• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

T.V.-a love/hate relationship?

SFG75

I love certain shows-I enjoy Big Brother 6 and I do watch some programs on PBS and I do enjoy the evening news. At the same time, I get so tired at times of the kids wanting to watch t.v. ALL THE TIME. I know I watched my fair share of t.v. as a kid and still read the news magazines and what not, but I just get annoyed at this!. I've seriously contemplated unhooking the t.v. and carrying it down to the basement. I'm not against all forms of escapism, but this one just really gets to me from time to time. I have some friends who have their home a t.v. free environment. I also have a relative who has four television sets in the house. :eek: Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!. :D

Do you choose not to have a t.v.? Why or why not?

Would you take out the t.v. from your home?

Anyone else similarly disgruntled with t.v. or do I just need to get out more? :rolleyes:

We don't have a TV. I think that if we had children, we might have one for the relatively educational shows and videos. I also know several other people about our age (early 20s) who just haven't gotten around to getting a TV, and don't miss it. Reading, socializing, Internet surfing, and adjusting to adult life after college seem to fill their time. So take heart; you aren't necessarily raising TV junkies.

(I won't tell you about the woman I know who has a TV turned on in every room because, well, because she just has to.)

The tellys on a lot in my house and it does my head in big time,but i will swich off and read and leave the girls to watch but not for hours at a time!

I just got rid of my TV today. It's probably going to take a while to get used to not having anything to look at when I've got nothing to do, but I guess I'll read more instead.
I really got a grudge against TV in the summer when one of the few decent channels started to send stuff like "Fabulous life of ....", "101 embarrassing Hollywood moments" every night all night. That left me looking at the discovery channel most of the time.
It seems "reality" shows are becomming a bigger part of TV and since I really hate those there isn't much point in paying for it or wasting the insane amount of time it usually takes.

Mari said:
We don't have a TV. I think that if we had children, we might have one for the relatively educational shows and videos. I also know several other people about our age (early 20s) who just haven't gotten around to getting a TV, and don't miss it. Reading, socializing, Internet surfing, and adjusting to adult life after college seem to fill their time. So take heart; you aren't necessarily raising TV junkies.

(I won't tell you about the woman I know who has a TV turned on in every room because, well, because she just has to.)
That's how we feel exactly too. I haven't had a TV since I moved from home, and I don't miss it. One day when I can afford to, I'll probably get one.

I don't have a TV and have not had one for a very long time now. I don't miss it at all. In fact, give it a try! You will notice how false and passive television actually is if you stop watching it for awhile. When I go to some place where they have a TV it's so weird for me to be "SOLD" at constantly and to be "talked to" and to be sitting there waiting for something to come on that i might be vaguely interested in.

if you think about it, any form of entertainment will inevitably be contested by a portion of the population. in general, I don't take issue with television. it's a metaphoric condensation of a lot of different forms of entertainment, which is part of the reason why it's so fucking cewl. anyway, I don't think I could live without south park.

SFG75 said:
I enjoy Big Brother 6
:eek:
That right there might be reason to get rid of the TV. You don't want to set a bad example for those little guys. Before you know it they'll be watching Real World vs Road Rules Battle of the Drunkards XXXIV! ;)

bobbyburns said:
if you think about it, any form of entertainment will inevitably be contested by a portion of the population. in general, I don't take issue with television. it's a metaphoric condensation of a lot of different forms of entertainment, which is part of the reason why it's so fucking cewl. anyway, I don't think I could live without south park.

^ That's a smart guy, right there.

Television is no great, brain-dumbing evil. It's the programmes you choose to watch that determines the content and experience of the medium. I don't watch much TV, but when I do I steer clear of Big Brother-style crap. If I want to be involved with a bunch of idiots doing stupid things, I'll just go and hang-out with my friends. It's reeeeeeeeeal, maaaaan.

I could never get rid of my TV because it has become an important part of my life. TV links me to the world through CNN, BBC News, and TGI RAI, excites my mind with shows on the History or Discovery channels, makes me laugh and cry with films on HBO, and gives me a dose of reality with the Sundance Channel and IFC.

I'm 34 years old and know when to shut off the tv. I think on average I watch 2-4 hours a day (not continuously), and some days none at all.

Just as in other things in life, moderation is the key. Too much of anything is not good. I like to watch certain programs on tv, and my kids like to watch tv, but I place certain limits on it, always have, and so, my kids are just as likely to be playing ouside, or inside. My hubby has a thing about being the one to decide what to watch when we watch tv together, usually after the kids go to bed. And since his work schedule has changed so that he is home in the evenings, I have unwillingly surrendered the right to watch what I want at night, so I read instead (and tape my favorite shows on the other television and watch them during the day). Some days, the tv is not on at all, some days it is on a lot, but I rarely sit and watch more than a few minutes at a time. I could easily live without a tv, and the internet as well. Sure I would miss it for a while, but I would get used to it quickly, and my life would be filled with other things.

I agree with cajunmama and her comment about moderation.

I can always get my news fix on the web, but I must have TV because TV brings me hockey, and it's nice to catch a movie now and then. Right now though, our entertainment center is used more for the music channels we get through Directv then anything else.

I only really get in 2 channels (Fox & PBS) so I don't watch much TV but I could never go with out my television I like to watch movies too much and saturday morning cartooons. It's on less in the summer but in the winter I watch alot of tv.

Ronny said:
I only really get in 2 channels (Fox & PBS) so I don't watch much TV but I could never go with out my television I like to watch movies too much and saturday morning cartooons. It's on less in the summer but in the winter I watch alot of tv.

I remember those pre-Directv days. It's much better now. :p

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
That doesn't work if you apply it to having sex, eating kiwi fruit and somking crack though...

i don't know...too much kiwi will give you cankers and i've never somking anything.....

Back