• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

manuscriptx

I posted a message some time ago looking for anyone in the publishing industry be they agents or publishers themselves to contact me. This particular message goes out to everyone and anyone to evaluate a sample of my work. I garner the same point of view about writing no different than I did short-film. In both instances most of the conceptualizing took place within my own thoughts. Building a ' scene ' using captured image and writing words to a paragraph, in my opinion at least, are completely sequential.

Below is a sample of my cover page to the industry, if you are interested in reading the full text e-mail me for a copy at manuscriptx@yahoo.com or xttwo@hotmail.com. Thanks.

I was born on September 24, 1973. I was born on March 10, 1993.
I was also born one week in November 2002, and died the month of September,’88. Yes. These are an inconsistent set of circumstances.
To understand me is to understand a life that is by definition, non-sequitur.

This autobiographic novel is not a typical recount of a life lived, A to Z.
It has only one beginning. No friend or personal relation. I am not close to family, including one surviving parent. Mine is a living tale recently denominated as Internal Conflict. A mind walk twenty years ago, has not ended since. Subsistence devoted to not money or power, passion, pride, prejudice, men or maidens. I sat a hapless imp against intent. Her eyes,
his feet, and their incessant squabbling pierced and tear my soul. It was there, in the nether region of abode dissident foes, I felt welcome.
Solitude and loneliness is a powerful ally. Socioeconomics became trivial pursuits, so I abandon them readily. Days are the problems unlike any other.

Manuscriptx, this belongs in the writer's showcase forum. As for commenting on your novel...you aren't bad by any means, but you aren't giving me a reason to keep reading it. I'm not saying you don't have an interesting life, but you need to tell me what makes you special, that I should read your autobiography. You aren't famous, so there must be something else special about you. Why do I want to read it? Pull me in in the first part of the book. Give me a hint as to why you are special.
Also, while large words are useful at times, you're using them too often. I understand them, but I don't think most people will. You need to take that into account while writing. Average Joe may like to read, but he doesn't understand why "socioeconomics became trivial pursuits" because it makes no sense to him. Is it good to look smart? Yes. But when you try to act too smart, your reader feels insulted and puts the book aside.

My brain hurts from all the big words...Help!

I also have an attention span of a rodent. Keep me interested not snoring on how much your life rocks, because, frankly, it doesn't.

Also, quit trying to get an agent on here because it makes your writing seem forced instead of natural and flowing and no agents really read these. They want to be paid. This won't do for them.

And how were you born three times? And aren't you dead? *darn* What does non-sequitur mean? I can't find it in any dictionary around here even without the non-.

I recently came back to this particular discussion forum and want to thank you for the positive opinion. I realize after having reread the message, what I didn't tell you ( the readers ) are a few key points. Number one, you are right, I am no one special, neither rich, famous or even known to anyone locally. Just a person with a point of view about life and my experience with it.

As to your second point. The three page pretext, a sample you just read, is for agents and publishers, my hope is after reading it they will want to read actual pages of manuscript text.

Asking for an evaluation is merely rooted in getting an opinion on my writing style, if others like you find just a small interest, then I know I have something to work with. I've always considered myself a good writer of story even when building something from scratch, the trick is what words, sentences and phrases do I feel comfortable with best. Writing about my life is somewhat cause for pause because this is what I will be remembered by long after I'm gone from this earth.

I will never allow anyone regardless of who they are or what they mean to me to describe what I am, who I am and how I have lived in this world. If I'm going to do it, I better do it right.

Remember the old saying, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Manuscriptx, I'm not clear whether the extract you posted is from your book or your cover letter. Either way, I'm sorry to say I think most agents/publishers would be rolling it in a ball and practising basketball hoops with it before the end of the first paragraph (all those births!).

I suspect English may not be your first language, from the mixed-up tenses and so on, and if so then you really need to work on it more to make it flow and read more naturally. I agree with Valkyrie, though I don't think it's just 'ordinary Joes' who would struggle to understand "socioeconomics became trivial pursuits" - or indeed any of the rest of it. If I'm honest it reads to me like the ravings of a mentally ill person, and I presume that's not your intent. It just doesn't mean anything to anyone except you, and it's no mark of pride to express something that only you understand. Your role as a writer is to convey thoughts, ideas, etc to the reader, not to block them out.

