• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

Manuscript, not all criticism is meant to be positive. I have taken negative, and sometimes harsh, criticism and learned to deal with it. I am 17, and you are over 30. I should think you would be more prepared to be mature about it than I would be.

And as for being polite and cordial to other authors, I have known Vespertilio for years and we frequently critique each other's work. Criticism is not always positive between us, but he has always been cordial. GreenKnight and I speak occasionally on private messages, and he has always been wonderfully polite. The only reason he comes across as being rude to you is because 1) you took the criticism too personally and 2) he likely became tired of you being stubborn and insisting we e-mail you.

GreenKnight and Stewart, like me, are hesitant to give out their e-mail addresses to someone they don't know. I have been the victim of an Internet stalker in the past, and I don't want to take any chances. And you are the one who wants us to judge the work, as there is no reason we should feel especially priveliged to do it, so why should we e-mail you begging to read more? If you're so eager to have your work read and judged, you should be aware that some potential readers are afraid their security could be compromised, and courteously post the work here for us to read instead.

We are not abstaining from e-mailing you because we lack the intellectual capacity of five-year-olds. We are abstaining from e-mailing you because we have enough intellectual capacity to realize that it is not a smart idea to hand our e-mails out to everyone who asks. Especially considering that you do not seem to hold any of us in high regard.

Would you be willing to e-mail one of us if the situation is reversed? As you would probably be sending the document to us in an attatchment, if you were opening it, wouldn't you be worried that the author had (intentionally or unintentionally) attatched a virus? Maybe you wouldn't find the circumstance exceptionally likely, and I am by no means accusing you of doing so, but you have to consider our positions.

manuscriptx said:
If posting a comment, one could write ( note, I said COULD ) the following:

Manuscriptx, aside from what I think are a few spelling and grammatical errors, what you put down so far sounds interesting.

Since you asked for a simple response, here's a simple response... a slightly modified version of your own "pat on the back":

Manuscriptx, aside from what I think is an embarrassing display of spelling and grammatical errors for what little you put down so far (a few improperly structured displays of semi-sentences thrown into horribly punctuated wanna-be narrative), it reads like a five-year-old regurgitating words he or she has discovered using a word processor's built-in thesaurus, and nothing more.​

Simple enough?

Or, since you insist on us contacting you for your desired feedback (which is rather selfless, no?), why don't you PM one of us (not the other way around) to ask for help/critique... thus, saving us from the rediculous act of providing to you our e-mail addresses.

o_O Gee, simyrk...that's kinda harsh...

But I agree that utilizing the PM systems would be an excellent idea. I imagine that is one of the reasons they were put in place. You can send up to 5 PMs at a time, so if you wanted, you could probably PM all interested persons at the same time.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
And as for being polite and cordial to other authors, I have known Vespertilio for years and we frequently critique each other's work. Criticism is not always positive between us, but he has always been cordial.
Yep. Valkyrie, your work is horrible, too plain, indecisive, and most often very confusing. Your work will never make it into a novel, much less a writing contest. I would rather read manuscript's autobiographical novel than read your pathetic excuse for one. In fact, I'd rather be accused of being a witch, and be burned at the stake for such a crime as to reading your novel.*being sarcastic* ^^ :D :D :D :D And that was a nice review. :D
ValkyrieRaven88 said:
GreenKnight and Stewart, like me, are hesitant to give out their e-mail addresses to someone they don't know.
What am I? Chopped liver? I clearly stated that I didn't want a stranger to have my e-mail address. Just forget about everything I've said, and go to the big fellas. T_T ^^
ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I have been the victim of an Internet stalker in the past, and I don't want to take any chances. And you are the one who wants us to judge the work, as there is no reason we should feel especially priveliged to do it, so why should we e-mail you begging to read more? If you're so eager to have your work read and judged, you should be aware that some potential readers are afraid their security could be compromised, and courteously post the work here for us to read instead. We are not abstaining from e-mailing you because we lack the intellectual capacity of five-year-olds. We are abstaining from e-mailing you because we have enough intellectual capacity to realize that it is not a smart idea to hand our e-mails out to everyone who asks. Especially considering that you do not seem to hold any of us in high regard.
This is what we've tried to tell you before. We are trying to be cautious with how we give out our personal information. You should at least oblige and please place your work in the appropriate forum. Two reasons... 1) Your work will be seen and critiqued by more than just us who waste our time trying to convince you to copy it onto the forum, and 2) we will get to actually see what you've been defending for the last month on the space of fifty or so words.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
Would you be willing to e-mail one of us if the situation is reversed? As you would probably be sending the document to us in an attatchment, if you were opening it, wouldn't you be worried that the author had (intentionally or unintentionally) attatched a virus? Maybe you wouldn't find the circumstance exceptionally likely, and I am by no means accusing you of doing so, but you have to consider our positions.
I very highly doubt you would e-mail us if we asked you out of the blue to e-mail us for a bit of an autobiographical novel. So, please don't ask us to do what you wouldn't do yourself. Put yourself in the other person's shoes (I know, very cliche, but I couldn't think of anything else) and imagine what it would be like for them, not you.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
o_O Gee, sirmyk...that's kinda harsh...
Not really, in these circumstances. I actually found it quite funny.

