• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

Creativity 101

The first lesson I shall teach you, my students, is this.

Contrary to any dissenting opinion, creativity is neither manufactured, distributed, nor sold in a box of limitations. The rules of english do not need be strictly adhered to when conveying something designed to do more for a reader other than simply being a series of words read and critiqued.

I shall hope this clears up a few clouded, albeit, small minds.

It is amusing to see so many who by their messages, relish the role of
' proper english teacher ' when it is very likely to say none of them
were above average students themselves or are creative writers themselves.

Thank You.

manuscriptx, honey, you have to be proficient with words first - with tangible proof - in order to even think about deconstructing the language. Joyce, for example, probably would not have got far in life if Finnegans Wake was the first book he wrote. No, he wrote Dubliners, a collection of stories showing mastery of the English language, before twisting the language - and many others - to suit his literary needs.

What is creative writing.

Creative writing is much above and beyond : see spot run. It takes more to grab a reader's attention than just proper pronouns, adjectives and verbs.

I've read some romance, mystery, and even political espionage. Foul language, juxtaposition, and a little help from a reader's imagination carries a certain books from one end of a cover to the other.

I think people are too wrapped up in trying to convey an opinion that sucessful writing can ONLY be achieved with stainless steel proper english, which - I am sincerely sorry to say - is a total crock.

Just my opinion. ( Thankfully no one can take away from me. )

manuscriptx said:
Foul language, juxtaposition, and a little help from a reader's imagination carries a certain books from one end of a cover to the other.
WTF?

I think people are too wrapped up in trying to convey an opinion that sucessful writing can ONLY be achieved with stainless steel proper english, which - I am sincerely sorry to say - is a total crock.

There is a grain, no more than a grain of truth in this (Joyce, e e cummings and others have demonstrated it). BUT - and if I could write that BUT in 128pt bold I would - a certain level of expertise is still needed. Think of all the people who think they can do DIY, and end up with their houses practically falling down. Plastering or grammar, it all amounts to the same end result.

GreenKnight said:
Think of all the people who think they can do DIY, and end up with their houses practically falling down. Plastering or grammar, it all amounts to the same end result.

Think of all those people who think they can write autobiographical novels but nobody is banging on their inbox to read it.

manuscriptx said:
The first lesson I shall teach you, my students, is this.
So now we're your students and your the omniscient God that rules over our pathetic lives! :eek: I don't think so!
manuscriptx said:
I shall hope this clears up a few clouded, albeit, small minds.
Quality over quantity, manuscriptx!
manuscriptx said:
My involvement with internet discussions I do not start myself, for the most part last no more than a few seconds of reading a title or the opening paragraph.
Ahh, now we know why nothing you say makes sense!
manuscriptx said:
I've read some romance, mystery, and even political espionage. Foul language, juxtaposition, and a little help from a reader's imagination carries a certain books from one end of a cover to the other.
Yeah, so have millions of people, but that doesn't make them writers; now does it?

I think that's all I have to say, but I'll probably come up with something else to throw at you (maybe like a bowling ball). :D

Judging by the embarrassing amount of duplicate pleas for attention you have made on similar forums (from Internet scouting agents and publishers, no less!), I see a very short future in the literary (or shall I say “illiteracy”) world, manuscriptx. Note that you will never "win" here (or on any other like forum) a pointless arguing match such as the 8+ pages of improper structuring of language you have presented to us thus far. If you leave, we'll leave you alone. Please leave. Please. And don't respond to this. Just go. I'm tired of stumbling through your bad grammar and your running sentences.

manuscriptx said:
Creative writing is much above and beyond : see spot run. It takes more to grab a reader's attention than just proper pronouns, adjectives and verbs...
Manuscriptx, I didn't hear anyone say you had to have perfect English. You have to have good English, though. All you must do is run a spelling/grammar check on your work. And do you know why this is an important thing? Because if you cannot communicate in proper English, it can be an indication of sloppiness. If you are talking to agents and publishers, or even just writing a story they will see, you do not want to give that impression. You should aim for good grammar for the same reason we wear nice clothes to job interviews.

And, with few exceptions, sloppiness usually falls hand-in-hand with poor writing. I am not saying you cannot slightly bend the rules. Personally, I love using sentence fragments for dramatic effect. The grammar you have been bending does not seem to be for dramatic effect or dialogue.