I hope this is constructively helpful...

manuscriptx said:
Number one, you are right, I am no one special, neither rich, famous or even known to anyone locally. Just a person with a point of view about life and my experience with it.
Yeah, then tell us about the experience and not your births and death and everything in-between that doesn't matter to that part of the story. Not being mean or anything, but this story, as I see it, does not give me any reason to keep reading, and makes me think that someone is off his rocker. *no offense, just reading the words* I would like to read more, but I'm afraid that I will not understand it.

By the way, from what I've read, no agent would even attempt to publish this. It sounds like ramblings or babblings of a schitzophrenic (spelling?) or an elderly person. No flow, no imaginative wording. It sounds like it came straight out of my history book at school, and like history, bores the life right out of me.

Sorry if I can't be more helpful, and if I sound unpleasant, but I call them like I see them. And this, I wish I didn't see.

Thanks again to the three of you for the responses, albeit negative. I would agree with the point made that writing in some ways has to be
' dummed down ' for all readers to absorb, however, I do like using big words to make each sentence of a paragraph as professional as possible since as I said again it's for agents and publishers.

I also understand as well far too many if not all may turn down my work which is why it will be written eventually regardless of wether or not it reaches a publishing level. Although on some level negative opinions like yours do bother me since this whole process by design is personal, I still keep things in perspective.

Recently, some authors and writers made news over their having stolen material and passing it off as their own original work, i.e. plagairism

I like the public relations dance literary agents and publishers do after it's found out whom they did take on as a client is a fake. It says a lot about literary agents and publishers reducing their selection process as a mere guessing game.

manuscriptx said:
Thanks again to the three of you for the responses, albeit negative. I would agree with the point made that writing in some ways has to be
' dummed down '
I totally agree!

for all readers to absorb, however, I do like using big words to make each sentence of a paragraph as professional as possible since as I said again it's for agents and publishers.
If you want it published, still go for smaller words. They think of the profit they'll make. If not wanted published, then use whatever you'd like.

I also understand as well far too many if not all may turn down my work which is why it will be written eventually regardless of wether or not it reaches a publishing level.
Glad you're determined. That's good.

Although on some level negative opinions like yours do bother me since this whole process by design is personal, I still keep things in perspective.
You're right it is personal, but I just want to see a work of art when I read, and I am only trying to help, although harsh.

Recently, some authors and writers made news over their having stolen material and passing it off as their own original work, i.e. plagairism
Dan Brown!! LOL

I like the public relations dance literary agents and publishers do after it's found out whom they did take on as a client is a fake. It says a lot about literary agents and publishers reducing their selection process as a mere guessing game.
Sadly true.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, but I just wanted to help! I always have been harsh on others' mistakes. (I'm a perfectionist) Sorry if I upset you.

manuscriptx said:
...I do like using big words to make each sentence of a paragraph as professional as possible since as I said again it's for agents and publishers.

To make things "appear" more professional, you may want to work on grammar a bit, as well as comma usage and spelling. See your sentences below, for example:

"I also understand as well far too many if not all may turn down my work which is why it will be written eventually regardless of wether or not it reaches a publishing level."

"Although on some level negative opinions like yours do bother me since this whole process by design is personal, I still keep things in perspective."

"I like the public relations dance literary agents and publishers do after it's found out whom they did take on as a client is a fake."

Publishers and/or agents, if reading these, would happily file your proposal in the little, round filing cabinet. These sentences read as improperly as the pitch on your original post. No agent, nor editor, nor publisher, would ever consider snatching potential writers from this forum.

Also, realize that all of these seemingly hurtful words, both mine and of the others here, are only words meant to help. Take this as constructive criticism, if anything at all.

sirmyk said:
No agent, nor editor, nor publisher, would ever consider snatching potential writers from this forum.

A truer word was never spoken. Some still labour under the delusion that publishers are actively seeking new authors. They aren't. They sit like Simon Cowell in bored semi-interest until a suitable candidate crosses their field of vision.

It is hard to imagine what 1-page pitch could be so tempting as to rouse a publisher or agent actually to pick up the phone. They are too busy fending off the hundreds and hundreds of other hopefuls who are beating down their doors.

Thank you, Shade. I totally agree. I have a pretty extensive vocabulary. See, me, I have no life. So I read. And read. And read and read and read until my eyes start to droop closed. There aren't a lot of words I read that I don't know. If I don't know the word, I can usually figure out what it means by the way it's used.

