• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

TBF: Moderation Issues

Miss Shelf said:
I think what got Stewart suspended was a violation of unwritten rules.
Then there is no rule.

It was an over-zealous mod, who has since apologised. Doesnt make it right, but it's over.

As someone who has just recently joined the forum, I must say that this thread is a bit puzzling. I don't find the forum to be dull at all and so that makes me wonder what used to go on here and the sort of things that people get suspended for. I guess what I want to know is what the fuss is all about! :D

Also, going way back, banned for using a sweary word once and for being incoherent to about 98% of the members. bobbyburns, later banned, used swear words all the time but the word around the rumourmill was that RaVeN asked Darren not to ban bobby; because RaVeN had donated money to this site, Darren accepted the request.

So far as I can understand it, pink shadow, some kids just got a little bit carried away and a few more got mean-spirited, and then things got out of hand and some folks got banned and now the rest of us are being looked at with a sceptical, jaundiced, or baleful eye. You know how it goes:

It's always fun until somebody gets their eye poked out. ;)

I'd be really, really sad if I got banned, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. I have 'spoken' to a couple of previous (brilliant) posters who no longer feel comfortable posting here, and who have gone elsewhere. That's to all our loss. And that includes Wabbit.

Thank you for letting us continue this discussion, Wabbit. I realize you could close it at any time you wish.

Ice said:
With regards to the suspension, Stewart had done nothing wrong. Halo posted to this effect in the thread below:

New form of discipline??

Interesting. That's the reason I started the trip down memory lane. The locking of that exact thread.

@ StillILearn: Not sure if Wabbit's letting us carry on or just not here.

What I'd really like to see is an appearance by Darren.

Motokid said:
What I'd really like to see is an appearance by Darren.

Santa, yes. Easter Bunny, yes. Lord Lucan, yes. Atlantis, yes. Shergar, yes. Elvis, yes. Darren Lewis, no.

Stewart said:
That's just it; we're not kids. We are all adults.

Actually, I thought for a second before using the word 'kids', and some of us here are not officially adults. The rest of us just act like it sometimes. :D

StillILearn said:
Actually, I thought for a second before using the word 'kids', and some of us here are not officially adults.

But there is an age restriction on joining the forum, that filters out the young and impressionable. And if they lie then they can have no argument when they develop a zombie-fied persona.

Stewart said:
Santa, yes. Easter Bunny, yes. Lord Lucan, yes. Atlantis, yes. Shergar, yes. Elvis, yes. Darren Lewis, no.

Only Darren can answer the questions and concerns that have been brought up here. No mod can do that. This concerns the very foundation that is TBF.

Is this the kind of place Darren wants and seeks, or have things spiraled out of his control? Or without his knowledge?

What exactly would the Admin. at TBF like this place to be?

Are the mods acting alone, or with his full blessing and complete trust?

Well, Ice is here, and we're still discussing away, so if anybody has anything constructive to say, now's the time to say it.

I personally do not like to live in fear of being banned. And, I'm sorry that others feel that way. I belong to a no-holds-barred forum that has had no moderator for years now, and we manage to manage ourselves. I've joked that insofar as politics are concerned, we've driven all the dissenters away, but nobody has ever been banned. Not one blessed banning has ever taken place there. No being put in stocks, either. We depend upon intelligent discourse and reason to prevail in the end. :rolleyes:

(We did almost have WWIII once, but we got over it.)

StillILearn said:
Well, Ice is here
Not for long - I have just finished work and so am going home shortly.

Motokid said:
Are the mods acting alone, or with his full blessing and complete trust?
The decisions are made by the Moderators - Darren trusts us to run this place in his absence.

Sorry I can't answer any of the other questions :(

Ice said:
The decisions are made by the Moderators - Darren trusts us to run this place in his absence.

But as time changes, so do people.

If Darren is absent for long periods of time, then many decisions can be made that he is completely unaware of, and therefore he might not agree with all those decisions.

The unhappiness of the overall moderation of TBF has been an ongoing issue for at least the last year. Yet I have seen no effort from Darren to really explain or improve anything. He's just not here.

Motokid said:
But as time changes, so do people.

If Darren is absent for long periods of time, then many decisions can be made that he is completely unaware of, and therefore he might not agree with all those decisions.

The unhappiness of the overall moderation of TBF has been an ongoing issue for at least the last year. Yet I have seen no effort from Darren to really explain or improve anything. He's just not here.

I have no idea of how 'moderation' works, but can we agree that we all have the best interests of TBF at heart? Who are the mods anyhow? I know of Halo, Wabbit, and Ice. Anybody else? And just who is this Darren fellow? Why would someone want to own a book forum and not visit it? Forgive my ignorance; I admit that I have not read all the fine print, but maybe I am not the only one here who hasn't?

Back