But, again, we do not have a good grasp of your writing because you have not shown us what it looks like. I know GreenKnight, Vespertilio91, and I have all posted in the Writer's Showcase forum and gotten opinions on our work there. We have suggested this numerous times, especially GreenKnight. Why haven't you done it? If you believe your work is so good, prove it to us. Otherwise we will likely assume it isn't as good as you say it is, and that you're afraid we will discover this. What would you assume if it was one of us refusing to post his/her work?

And it's not like we're asking you do do something we wouldn't--and haven't--done ourselves. I invite you to critique my work if you like. You could even go to the work I have on the link in my signature. I'm sure GreenKnight and Vespertilio would not object to you having a look at their work, although I cannot speak for either of them.

manuscriptx said:
I see there are many in here who for whatever reason of their own wish to type opinions.

BTW, what kind of point are you trying to make here?

Isn't this exactly what a forum is for? Isn't that what you wanted? For us to type opinions on your work? Is it our fault that our opinions turned out to be unfavorable to you?

If you don't like the answer, maybe you shouldn't ask the question in the first place. We gave our honest opinions. That's what you asked us to do, and that's all we can do. Please do not try to make us feel guilty for that, or try to make it sound like it is a bad thing.

Also, isn't this what you are doing? For whatever reason of your own, typing opinions? Aren't you typing opinions about the rest of us, and about your own work? Does that make you a hypocrite? At least the rest of us are thinking before we type.

Reasons why people buy books.

Judging from the many opposing opinions I am indeed mistaken as to the reason people, particularly the likes of all of you - buy books.

I was under the impression people bought books to read and either enjoy or critique it's content, obviously that is an incorrect assumption.

It seems people like playing the role of english teacher criticizing spelling and grammatical errors.

It would have helped me not to waste my time asking for anyone to evaluate my work on the merit of its CONTENT when all people like to do ( at least as is presented in everyone's attitude here ) is beat someone over the head about inconsequential circumstances like spelling and grammar of internet discussion posts.

Young people prefer making careers out of entertainment, and technology. Becomming doctors or lawyers particularly if their sole interest is making money, God forbid they enter the literary profession and have to deal with the likes of an imbecillic, irritable and incoherent reading community, much less ask for an opinion on their work and wether or not it sounds even remotely attractive to read.

It's probably why there are so few writers and those that do write are unknown to the general public compared to to big and small screen producers and directors, even though they essentially do the same thing - craft a good story.

Are you now saying that content - however hard we have to dig within your nonsense - is all that's appropriate. I would have thought presentation was high on the list. You need to work on your presentation.

I buy books to read, yes, but if I can't understand what is being said, then I throw it away. Your posts would be one of those circumstances. Oh and I love the new signature. It makes you even more of an idiot. You spelled wether wrong. It's w-h-e-t-h-e-r. :D

Oh and it would have helped us not to waste our time having to beg you to post more of your nucking fovel.

The reason directors are so well-known and writers not is because most people are too lazy or too idiotic to actually read and enjoy the wonders that are in a book. However, most people here (a few exceptions allowed) do not fall into that category. We read books. We decipher them. We enjoy them.

Oh, you do know that when we say you've been using gigantic words in order to make yourself seem smarter, (a tough job, I know) we're talking about your posts along with your autobiographical work. Not just the work is being criticized here. But I guess because we didn't use words like ubiquitous and juxtaposed, you don't understand that.

p.s. Have you even posted in another thread on B&R? Or do you focus all your pathetic energies on this one thread, trying to prove to us that you are a genius and that we are all mindless scum.

He had one other thread, also related to his autobiographical novel.

Manuscriptx, you seem to be operating under the impression that we are all wrong and you are right. It is extraordinarily rare that one person is right when ten others are wrong.

And, as Stewart said, your presentation is very poor. I have to force myself to read through your posts. Something about the way they are written--not just the vocabulary, because I understand most of that--makes them hard to comprehend. I think it's more that that's bothering people than actual grammar. And if you don't want us complaining about your grammatical errors, stop making them.

But, from what I gather, you want us to judge your creativity. We have tried that, but you have shown us nothing creative. I suggest you follow the examples of the rest of the people posting on this thread, and post a passage of your work in the Writer's Showcase forum. It is not that difficult; it is a copy-and-paste job. If you cannot do that, quit whining about how we don't understand your work, or implying that this is because we don't read enough. As Vespertilio so wonderfully pointed out, why else would we join a book forum except that we love to read?

