• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Susanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

I bought this book the day it came out in hardback, so must be a couple of years back now. I can remember reading the first hundred or so pages and was enjoying it to a degree. But I gave up on not long after the action had moved to London. I can remember a scene near the opening within a church where a character causes some magick to happen; other than that, very little.

I suppose I will read it one day as one of my little ambitions is to read all the books I actually own, which I know is never going to happen.

The beginning of the London part is a bit slow, but it definitely picks up from there.

I finished JS&MN a week ago and LOVED it. I thought the writing style was wonderful and the humor throughout often made me laugh. I agree with the comment above that it has a Dickenson feeling; I've also seen it described to have a Jane Austen type of humor, which I can see, as well. I hear Clarke is writing another book from the same era, but focusing on lower classes. Of course, JS&MN took her 10 years to write, so we may be waiting a while for this next book. I, myself, know that I will be purchasing it when it comes out, as I throughly enjoyed the world of JS&MN.

Back