• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Talking books.....

If you have to commute two hours a day driving on the road, talking books are exellent choices.

Trust me, I learned many languages this way.

You just sing along. :D

Astralknight, would you mind me asking where you originally came from - you have such a lovely accent ;)

I have never tried them; I can't really see myself sitting down and just listening to something without doing something else to keep me busy. Audio books would set the pace for you, instead of you setting the pace (as when you read a book on paper), and it would be a bit hard to flick back and skim over some bits, etc.

I agree with Astralknight; I'm sure audio books serve a good purpose if you have to go on a long drive, but that seldom is the case with me.

I did try one once, unintentionally. I'd ordered a book on-line from my local library, and without realising I'd ordered the audio version. Rather than wait another few weeks for the book to come in, I decided to give it a try.

For me, it just didn't give me that 'curl up with a good book factor' ! When I'm reading a book, it's like there's just me and the book in the whole universe, but somehow, with the audio version, some of the atmosphere just seemed to disappear into the ether! It was almost as if I was sharing the book with other people (although I was alone at the time!).

I didn't mind the talking books, it was when the spoons starting striking up conversations with me that I started to worry!

Wabbit said:
I didn't mind the talking books, it was when the spoons starting striking up conversations with me that I started to worry!

You know what's scary? I can totally relate to this post:eek:

Actually, I'm deaf in one ear, and my house is usually pretty noisy, so audios are not the best option for me. I've heard some great ones that I really enjoyed, but I have to concentrate harder than if I were looking at a printed book.

I have never actually used audio books. It's not a good idea for me, I'm sure, because I live in La La Land as you can see. And being a particularly patriotic La La Landian, my mind wanders frequently. It is not allowed to wander if it is focused upon the pages of a book...but I know I have a tendency not to listen to things because I'm distracted by my thoughts.
BTW, abecedarian, I'm deaf in one ear, too! ^^ I have been my whole life, or so we think, since I was diagnosed with otosclerosis when I was four. (I'm supposedly the fifth-youngest in the US to be diagnosed with it, or I was when I was four anyway.)

I've found some I really like and some I just couldn't listen to at all, it really depends on the voice of the reader and I find I don't like a lot of dramatization.

Back