Um, I'm not quite sure that is his signature. It doesn't show up on his profile, and it's not on his other posts...I think, for whatever reason, he decided to divide the two parts of his message.

manuscriptx said:
I blame myself nevertheless, yes it was a mistake to ask for something no one has the care to actually do like judging content creativity or text that interests the reader for more.

Listen up, manuscriptx, if you don't post any of your content then how the hell are we supposed to judge it for your creativity? I, like others, will not email you for your sample, because I'm not willing to give out my email address to some demented loony on the internet. I get enough crap landing in my Inbox without your unfocused ramblings turning up too. So put up or shut up (preferably the latter) and post your sample here!

God forbid they enter the literary profession and have to deal with the likes of an imbecillic, irritable and incoherent reading community, much less ask for an opinion on their work and wether or not it sounds even remotely attractive to read.

Once again, post your work and we can form an opinion. As it is now, all we have is your confusing defense of nothing other than your inability to form a clear sentence. And God forbid some illiterate twerp enters the literary profession. Plus, you truly are looking at yourself with rose tinted glasses - have you ever stopped to think that it may not be the reading communty at fault, that you're just shit at what you do?

And you will know us by the trail of Threads

It's probably why there are so few writers and those that do write are unknown to the general public compared to to big and small screen producers and directors, even though they essentially do the same thing - craft a good story.

Proof, if any were needed, that our friend is delusional. I'm not sure it's fair to continue to mock someone with such a tenuous grip on reality.

Few writers? Have you ever seen the inside of a bookshop?

Aside: Films do better commercially than books not because the public are idiots but because of a simple economic factor: ease of distribution. A film takes 2 hours to watch and can hit hundreds of thousands of people worldwide simultaneously, day after day. Most books are slower-burning than that.

A intutitive response.

I only offer one points for today.

Someone clearly forgot the original point of my becomming a member only for the purposes of writing this one and only thread starter as well as others around the internet. I ask only that if what little I write ( yes, regardless of any spelling or grammatical misque ) gains even the slighest interest, by all means e-mail me for more.

Some of you : my ' detractors ' seem to be having trouble comprehending that concept, albeit a very simple one even a five year old can know.

Allow me to give some of you a little guidance. Any member who comes across my thread reads what I have posted, has some ability to look past the inconsequentials like spelling, typos, or genuine poor grammar and is interested, knows that there are only two options, not to respond at all
(1) or respond in the only way requested.

If posting a comment, one could write ( note, I said COULD ) the following:

Manuscriptx, aside from what I think are a few spelling and grammatical errors, what you put down so far sounds interesting.

No followup response. Now I ask all of you, what's so difficult about that?
Is it so impossible, improbable or just plain wrong to be courteous, polite and generally cordial to a prospective author? In dealing with all of you, that answer is a resounding yes, however unfortunate I think it is.

Like many who have said before me, I will not give my e-mail address out to someone I don't even know. I don't know who the hell you are. Why should I trust you?

We aren't going to e-mail strangers. Even five-years olds know not to talk to strangers. We understand your concept, but you are having trouble comprehending ours.
manuscriptx said:
If posting a comment, one could write ( note, I said COULD ) the following:
Manuscriptx, aside from what I think are a few spelling and grammatical errors, what you put down so far sounds interesting.
We could write that, but without an actual presentation, we can't. I'm sorry, but if you want more positive criticism, then post more of your autobiography for us to see. From what we've been able to read, you have been born three times, and died once, yet you are still here to tell us your story. No other explanation given other than your life is, in a word, nonsequitor.

What's so difficult about copying, pasting, and posting. We've been asking you this all along, yet you seem to think that you should do the same thing except in a private e-mail. C'mon! That's just...I don't even know a word for what that is.

It is possible, probable, and right for people to be courteous, polite, and cordial to anybody, but in these circumstances, the people must fight for what you've promised, and are getting very agitated in the process. That is why we insult you, so that you give us what you've said you would.

If we are so impolite, shut up, leave us alone, and stop bothering us. That would be the most cordial thing you could do at the moment. We've been posting in this forum for ages, and no one other than you has complained about how we talk to one another. And since no one else has whined, then it must be you who is the problem, and you who needs to get a life.

Good day to you.

Back