The Communication Gap

There seems to be a disconnect between what I ask for in a simple thread starter, and those select few or many who choose to post a series of responses to it.

Far be it for me to control anyone's thinking, tell someone what to do and how to do it, yet I find peoples comments, further evidence of my needing to do exactly that.

It's not hard to simply read a post and choose not to respond. On the other hand, for some of you that seems not enough. What's wrong, are you having intellectual difficulty? Who is making you do anything? Not me.

If I came across my own thread as an anonymous member, I would read it, comprehend it, and for reasons others gave like e-mail privacy, wanting to see more of what the author will not post, calls for my simply saying : hey, it's good stuff or bad stuff, or needs more work and leave it at that.

For some of you, that's not enough. As I said, going out of your way to point out the irrelevant, inconsequential and flat out ignorable. Maybe that's all your used to doing as older members of this thread, I will consider that. But really.

Finally, I would like to say my apparent distain is not due to all of you giving me negative criticism, because there is a clear distinction between this nonsense and genuine criticism.

Like other thread starters I've posted over the internet most of them continue to go unresponded to, which I certainly expect. This one's first series of responses were appreciated as I said, however the ' tone ' became noticably different hence my needing to dish out my own brand of coloquy, albeit stern.

1.) What's to stop the person who emails, and then receives the written work of Mr. Pain-in-the-scriptix, from then cutting-and-pasting his work here for others to see?

2.) I'm drawn to this thread for no other reason than to see exactly how long it's going to take for each of you to tire of this sha-poopery.

3.) Is it better to ignore Pain-in-the-scriptix until he posts something to actually critique, or is it best to continue baiting him for the sheer pleasure of reading his replies?

manuscriptx said:
There seems to be a disconnect between what I ask for in a simple thread starter, and those select few or many who choose to post a series of responses to it.

Far be it for me to control anyone's thinking, tell someone what to do and how to do it, yet I find peoples comments, further evidence of my needing to do exactly that.

It's not hard to simply read a post and choose not to respond. On the other hand, for some of you that seems not enough. What's wrong, are you having intellectual difficulty? Who is making you do anything? Not me.

If I came across my own thread as an anonymous member, I would read it, comprehend it, and for reasons others gave like e-mail privacy, wanting to see more of what the author will not post, calls for my simply saying : hey, it's good stuff or bad stuff, or needs more work and leave it at that.

For some of you, that's not enough. As I said, going out of your way to point out the irrelevant, inconsequential and flat out ignorable. Maybe that's all your used to doing as older members of this thread, I will consider that. But really.

