• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sweet Valley High

I don't know if they still read them. I read them when I was a teen and I still have them all. I was hoping my girls would get into them, but no luck... yet.

My older daughters read a few of them; those girls are now all in their 20s. The younger two daughters are 13 and 15 and don't bother with Sweet Valley High books at all. I'm not sure, but my local library might have culled them from their shelves by now. It is a small library with limited shelf space, so they have to be very careful what they keep.

I'm in my 30s :) I went through Sweet Valley Twins, then Sweet Valley High, and a few of the Sweet Valley University books. I have a tote with them, Babysitter's Club, Christopher Pike, and VC Andrews books. My oldest is 13 and can't stand reading (the only books she has picked up on her own in the past year was Twilight and The Hunger Games). My 9 year old loves to read, but I'm not sure she's ready for Sweet Valley yet. Don't even know if she'd be interested.

I'm sure with the explosion of YA books in the past 20 years, Sweet Valley is almost too innocent to keep in the running.

Okay, promise to keep a secret? My secondary (high) school library ordered Sweet Valley High books quite possibly by mistake given that it was an English all-boys school that really wouldn't have normally stocked that sort of thing (hence why I noticed them on the side one day) and I happened to read one or two during study periods when I should have been revising for my Eng Lit A-Levels (heck, they were mildly amusing and more interesting to me than The Duchess of Malfi).. and then one time I made the mistake of checking a book out of the library to finish on the bus home and my English Lit. teacher (who doubled as jr. library librarian) chased me down for said book several weeks later much to her mild amusement and my great shock... oh dear, I think it would've been less embarrassing if I had been caught smoking crack in the toilets...

I think what's more embarrassing is that I could have just put the book in my bag, and returned it the next/a few days later without anyone having been any the wiser, when it had been read, as opposed to filling out a library card for it and logging this event in history... I was something of a stickler for the rules back then though... <d'OH>

Ha, I'd have probably done the same thing. I'd have felt like I was stealing the book, even if I put it back unharmed, I would know.

Grew up with this SVH

:) Who didn't grow up with SWEET VALLEY HIGH? I grew up with them, books and TV show. Don't see the books around though anymore, same goes for BABYSITTERS CLUB. Does anybody remember them? Did you grow up with them?:)

Haha oh god this thread brings back memories. I used to read Sweet Valley High and the Babysitters Club when I was a teen (they had TV shows of both too if I remember rightly). I definitely think they are too innocent now though, especially if you take a look at recent young adult novels.

Back