• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sweeney Todd

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Anyone else see this movie?

I went yesterday and was happy to find out that it was much better than I thought it would be. Even though Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp were outside of their element, I felt that they did a great job.

I can't wait to see this movie I have to wait for it on Blu Ray because I am ill and can't go to the movies... but I love both these actors they are very good...
She's hot he's is hot in the movie biz right now... and they are great together...

I saw a production some years ago at the National Theatre in London, with Alun Armstrong, Julia McKenzie and Denis Quilley in the leading roles. A superb piece and a superb production, it has been referred to more than once as 'a chamber opera'.

Usually, I'd be terrified of what would be done with a Stephen Sondheim piece, but I'm really looking forward to this. Although Tim Burton is a big figure who produces big films, there's something about his work that is outside of Hollywood. Given that and his capacity to conjure a sense of the macabre, I think this could be an excellent match. And Johnny Depp is also a far more interesting and talented screen actor than many.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It opens in the UK on 25 January.

Anyone else see this movie?

I went yesterday and was happy to find out that it was much better than I thought it would be. Even though Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp were outside of their element, I felt that they did a great job.

Yeah, cinema is definitely not Johnny Depp's element. His element is the wayward admirations of misguided housewives and psuedo-bohemian co-eds.

I LOVED this musical, and thought Johnny Depp did a fantastic job in it!

I very much enjoyed his singing as well as Helena's, and loved the depressing and disturbing plot.

I've seen the original play as well (have the 1982 dvd), but honestly enjoyed the movie much better (I love the movie's darker tone as opposed to the play's more humerous approach).

Johnny and Helena did awesome... It was a great movie but I will not buy this one...

It was well worth the viewing but it is a movie for me seeing it once was great...

I thought "musical" and Johnny Depp wasn't going to be interesting.

I was pleasantly surprised, and watched it a second time this weekend.

I thought Depp and Carter did well with the singing. Their performances were one of the film's greatest aspects, although I can't say the same for the actors playing Anthony and Joanna. Their scenes bored me and left me wanting more moments between Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett.

I must be in the minority because I saw this film on DVD the other week and thought Depp and Carter were not good. They have good singing voices, but they're not upper tier. As a result, their singing could not really carry the movie. In fact, whenever they sang, the movie bogged down and I was bored. However, I liked the premise and the initial set-up.

I saw the movie a couple of days ago and promptly had nightmares about people having their throats cut....

It was very Tim Burton, I'll give it that. Creative, interesting, different, but I don't think I'm going to watch it again.

Back