• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Take me out for "special" local food

direstraits said:
We've something here called nasi lemak, which basically rice cooked with coconut milk (making the rice really tasty), there's curry anchovies (this is cooked separately with onions as well), cucumber, peanuts (not the huge variety, just groundnuts), optionally with fried chicken drumstick, fried fish, whatever. All in one dish. And there's this guy very near where I live who makes the best nasi lemak in the world.
That sounds awesome. I love spicy dishes, especially Asian and Indian dishes.

One time, I was at an Indian restaurant, and the Indian waiter refused to give me a spicy dish. He said, "For you, hot is too hot." I think he made that judgment on my skin color because he served it right up for my Pakistani friend. He mixed up the order though and gave the hot dish to me anyway. My friend and I always get a kick out of that story.

Motokid said:
jenn: I don’t know if I’m a “foodie”, but we all have to eat. Every one of us eats, and some regions are defined by their foods.

But, some people live to eat and some people eat to live. I, live to eat. I truly enjoy eating. My brother-in-law, eats to live, he eats because he has to have nutrition.

I must warn you all, do not eat Cajun food outside of Louisiana. With very few exceptions, it is all garbage. Cajun food is not so spicy you can't eat it. Blackened Redfish, a "famous Cajun dish", is a waste of fish and pepper. It is not Cajun, it is a mistake some crappy sous chef made one day in a Cajun restaraunt in New Orleans.

Motokid said:
If none of the “Philly” crowd speaks up soon I’ll enlighten you on a few more Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA specialties.

Cheese steaks (with) from Pat's or Geno's
Soft Pretzels
Scrapple

Motokid said:
Is there some food really unique to the area you live in that you would like to have a visitor from this forum experience?

Deep fried Mars bar in batter. ;)

MMM, Tex-Mex. Enchiladas with lots of cheese, mexican rice, refried beans, tamales, tortilla chips with queso.

Or the slightly different variety, taquerias. Tacos and tortas (a sandwich with sour cream and avocado), expecially the pastor ones, porky goodness with onions and cilantro.

There's not much good to eat here, but I'd take you to Southeastern Massachusetts where I grew up.

I'd probably have to kidnap you for the entire day and race around eating. It's what I do when I visit my mom.

For breakfast we'd hit a great portugese bakery and you could choose from a bismark (a hotdog bun shaped donut cut open with cream and strawberry jelly along it and confectioners sugar on top) or a malasada (eggy fried dough covered in sugar).

We'd pick up a couple choirico rolls (tough bread with a spicy portugese sausage ground up and made into a filling) to have for a snack before lunch.

For lunch we'd have coney island hot dogs. I'm not sure they are anything like the ones served at coney island, but they are hot dogs topped with a spicy hamburger sauce (no tomato or beans involved) and celery salt. We'd wash them down with some Del's lemonade (fresh made frozen lemonade with bits of lemon in it).

Dinner would be your choice. I'd suggest fried clams at this great spot where you can eat at picnic tables outside and watch the water. If you don't dig shellfish we could go for Chinese (americanized) food because the stuff in Fall River MA is the best I've ever had.

If you wanted a late night snack I'd make you my famous chocolate cake and a cup of coffee milk.

Del's lemonade! I'd forgotten abnout that!!!

Here, I'd take you down to the punts and order fresh fish and have it cooked to order just the way you want!

There's a fish and chip joint here where they serve it to you in newspaper ust like they used to. If I liekd deep fried foods, I'd eat there. We're known here for fresh seafood, cherries the size of plums and Huon Valley Mushrooms! YUMMY!

I must say that I miss American food. Mexican food. Ah well.

Stewart said:
Deep fried Mars bar in batter. ;)

i've had this and a deep fried bounty bar with margaritas. the hot molten chocolaty coconut with the tart salty lime. deeeeeeeeeeeelicccccccccciousssssssssss!!!!!!

I thought you were kidding about the deep fried Mars bar. Boy....talk about an artery clogger....where can I get one of these in America?

I smell a business opportunity.

Motokid said:
I thought you were kidding about the deep fried Mars bar. Boy....talk about an artery clogger....where can I get one of these in America?

I smell a business opportunity.

when we made them, we used a batter similar to what you put on fish.

what would the name of this venture be?

I thought people thought me kidding when I first mentioned it. That's why I provided a link the second time. ;)

I've never actually had one myself. I don't want to end up the size of a house due to my diet. Over here chip shops seem quite happy to dump anything in batter. I've seen pizza slices put in batter and then dropped into the deep fat fryer - that, on this occasion, is nice.

"what would the name of this venture be?"

I don't know jenn, how 'bout "The Great American Artery Clogger"
or would McD's sue me for infringment on their trademark???? :D

The concept is just too new for me yet. I have to ponder this a while.

Stewart: You have to be kidding me. Deep Fried pizza???? If America has an obesity epidemic what the hell is going on in England?

Motokid said:
If America has an obesity epidemic what the hell is going on in England?

I have no idea. I'm in Scotland. ;)

Scotland's health is probably the worst in Europe. #1 for smoking and heart diseases, #1 for obesity, #1 for poorest diet. etc, etc.

Our parliament would rather spend £400m of our money building a place to sit in and quibble over than invest it in healthcare and education. The devolved Scottish government wastes our money quibbling over the exact hue of the blue in the quasi-national flag. It's full of jerks who think that Scotland can exist without being part of the UK (and they think it should) and that the general populace would rather have them discussing all this pseudo-national shit.

I'm British although I can say I'm Scottish too, if I wanted to. I would rather my money was not spent on these people who worry about our fat nation's global images with respect to flag colour, tartan, and whisky. It's a shambles.

Motokid said:
"what would the name of this venture be?"

I don't know jenn, how 'bout "The Great American Artery Clogger"
or would McD's sue me for infringment on their trademark???? :D

The concept is just too new for me yet. I have to ponder this a while.

maybe mars by moto, or moto's molten mars?

I read that the average life span for American's is actually going to start dropping soon for the first time in something like 100 years simply because of the obesity problem that is growing at epidemic rates. As fat kids get older they will die sooner becuase of fat related issues like diabetes (spelling) and heart failure. The numbers of fat kids are growing fast enough to actually influence the overall average life expectancy of all Americans in the coming years if something drastic does not happen.

Are you worse than that where you live?

Back