stephen King, David Mitchell, and Edgar Allen Poe, Bailey beats his own backward path into the deep dark woods of the human psyche and turns everything upside down.

Enter a cruel "palindrome" world: a strangely symmetrical place where disturbing incidents displace the rain-saturated Mayberry calm of contemporary suburban Seattle. A young father fights his suicidal urges. A failing marriage of two entirely unlikable people begins to unravel. An old man given to bouts of mental "whiteness" remembers the cruelty of the orphanage where he spent his childhood and how the "whiteness" began. A psychiatrist strives to understand a mental patient whose several uncanny abilities suggest something other-worldly. A school bully and the gang of misfits he tortures take a playground war farther and farther...

A hidden sixth story, told in reverse and interwoven into the others, uncovers the sad life of the "palindrome" child Hannah and her struggling teenage mother.”

So.
Available through Amazon or your local shop can order it (via Ingram).
Hardcover and paperback available.

It will be October (there’s even a chapter called “Pumpkin carving”), so drop the best seller crap and pick up a book that may give you the chills and you can rap with the kid that wrote it.

http://www.palindromehannah.com/

j

Stewart said:
I'd like, however, to add The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It will give me a reason to read it.

Would it be because it’s simply _The da Vinci Code_ but with Dracula?
Simple proof that bad fiction is staining the publishing world?
Another badly written piece of pap; she, with no previous writing, was given a 2-bloody-million dollar advance for it, Hollywood rights already sold. Based on what premise: simple the pitch I gave above.

I really think I should write up _Lord of the Flies_ in space (as I jested on another thread)…
j

jay said:
Would it be because it’s simply _The da Vinci Code_ but with Dracula?

That must be it. I know Stewart's having trouble waiting for that third Robert Langdon book to come out. This must be his effort to fulfill his jones.

Stewart said:
It may be bad fiction but I've got to read it to find out.

Best to not give it your money (or get others interested in it - not that, sadly, this is a "ignore it and it will go away" situation) - best to give it a flip in a bookstore.
Preferably one with a heroin bar.

Needless to say with a 2 mill advance the marketing will be shoved down your nose and up your arse, so you’ll have no problems finding it…she’ll probably be featured on NPR (if she hasn’t already) and I can warn you, if they play a clip of her reading the book: get your plants our of the room, she killed my orchids…

j

jay said:
Best to not give it your money (or get others interested in it - not that, sadly, this is a "ignore it and it will go away" situation) - best to give it a flip in a bookstore.

Too late. :D

It came from Amazon at the start of the month along with The Remains of the Day, The Kite Runner, and The Shadow of the Wind.

My guilty pleasure is vampire stories and films, to be honest, and there isn't that many these days and most of them, I'll admit, are crap.

Needless to say with a 2 mill advance the marketing will be shoved down your nose and up your arse,

Yes, advances are getting ridiculous these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back