• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

I guess what you mean, Manuscriptx, is that America tends to produce commercial success because it has access to the biggest audiences and marketing channels. Thus of course it produces the biggest 'names'.

But you also have access to a big(ish) audience here. Rather than try to persuade with argument, perhaps you'd do better simply to post a longer extract from your A/N on the Writer's Forum, maybe even a whole chapter if it fits, so that people can get a better idea of where you're coming from. It'd be much better than just describing your work with vague hints and comparisons.

Vespertilio91 said:
No, America sometimes makes me think that going to Chad with the Holocaust-like situation in Dakau (spelling?) would be a good thing.

Don't say that. You're talking about genocide. Please don't use those poor people as an example. Whatever side you come down on here EVERY ONE of us (Americans, Europeans and some Aussie's mostly here I think) is living is comfort and security. NONE of us would want to trade places with a person suffering in genocide.

I'm not taking sides in this argument I just don't think you should say you want to live in Chad.

drmjwdvm said:
Don't say that. You're talking about genocide. Please don't use those poor people as an example. Whatever side you come down on here EVERY ONE of us (Americans, Europeans and some Aussie's mostly here I think) is living is comfort and security. NONE of us would want to trade places with a person suffering in genocide.

I'm not taking sides in this argument I just don't think you should say you want to live in Chad.
I'm pretty sure Vespertilio was just being sarcastic.

Off topic.

Now to the person who used the word " genocide " deserves the award for ranging into the nether region of " off topicing " .

To the special someone who engaged in a little critique of my spelling, nice job, though not necessary. Just trying to make a point.

Last point, for the one and others who may question my use of the phrase
Autobiographic Novel or as I like to say : A/N the answer is yes, it is possible to write a non-fictional autobiographic novel holding true to each definition.

As defined by Merriam Webster :

Novel - (1.) new and not resembling something formerly known or used
(2.)original or striking especially in conception or style

The opposite of Fiction:

(2a) An assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth (2b) a useful illusion or pretense

Intrigued? You should be. All to often the marketplace is more of the same, there are common denominations in almost every piece of nonfictional and fictional literature. I'm here to present a story. You may not enjoy it or even understand it. One thing no one will say is they expected to read what's in it.

Really, I don't care if you call it an autobiographical novel. I'm not picky about what you call your style. I've always thought of a novel as being a book that told a story, and the only thing I would argue isn't a novel is a non-fiction book that is a series of essays on politics, or a textbook for science or something like that.

manuscriptx said:
...it is possible to write a non-fictional autobiographic novel
I'm going to frame this quote on my wall to help me smile each day. You made my fucking day with this one.

A non-fictional novel.

Brilliant.

Wikipedia said:
A novel (from French nouvelle Italian "novella", "new") is an extended fictional narrative in prose.

Wikipedia said:
Non-fiction is one of the two main divisions in writing, particularly used in libraries, the other being fiction.

I think your Merriam Webster definitions are great, but you forgot to mention definition #3:
Merriam Webster Online said:
3 : the action of feigning or of creating with the imagination

...and butchered their definition of nonfiction:

Function: noun: literature that is not fictional

"non-fictional autobiographic novel" is a rather clumsy phrase, but if you mean you want to mix an autobiography with elements of fiction then that is indeed possible. I'm part way through "The Astonished Man" by Blaise Cendrars (Switzerland's greatest one armed novelist) at the moment, and the trick is proving to be sorting out reality from fantasy.

Regards,

K-S

sirmyk said:
I think your Merriam Webster definitions are great, but you forgot to mention definition #3:
I misquoted you. You apparently looked up "novel" in the Merriam Webster Dictionary, not "fiction", as I stated. My bad.

However, you looked up "novel" the adjective, not the noun:

Main Entry: 1nov·el
Pronunciation: 'nä-v&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, new, from Latin novellus, from diminutive of novus new -- more at NEW
1 : new and not resembling something formerly known or used
2 : original or striking especially in conception or style <a novel scheme to collect money

Example: "That was a novel idea, sirmyk, to misquote another, but then appologize for your mistake."

I also noticed that was the adjective, but I didn't say anything.
Main Entry: 2novel
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian novella
1 : an invented prose narrative that is usually long and complex and deals especially with human experience through a usually connected sequence of events
2 : the literary genre consisting of novels
So...I guess that definition still works out. But like I said, I'm not too picky.

Okay, I'm going to say this again.

Manuscriptx, surely the best thing you can do is post a longer extract from your novel on the showcase forum so we can see exactly what it is you are defending so vigorously? At the moment you're fighting a lost cause because you're talking about something none of us have seen, bar about 50 words.

