• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Take me out for "special" local food

yup that's it right there. all you need is a cart and a deep fat fryer and we'll be seeing you hosting the apprentice by next year.

my god think of the fry possibilities. really if it can be covered with batter, it can be fried.

and the condiments: icing sugar, sugar and cinnamon, hershey's syrup, whip cream in can, variety of jams, honey, glaze, fat free yougurt. and for more savory fried objects you have mayo, kdetchup, salsa, hot pepper jelly, all the mustards, applesauce. the list goes on.

in my family we have toyed with the idea of hot chicken on stick. the big problem with hot sandwiches is they are just not portable. so we felt a bread crust filled with molten gravy, chicken bits of veg and potato all skewered on a conveniat stick. big seller i know it.

i came back to edit this, but the spelling mistakes were just too funny.

Typical things from a chip shop:

chicken leg, pizza, sausage, smoked sausage, haggis, black pudding, potato fritter, banana fritter, hamburger

All in batter. :p

jenngorham said:
in my family we have toyed with the idea of hot chicken on stick. the big problem with hot sandwiches is they are just not portable. so we felt a bread crust filled with molten gravy, chicken bits of veg and potato all skewered on a conveniat stick. big seller i know it.
Jenn, chicken on a stick is a big seller at parades and festivals here. It's usually just fried chicken though, no veggies.

I've got to stop coming to this thread. You guys are talking about frying everything, and I'm just getting hungrier.

About the fried candy bars, I've seen fried Snickers bars. Mmmm. Snickers. Mmmm. Duff beer.

I have a deep fryer. I deep fry chicken, whole turkeys for Thanksgiving, onion rings, french fries…

Would I just make a simple flour and water batter, cover the chocolate candy bar of choice in this batter and drop into fryer? How long? Until crust turns golden brown? Any thing in the batter besides flour?
What about beer battered Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Mars, Heath Bars, Peppermint Patties….

I usually fry in canola oil. Is there a problem with that, or should I use something more fattening?

Help me out here people….I’ve got prototypes to make…

i think you want a fairly thick batter, i sometimes use pancake mix with a little extra baking powder for puff. and don't leave till golden brown, maybe crispy texture would be better, and i think the thickness of the bar would be important. and hot my god hot so be careful!!

mmmm3 musketeers!!!! yum
what is a heath bar?

gotta love the internet:

Fried Candy Bars
The miniature candy bars work very well for this recipe.

1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Candy bars (Mars, Snickers, Almond Joy, Kit Kat or Twix)

Chill or freeze the candy bars

Combine egg, milk and vegetable oil in a cup.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk. Cover and chill for a few minutes while the oil heats.

Remove batter from the refrigerator and adjust the consistency if necessary. Heat about 4 cups of oil or shortening to 375 degrees F. Dip the chilled candy bar in the batter and gently place into the oil. Cook only until the outside is golden. Remove and drain on brown paper. Allow to cool for a minute as the inside can easily burn your mouth.

jenn: Heath Bar is a milk chocolate covered toffee kinda thing. One of my favorites, but getting more difficult to find. I think it's from Mars also.

Should work. Just make a basic batter. I wouldnt freeze the bars though and I would use full size bars. If you use the small ones it wont work so well.

doens't bother me. i mean what are the chances that it will be a common occurance. plus i love wendy's.
once i was eating pasta at east side mario's and found the pinky of a latex glove. had it been another latex product i would be a very rich woman!!!!

There's a type of sandwich in my area sometimes refered to as a "hoagie". The long name is "submarine sandwich" but we all just call them "subs". A long roll split down the middle with various meats and cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, peppers, onions, oregino (spelling?) and oil. Please don't jump in and tell me that you have a Subway's franchise store somewhere near you, and that you know what a sub is. That's just rediculous.

We have a place called Capriotti's that makes homemade turkey subs that are to die for. The real, unprocessed turkey is shredded, add provelone cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayonaise this thing is wicked good. Have sweat or hot pickles on yours if you like.

Outside of about a 50 mile radius of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania you won't find a true, real sub. Subway is to subs what McDonalds is to steak.

I didn't read all the posts here, but in case anyone didn't mention this, around here Skyline Chili is the big thing. Google it or go to: http://www.skylinechili.com/

Gee, I'm salivating just thinking about it! It's one of those things you either love or hate.

yes where did she get that finger? it's too bad that happened though. the wendy's pr dept. will have a heck of a time spinning this story. it will become part of some urban legend.

Wendy's appears to be in the clear on the finger issue...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/26/Wendys.finger.ap/index.html

and jenn: "You Buy It : We Fry It" may be on the back burner (get it) for now. I have yet to prototype, but outdoor frying weather is becoming more and more available, so who know's.....

(I only fry outside, it cuts down on the mess and the smell inside the house tremendously, plus a propane fired burner and kettle of canola oil is quite the fire hazard to have inside)

Back