• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

Thanks for continuing to post an opinion in my thread.

Your right, I do have better things to do, which is why I am doing them. Literary writing although my first interest at a young age, is not what I spent most of my life sculpting into a career. Technology is.

I'm knowledgeable in computer hardware and software, diagnosis, troubleshooting, assembly and repair, as well as modest experience in art and short film.

Responding to either yours or someone else's use of Simon Cowell much like any other ' evaluator ' of talent, I would agree with it.

Prior to American Idol, who ever heard of ' simple Simon ' and his scaly personality, no one to my memory, so it's safe to assume people weren't banging down his door for fame as some might want to think.

To make a last point, as I said before, I take a mainly care-free attitude it's to no one's surprise how hard other people take disappointment and rejection. They stalk, harass, murder someone and/or themselves.

I think expressing myself in these message boards and discussions is the least, but best way to get an opinion heard and agreed or disagreed with.

In that case, manuscriptx, I would definitely recommend that you check out Lulu.com and see if you can get some success with your writing there. With your technology background you should find the mechanics of self-publishing much easier than I did.

Quite a few people seem to have no small success with Lulu POD publishing, and in a few cases it has led on to bigger things. Moreover, the community is a particulary good place to sound out markets and get exposure.

If you are finding your style of writing is not appealing to mainstream outlets, then Lulu is the place to see if you do, after all, have a potential audience willing to pay for your work. You retain all rights, too, so there is nothing to lose.

(BTW I have absolutely no affiliation with Lulu. This is a pure customer recommendation, so if anyone is let down by them in any way, I disavow all knowledge...!)

manuscriptx said:
Prior to American Idol, who ever heard of ' simple Simon ' and his scaly personality, no one to my memory, so it's safe to assume people weren't banging down his door for fame as some might want to think.

Well, the British had heard of him because the first show was called Pop Idol before the rights were sold to American television.

As for Simon Cowell's fame, it is not due to people banging down his door but hard work on his part. He started off working in the mail room of a record company and worked his way up through the ranks to become a producer and then a consultant before forming his own record label and signing a number of acts that proved chart toppers in the UK. I suppose you could say he is a self-made man rather than one of the glory-hunting muppets that appear on his shows.

Stewart said:
Well, the British had heard of him because the first show was called Pop Idol before the rights were sold to American television.

I too must confess a fondness for Simon Cowell. He is on the level. And I'm clearly not alone - he always gets the loudest cheer of all the judges. Maybe because he dares to say the things we all dream of saying...

My lordy, this has now become a Simon Cowell thread! We've created a monster...

Self-publishing

Thanks for the suggestions to those that make them. Self-publishing, although I admit I don't know enough about it conceptually, sounds all too much a self-funding operation from beginning to end.

Assuming I can come across a publisher who's interested in the work, I would much rather spend their money in resources to continue writing.

Yes, I'm always thinking of proprietary rights, which is why I want to always keep as many options open and available all the time.

To make one last point for today, someone brought up Simon Cowell's accomplishments as a record producer in the UK?

I'd just like to remind everyone that the UK is part of Europe, the same Europe that made David Hasselhoff a musical success.

manuscriptx said:
someone brought up Simon Cowell's accomplishments as a record producer in the UK?

I'd just like to remind everyone that the UK is part of Europe, the same Europe that made David Hasselhoff a musical success.

Oh, how very knowledgable of you! Let's not forget that David Hasselhoff's success is in a specific European country - by the name of Germany - and the music industry from country to country differs. But let's not forget that it was America that gave Germany David Hasselhoff in the first place. And don't ever knock The Hoff; Hot Shot City is a fantastic song.

Assuming I can come across a publisher who's interested in the work

I very much doubt it. Unless it's called Finnegans Wake 2 I don't believe you stand a chance. Your letter above is an incoherent mess with grammar all over the place and words that just don't gel with others.

How did we get from an autobiography to Simon Cowell, David Hasselhoff, and Dan Brown. As if we didn't have enough of those threads already. ^^

Stewart said:
Without them the autobiography was lacking character.
This quote made my day. :) How ever, I wood love to sea a descent publisher sine this guy, such as looloo.

Stewart said:
Without them the autobiography was lacking character.
XDDD.

