• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Susanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Stewart

While watching a program about this year's MAN Booker Prize they mention that Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell had been longlisted but, on the view of the judges, did not make it to the final shortlist because of its length. It's over 800 pages in length.

Apparently it's set during the Napoleonic era but involves magic and is impressively written. It must be, because Neil Gaiman says so on the back. :rolleyes: He calls it the best fantasy written in the last seventy years so it must be even better than Lord of the Rings.

I saw it in Borders recently but didn't buy it as I'm going on holiday soon and need the savings over some big hardback. It's wrapped in plastic, too, so I couldn't peek at the prose. The reviews on Amazon appear favourable although there is the usual twat who thinks that it should be the next Da Vinci Code, or worse, The Rule of Four when it is supposedly far better than either of those titles and concerns much more.

Has anyone read this book?

Haven't read it yet but, as I said in another thread, am sorely tempted. (If Neil Gaiman says it's good . . . :D)

You know, if you ask at Borders, they will let you unwrap the plastic and have a looksee.

I am surprised, it's been on some bestseller lists here. It doesn't seem geared toward the general american public.

It got a fantastic write-up in the Sunday papers this weekend in the UK, and certainly made me want to rush out and buy. I have to say I am sorely tempted.....

For what it's worth:

I'm 500 pages into it now. It's very well written and not a book to breeze through, no matter the length. I've been at it for 2 weeks now and hope to savor it a few more. I've read many reviews that compare the writting to Jane Austin. I've never read anything by her but of course I thought of you, Ash, when I saw that.

Mr Norrell is the first main character. The only practicing magician in that time, he wishes to bring his talents to the British government in order to fight Napolean. An elder gentleman, he has studied his art for years and now wishes to revive the tradition of great English magic.

A hundred or so pages into it Mr Strange is introduced. He is a younger man with different views than his soon to be teacher but his aim in helping England is the same, to win the war and bring respect to English magic.

And the grand daddy of of English magicians from the past, a character that's sprinkled throughout, is The Raven King. Is this author brilliant or what? :D

There are a handfull of characters with a twinge of Dickens and her footnotes are something to behold.(some, so far, 3 pages in length). There is also the ocassional B&W drawing that remind me of something out of the early days of The Strand.

It supposedly took her 10 years to write this book and I can tell that she treated it with the love of a newborn child. And impressive work for any author, veteran or new.

RaVeN

On that glowing recommendation, I may have to pick it up on the way home. Recently started the Forest (Rutherfurd) but just haven't been entranced yet.

lol

You have been Brave Abu! Now... take that last step and dive into it's pages! :D

Ummm, damn you all to hell! I am interested too, now :mad: I'm guessing this book is expensive??? How much is it? Anybody know if there are plans to bring it out in paperback? :)

PS, Abu, where you going for your hols? :)

It's £17.99 in hardback - not that expensive. Typical, really. Comes in cream or black cover with white or black pages respectively and is wrapped in plastic. Also has one of those ribbon bookmarks nudging against its spine.

I'm off to Prague for a long weekend of cheap booze and culture. It just happens to be my luck that the most expensive ticket for Sparta Prague's games is £3 and that weekend is reserved for internationals and the Czech Republic are playing away to Armenia. :mad:
To catch a game I'm probably going to have to drop a division in order to watch Viktoria Zizkov play - buggers that they are!

OK, thanks! That's a bit too pricey for me. I'll wait until ( IF ) it comes out in paperback format!

Ah, and enjoy your weekend of culture and booze! :D

Bought this on the way home. Had friends at home so didn't have time to read more than the 1st page, but found it very intriguing. A great voice, pulls you in right off.

SillyWabbit said:
Ah, and enjoy your weekend of culture and booze! :D

The only culture I'll see is the stuff growing in my socks after a weekend spent lying in a foreign alleyway.

Just brought this book at the weekend, and it's an extremely handsome cover :) . I got the black version, with black pages and white ribbon bookmark. I have to say it's a long time that I've been this excited about starting a new book.

I'm down to the last 150 pages now. My once cream version is slowly turning into a black one as I've carted it back and forth to work daily.

At the time I purchesd it, I bought 3 copies. One for general use, and additional cream and black copies that I've kept wrapped. I was told at the time that the black version was a UK one but I was obviously misinformed, as mine does not have black end papers or ribbon bookmark. :(

RaVeN

I get my books wholesale, so I picked the ISBN off Amazon for what should have been the white one, and the black one arrived this week - not that I'm complaining, it looks very sleek (especially like the black inking of the edges of the pages).

I can't wait to start it as soon as I get done with Jules Verne and all his bloody fish.

About one hundred pages in right now, and loving it. The language is both exquisite and atmospheric; the faerie people are otherworldly and dark. Really impressed so far - hope it keeps going thus for the next 700 pages!

Just finished! What a page-turner towards the end! I absolutely loved this book and would recommend to all - right now, there are a number of cheaper copies for sale on ebay, so I'd prompt you to get one. Then set aside a few days where you don't have anything much to do - because you will end up reading this to the exclusion of other things (like eating, sleeping.................)

I am starting this slowly as I've been very busy, but am loving it so far. Her attention to detail for the era (no idea if she's made any errors, and if she has its "fantasy" so who cares) and the Jane Austen quality of the voice is wonderful.

Saw this book at Gatwick airport on my way to Barcelona. They had an "exclusive airport paperback edition" in both the white and the black for £12.00. OMG! I was SO tempted. Read a little of it. I have to say, the little that I read of it, that the book did not really grab me. But then, I only read a couple of it's pages :) Anyway, do want to get it and hopefully the cheaper "airport only" paper back edition will be out here and I will read it :)

Back