Finally, I would like to say my apparent distain is not due to all of you giving me negative criticism, because there is a clear distinction between this nonsense and genuine criticism.

Like other thread starters I've posted over the internet most of them continue to go unresponded to, which I certainly expect. This one's first series of responses were appreciated as I said, however the ' tone ' became noticably different hence my needing to dish out my own brand of coloquy, albeit stern.
Do you ever read what you post? The entire quoted section above makes no fucking sense. What language do you speak, primarily? English? I think (or hope) not.

Motokid said:
...I'm drawn to this thread for no other reason than to see exactly how long it's going to take for each of you to tire of this sha-poopery...
Hypnotic isn’t it? It’s like watching a group of chimpanzees at the zoo throwing excrement at each other to decide who gets first go on the tyre swing.

Motokid said:
1.) What's to stop the person who emails, and then receives the written work of Mr. Pain-in-the-scriptix, from then cutting-and-pasting his work here for others to see?
Exactly what we've said for the last eight pages.
Monokid said:
2.) I'm drawn to this thread for no other reason than to see exactly how long it's going to take for each of you to tire of this sha-poopery.
Well, most of us aren't going to quit until manuscriptx actually listens to what we have to say, and judging on what he's done so far, that is going to take a REALLY LONG TIME!
Motokid said:
3.) Is it better to ignore Pain-in-the-scriptix until he posts something to actually critique, or is it best to continue baiting him for the sheer pleasure of reading his replies?
Well, I think it's better to continue baiting him. I'm having fun reading what this blatherskite writes.
Kenny Shovel said:
Hypnotic isn’t it? It’s like watching a group of chimpanzees at the zoo throwing excrement at each other to decide who gets first go on the tyre swing.
We aren't monkeys throwing shit around, Kenny. Do you want to be the next target?

I don't think we're allowed to post other people's work on the Showcase forum without their permission.

What Manuscript doesn't seem to get, still, is that we can't easily critique the little snub of a passage he gave us. There was no characterization in it, no dialogue, it was too short, and it just wasn't the best passage he could have chosen to show us. Which is why we have tried to point out that if he posted more of it, we might be able better critique it.

If someone wants to e-mail him, be my guest, but I'm not doing it. I think my reasons are well-justified and that should be enough for everyone. I should point out that Manuscript hasn't given a logical reason for why he will not post more here. The only thing I can think is that he may be afraid someone will steal it. However, if someone was going to steal his work, they would steal an entire book, not just one passage, and he will not be posting his entire book. And the same thing could happen through e-mailing interested people, so I doubt that should be a real concern of his.

And Vespertilio, please don't feel bad! I love you, too! *hug*

Kenny Shovel said:
ablogs.warwick.ac.uk_images_charlotteion_2004_11_18_lottie.jpg

79964349d3fba603a.gif

awww.scaredofbees.com_images_look_monkey_painting.jpg

evilmonkeythrowpoo9dx.jpg

Vespertilio91 said:
We aren't monkeys throwing shit around, Kenny. Do you want to be the next target?
Oh no, I'm being threatened by an anonymous teenage bookworm. What would Churchill do?

Thanks.

Given the most recent juvenile nonsense like cartoon pictures, it's apparent this ' discussion ' has reached a conclusion.

Thank You. I appreciated the early page one evaluations.

The cartoons were aimed at Kenny Shovel, who seems to find the most obscure images (and posts them) every once in a while. That, and to admit I was one of the poo throwers, hence the phrase "I throw poo".

Actually, I wasn't planning on posting any more comments on this thread, but I must remark that I found the pictures more mature than manuscriptx's posts...which is sad.

Oh, Kenny. You are being threatened by an anonymous teenage bookworm who knows how to use poison.

Good day to you, and watch every move you make.

I hope manuscriptx doesn't leave. Then there isn't a funny 'make fun of someone' thread anymore. T_T

Back