I think you should listen to GreenKnight on the self-publishing thing. He self-published his book, and that seems to have turned out successfully. I've actually considered doing that myself, except Penguin Books is looking for my genre right now and I might be able to get a deal with them first.

And, yes, Simon Cowell ROCKS. Everyone thinks he's too mean, but we all know we only tune into American Idol to see him say, "That is ABSOLUTELY the WORST EVER..." And besides, he's right. He shows people who can't sing that they can't sing, and those that can, he can only help improve.

Success always starts at home. Here in America.

I think perhaps I touched a nerve criticizing both David Hasselhoff and Simon Cowell.

Well if that's the case, I say good. It's not a surprise America has plenty to do with their success stories. Be it David Hasselhoff's Knight Rider series in the 80's or Simon Cowell's American Idol show now.

How much of a fortune would they be living large off of had they stayed were they were in their respective countries?

Not much. That seems eye-bleedingly obvious.

A world full of success stories.

I am sure there are plenty of people in all countries of the world who are accomplished in their lives, Americans will never know of.

I wonder who's on Paupa New Guinea's version of the Billboard Top 10?

I wonder what movie filmed and released in Fiji became a box office smash overnight, reminiscent of The Blair Witch Project here in the US?

I know, you might think I am so far off topic for this message thread starter, but I am not, my A/N ( autobiographic novel ) and short film titles share exact preliminary and future substantive content.

To give everyone a small clue into my kind of world. In very small fragments it can be likened to movies you may or maynot be familiar with.

Johnny Depp - Secret Window
Lance Henriksen - Alien Vs. Predator
Denzel Washington - The Manchurian Candidate
- Man On Fire
Arnold Schwartzenegger - End Of Days

Just to name a few.

manuscriptx said:

I wonder what movie filmed and released in Fiji became a box office smash overnight, reminiscent of The Blair Witch Project here in the US?

You could always Google to find out if you truly are wondering. Personally, I'm amazed you've even heard of these places. Worrying though that you should assume that they will base their culture on American things such as Billboard charts and box offices - these things come and go so fast, they are hardly cultural at all.

I know, you might think I am so far off topic for this message thread starter

So far somewhere else, in fact, and it's much closer to home. ;)

manuscriptx said:
I am sure there are plenty of people in all countries of the world who are accomplished in their lives, Americans will never know of.

I know, you might think I am so far off topic for this message thread starter, but I am not, my A/N ( autobiographic novel ) and short film titles share exact preliminary and future substantive content.

To give everyone a small clue into my kind of world. In very small fragments it can be likened to movies you may or maynot be familiar with.

Johnny Depp - Secret Window
Lance Henriksen - Alien Vs. Predator
Denzel Washington - The Manchurian Candidate
- Man On Fire
Arnold Schwartzenegger - End Of Days

Just to name a few.

This is my favourite post on the board for ages. I haven't got a f@#king clue what it means, and I'm not going to read the rest of the thread to find out, I just like it. Perhaps Novella can move over from the therapy thread to help out?

Yours in confused admiration,

K-S

Culture takes time; it isn't a fad. Would you say that disco was a culture? No. So why would you base your novel off things that change so quickly?

I will not pretend that America is the best country in the world; in fact, IMO, it is one of the worst. It is a hog, taking everything from everyone else; it has a leader who has the IQ of a piece of bread; and most importantly, it thinks itself better than all the rest. No, America sometimes makes me think that going to Chad with the Holocaust-like situation in Dakau (spelling?) would be a good thing. We ignore all the problems of everyone else, and focus in on only ours.

Now I bet I will get a bunch of PMs on how stupid I am, but I don't care. This is my opinion and I'm sticking by it.

Just saying that NonAmerican countries have a say-so in this world too, not just the big bully.

As far as I know, there is no Billboard in Papua New Guinea, Fiji isn't well known for their "blockbuster movies", and Arnold Schwarzenegger is the star of End of Days, not Arnold Schwartzenegger.

A/N ( autobiographic novel )
New term? A/N? You know "novel" correlates to "fiction", right?

It's true; America is the sweaty crotch of the world.

manuscriptx said:

You know, I doubt people in Paupa New Guinea have any clue what's at the top of American billboards, either. And if people leave their native countries legally to come here where they make money, who are you and I to complain? What's wrong with that?

Back