• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: September 2009 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if you guys have done any of thse, I did check the list but may have missed something:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (a neat view of Nazi Germany from the "regular" Germans perspective, heartbreaking and beautiful)

Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (a growing-up story that includes magic, first love, the Klan, the Beach Boys, and a murder mystery)

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (Great story about South Africa, racism, boxing and diamond mining, also coming of age story)

Roots by Alex Haley (the most important book for anyone to read, especially about slavery and family ties)

Forgive me if you guys have done any of thse, I did check the list but may have missed something:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (a neat view of Nazi Germany from the "regular" Germans perspective, heartbreaking and beautiful)

Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (a growing-up story that includes magic, first love, the Klan, the Beach Boys, and a murder mystery)

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (Great story about South Africa, racism, boxing and diamond mining, also coming of age story)

Roots by Alex Haley (the most important book for anyone to read, especially about slavery and family ties)

Hi MoreCowbell. I checked to see if we had a thread on Roots, but nothing came up. There's currently a thread in the Fiction section on The Book Thief, but that doesn't mean you can't nominate it for the September book discussion :).

The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch

1978 Man Booker Prize Winner

aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_en_thumb_f_fc_TheSeaTheSea.JPG_175px_TheSeaTheSea.JPGhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/TheSeaTheSea.JPG/175px-TheSeaTheSea.JPG

From inside the dust jacket of the 1978 edition
Charles Arrowby is one of life's rarities, a man who, after a brilliant but almost over-fulfilling career, has achieved contented retirement and perfect refuge, an isolated home by the sea. At first he is able to revel in his newfound privacy, to cook the spare but varied and delectable meals that are a kind of mania, to swim naked in the icy waters, to think back on his long and distinguished career as one of England's leading playwrights and directors. There is time as well to reflect on his successive affairs.
Beginning with his tutelage b an older actress, these were affairs which, however satisfying, had never lessened the pain of losing Hartley, his first love, who had suddenly spurned him and married another. So stunned had he been that he had never sought marriage himself.
Then the world begins to obtrude—both spectrally, in a succession of strange events from spontaneous midnight crashings to the sighting of a huge sea monster, and materially, in the form of a stream of unbidden visits from key figures out of his complex past. Finally comes the greatest shock of all, the appearance in the nearby village of Hartley—if this gray and dowdy apparition with a sullen and dangerous husband and a whimsical son can really be she. Charles reacts with a violence that shakes his moated world to its foundations.

Thanks Morecowbell, have you seen the Roots mini series?

I haven't seen the Roots miniseries but I really want to. I have loved LeVar Burton ever since the Reading Rainbow days, do you guys remember that show? Did they do a good job on the miniseries? The book is so amazingly moving--I cry when I read but Roots has been the only one to actually cause me to wail while hugging the book. Slightly embarassing :)

I haven't seen the Roots miniseries but I really want to. I have loved LeVar Burton ever since the Reading Rainbow days, do you guys remember that show? Did they do a good job on the miniseries? The book is so amazingly moving--I cry when I read but Roots has been the only one to actually cause me to wail while hugging the book. Slightly embarassing :)

If you get the chance,you should.It is amazing.

Here are my nominations:

- A Fraction of The Whole by Steve Toltz (my favourite book)
- The Boat by Nam Le
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Here are my nominations:

- A Fraction of The Whole by Steve Toltz (my favourite book)
- The Boat by Nam Le
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao sounds very good!!!!

These are the suggestions for September 2009 BOTM:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Boy's Life by Robert McCammon
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Roots by Alex Haley
A Fraction of The Whole by Steve Toltz (my favourite book)
The Boat by Nam Le
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

We need to pare down the list so we can create a poll. So far, Roots and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao are the only two that seem to have support.

Discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back