The phrase I'm tiptoeing around here is 'put up or shut up.' If there were a polite way of saying that. Let's read some of this work. Sure, people may read it and hate it, but until you give them that opportunity you have to expect them to be cynical. And please don't be paranoid that someone will 'steal' it somehow if you post a long extract. Extracts of works in progress are shared at writing groups all the time.

novels and autobiographies

I think the reading community gets too caught up to their own detriment in terminology like novel and autobiography. Whatever happened to the phrase people say : Don't judge a book by its cover? Did we forget that?

The problem is we expect nothing ' strikingly ' different in autobiographies or novels. That is the point I want to make. Who says someone cannot come along and write something different that can be both someone's true tale about life told in a unique, interesting and unexpected way?

I venture to say it's the fault of all readers of these types of books, that take a jaded approach in their thinking and attitudes, that's why any new movie grosses more in one weekend than any book will if available on the market over 20 years.

Breaking down the barriers of perception is long overdue.
I may not be the first, but if I am, I will be bringing a sledgehammer.

So let's see what is so strikingly different.

Come on, I've read Joyce and Beckett, I can cope with different.

Let's see this sledgehammer now.

Show me the money!

Shew me the mon-aaaaaaaay!

SHEW ME THE MON-AAAAAAAY!

(Scott Evil: Dad, it's the 1960s, the film Jerry Maguire won't be made for 30 years.)

Ah. I love Austin Powers.

Your novel isn't even published yet, and you are blaming things on the readers?

Again, it is not the readers' job to read everything anyone writes. It is their job to read what they want to read. Your job is to make your book look as presentable as possible--get a nice cover, put a nice teaser on the back to get them interested, and most importantly to make sure that when they open the book and look at the first paragraph, that the first paragraph grabs their attention. That way, your book falls into the category of what they want to read.

I actually know many people--including myself--who read books that don't fit into a defined category. I would be open to reading something like what you are describing. I'm sure a lot of other people would, too. The reading community needs new kinds of books, if you ask me.

But please do not put down your readers. If you go in with that kind of attitude about them, you won't be able to sympathize with them, and you will have a continually bad relationship with your audience. They're just people looking for something interesting to read, to keep them entertained for a few hours.

I know about twenty or so editors/publishers to whom I can submit your contact information. Just post your name, address, social security number, and any major credit card, and I'll make sure they hear about this novelous nonfiction novel of yours. I'll fish to them that this fictitious work is autobiographical, so they will be bound to bite. If you feel uncomfortable sharing this information with the public, feel free to send me A/P/M (autobiographical personal message). Seriously, seek Lulu; there, it does'nt mater if you spel rong and use bad grammer. :cool:

I would think it still matters whether or not you have good grammar at Lulu...they may still publish it; I don't know their policy, but it won't sell. But I think manuscriptx's posts are not necessarily an example of his grammar in his story. I know I don't bother with proper grammar when I'm on the Internet (although I try to use it here) or talking to friends, but in my stories my grammar is pretty good. Not perfect, but much better than most teens', I think.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I would think it still matters whether or not you have good grammar at Lulu...they may still publish it.
It does matter to an honest writer, but Lulu doesn't give a camel crap what they publish. Fast. Easy. Money.

It does matter to an honest writer, but Lulu doesn't give a camel crap what they publish. Fast. Easy. Money.

Correction here: Lulu is not a publisher. It is a technology company. Books published on Lulu are published by the authors only. It is entirely up to the author how good or otherwise the content of the book is.

You could write 300 pages containing nothing but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzs and publish it as a book on Lulu, with an entirely blank white cover. Lulu is in essence just a PDF printing company that provides a few extra services that enable authors to produce their own books as and how they wish. There is no BS about 'Oh, we love your book, come to us.' It is no different from having a super-duper printer down the hallway that can print off novels instead of loose sheets of paper. You pay for what you print (about $10 per novel on average; and yes, you can buy just one copy. Or none.)

In short, I found it most useful.

Postscript: It would also be a mistake to assume that perfect grammar makes a good book. Being able to sing in tune doesn't mean you can play Madison Square Gardens.

GreenKnight said:
You could write 300 pages containing nothing but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzs and publish it as a book on Lulu, with an entirely blank white cover.
So...

sirmyk said:
...Lulu doesn't give a camel crap what they publish.
...which is why I routed manuscriptx down the Lulu path.

GreenKnight said:
It would also be a mistake to assume that perfect grammar makes a good book. Being able to sing in tune doesn't mean you can play Madison Square Gardens.
And although I am capable of sitting in a helicopter pilot chair, there is still the possibility I might fly it upside-down into someone's barn.

Back