• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Take me out for "special" local food

Kookamoor said:
Other things I miss include: chinese dim sims and meat pies readily available (pie warmers - ooooh!) and cheddar cheese - it tastes kinda rubbery here, I find.
Okay, this seems to imply that you're probably in Canada more than you're in Oz. But it's dim sum, not dim sim, and I find it hard to believe you can't get it in Canada.

If you really can't find it in Canada, then go holiday in Hongkong, or Malaysia where I can take you. :) However, I've been told by relatives in Oz that dim sum in Malaysia is nowhere near those offered in Chinese restaurants in Oz.

ds

Nebraska original

I moved from Nebraska a couple of years ago. A chain of fast-food restaurants there has been built around a sandwich that's based upon an old German-Russian family recipe. The Runza is a filling of ground beef, onions, cabbage, and seasonings that's enclosed in bread dough, and then baked. The finished sandwich looks like a small loaf of bread. The home-baked kind are also called bierocks. If you don't mind visiting the Runza Restaurant commercial website, you can see what a Runza looks like here .

It seems that a lot of cultures have a sandwich based upon ground meat and seasonings baked inside of dough. They serve something called pasties (pronounced PASS-tees) in northern Michigan (more like a small meat pie, I think). And I think I encountered an item along the same lines in Jamaica.

mamabookworm61, have you ever been to the Philadelphia area? That Runza looks a lot like a philly "cheezesteak" without the cheeze. My guess is it's probably very similer in taste.

Would you eat this in slices with a fork or pick the whole thing up in your hands and eat it like a hotdog/submarine sandwich? Is there a juice to dip it in like a hot roast beef sandwich might have? Or ketchup?

It's interesting that they bake the bread around the filling. I'd bet that would go over well around these parts.

Have you ever made one at home? I have a bread machine and I may have to try this. Would be a fun experiment on a rainy weekend with the kids.

direstraits said:
Okay, this seems to imply that you're probably in Canada more than you're in Oz. But it's dim sum, not dim sim, and I find it hard to believe you can't get it in Canada.

If you really can't find it in Canada, then go holiday in Hongkong, or Malaysia where I can take you. :) However, I've been told by relatives in Oz that dim sum in Malaysia is nowhere near those offered in Chinese restaurants in Oz. ds
I don't know how I missed this! Kookamoor, if you want dim sum, come to Vancouver. The dim sum here is as good as in Hong Kong according to people from HK. And it's no wonder because most of the chefs here are direct from HK - often lured here and then fought over (with $$$) between the better Chinese restaurants when they arrive.

ell

food confession

The other day I made pancakes out of sauerkraut, onions, flour, salt, baking powder, and some milk. They were awesome. Crispy, crunchy, a little tart. I never had them before. My kid and I had an illicit pancake-invention party.

Does that count as regional?? :eek:

One of my neighbors just knocked on my door. He caught a bushel of Maryland Blue Crabs and wanted to know if my family would like some for dinner tonight.

You bet your sweet bippy.....

All steamed up and covered in Old Bay seasoning..it's almost a religious experience to sit outside on a summer evening with a plate full of steamed crabs and a bunch of cold beer....

Some of me neighbors are really f'n great....

I guess the `local' food i'd suggest you eat would be my Mum's Cheese and Onion Pie. The best in the world. Only problem is it's not exactly local anymore as I live about 400 miles from her.

Motokid. I lived in Wilmington DE for 6 months. Worked there as a youthworker. I got to see quite a bit of the NorthEast. Philly, New Jersey, NYC, DC etc.

What is the name of the place you get Cheesesteaks from? I had one and it was pretty good. About 20 people stood around outside the stand with greasy fingers and licking their lips. We went to a fantastic IceCream place afterwards.

Did you get the cheese-steak in Philadelphia? might have been "Pats" if it was a "famous" place in Philly.

There are 1000's of places to get them from.

They are fabulous. I like mine with fried onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and catsup.

Well, around here (Northern VA), Moto, one of the most famous "local" food places is Carl's Ice Cream.

It is awesome!

I think, though, we would start with a "family" recipe for breakfast, found, so far, only in the Eckert household... pancakes with hotdogs cut up and cooked inside them. My dad introduced my brother and me to them. We both love them, and now my daughter and his son ask for them almost every Saturday morning! My wife (not a true Eckert) won't touch them!

I lived in SC for 10 years, and there is a place on Folly Beach that has the best East Coast oysters you ever slurped your lips on. You don't need tobasco, or coctail sauce, or lemon juice (unless you don't like oysters), these babies taste like the pluff mudd they came from! absolutely a must if you visit Charleston - Bowen's Island restaruant has an "Oyster Room". it was like $9.50 when I was there, and it's all you can eat. Sawhorses and plywood covered with newspaper. You grab a shucker, pull up a seat, and they just keep dumpin' steamed oysters on the table until you give up or pass out. AWESOME!

Also, in Charleston, you have to have the Shrimp -n- Grits on Shem Creek!

Ate Phat Ducks do Northern NSW

Or 8 fat ducks…
I have discovered a great book for the food lover and the traveller.
This book has more to it than just recipes, it has a great human interest side to it also - as it's based on the travels of 8 woman that meet reguarly, critique restaurants, and write reviews in newspaper - the book developed from that. There is a mapped food trail through the region also....and the recipes are genuine restaurant quality [chef written] recipes.... not to mention the quality of the photography! - which is actually a selling point in itself...
Check it out at atephatducks.com
I would love to hear what other people think.
Cheers!!

Back