But I had trouble with manuscriptx's work. And if I can't figure it out, when I scored in the top 2% on the ACT in English (and I'm trying to make a point, not tooting my own horn), I doubt a whole lot of other people can. It sort of looks, I'm sorry to say, like the person who wrote it was used a thesaurus and pulled out the biggest, longest, and nastiest synonym for every word he could and plastered it in the paragraph.

Also, there were a few grammatical errors in this. If you say this was intended for an agent or publisher, you DO NOT want grammatical errors in your work. It will make you look unprofessional.

And "professional" doesn't necessarily mean that you have to look as smart as you possibly can. It's like waving a flag in someone's face that says, "I know more than you do." It may be very easy to come across as being intellectually arrogant, or in other words, snobby. I'm not trying to offend you; I'm just saying that you might want to change the way you're approaching things.

(And, GreenKnight, that is very well-put. I've actually heard that a lot of publishers won't accept just anyone, that you have to be specifically asked by them if they can publish your book.)

GreenKnight said:
They sit like Simon Cowell in bored semi-interest until a suitable candidate crosses their field of vision.
I picture them staying awake off bottomless cups of coffee.

sirmyk said:
I picture them staying awake off bottomless cups of coffee.
OMG!!! That's hilarious. I see them sitting in front of computers banging their heads and screaming because of all the horrid manuscripts that they have to put up with every day.

Vespertilio91 said:
OMG!!! That's hilarious. I see them sitting in front of computers banging their heads and screaming because of all the horrid manuscripts that they have to put up with every day.
I see a Simonesque fellow looking over one of my own unfinished manuscripts, sipping water from a red, blatantly-over-advertising Coca Cola glass, saying with his smug-British voice, "This is bluh'ee terrible... jus' dreadful. I'd rather mah'stubate to an unedited Chuck Palahniuk novel than suffa through this drivel."

Thanks, your repsonses are appreciated

I want to personally thank everone who's read my work and are expressing opinions in this particular thread. Albeit negative, it's appreciated. I have to admit, seeing harsh criticism over something all too personal like my own writing about life and experiences is hard to take, but if I want to get anywhere I have to.

Although I am not famous, I believe there is and shouldn't be any sort of prerequisite to simply write about life and experiences. Why should a person have to be famous or widely known to write an autobiography?

I can care less about a famous life, most of their tales are the same, sex, drugs, glamour, bright lights, and the pressure to be something to the public your not.

Last thing I want to say for now is I'm glad others here feel the same distain I have for agents and pubishers. I say their evaluation process is merely a guessing game because of the embarassment they feel when someone they do take on as a client turns out a plagiaristic bust.

Do they think back at all the previous applicants they turned down with any remorse? Probably not, just move on to the next person and hope their credibility over their expressed selection process hasn't been smashed to bits in the eyes of prospective writers.

I wrote a message saying as much to Random House over the Dan Brown fiasco over his book : The DaVinci Code

I'm sure they ignored it.

manuscriptx said:
I wrote a message saying as much to Random House over the Dan Brown fiasco over his book : The DaVinci Code

I'm sure they ignored it.
I'm sure they blacklisted your name... or simply threw the letter away.

Manuscriptx, I'm sure you have better things to do than write letters to Random House complaining about Dan Brown. You might as well be writing to the NBA about a scandal involving one of their players.

And agents and publishers are not out there to make every Joe Blow who's written a novel famous. They are there to make money. For themselves. That is their job, and that doesn't make them bad people. They have mouths to feed at home, too, and they deserve their salaries as much as we do. So, their job is to find the best writers and the best books and the writers and books that are the most marketable, and to make money for themselves. And yes, the writers they accept get money as well.

That is life. If you can't accept the way the business works, you have to find another field. You don't know how the agents' and publishers' evaluation process works, and believe me, they aren't turning down good work just to be mean. They're in it to make money. Just like you. (Not implying that this is your only goal, but I'm assuming you want to.)

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
Manuscriptx, I'm sure you have better things to do than write letters to Random House complaining about Dan Brown. You might as well be writing to the NBA about a scandal involving one of their players.

Hear the voice of reason. :)

Off-topic (ish), but it's worth pointing out that there WAS no Dan Brown scandal. I don't defend Brown's writing (an average thriller at best) but there was no plagiarism. The 'Holy Blood' writers claimed their book was factual. You cannot plagiarise 'facts'. If they sue for plagarism, they are tacitly admitting that they MADE IT UP. They can't have their consecrated cake and eat it too.

Back