• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

Vespertilio91 said:
GreenKnight, you are another who uses words that are too big for me to understand, and ones that I am too lazy to look up. What does 'osmium' mean anyway?

Wilful obscurity, I'm afraid. I recalled from an old Asimov book that osmium is the densest of the elements (until you get into silly territory like neutronium).

I found this definition, by the way, in a hilarious SF writer's glossary called the Turkey City Lexicon:

• Gingerbread
Useless ornament in prose, such as fancy sesquipedalian Latinate words where short clear English ones will do. Novice authors sometimes use "gingerbread" in the hope of disguising faults and conveying an air of refinement. (Attr. Damon Knight)

The whole glossary can be found here:
http://www.sfwa.org/writing/turkeycity.html

Poppy1 said:
C'mon Vesper, you used etiolated in one of your poems - I had to look that up :D
Yeah, I was browsing a dictionary and found that one. :D I just couldn't find osmium in my dictionary at home, and didn't have time to look it up on the Internet because very nasty storms came through right after I posted. Didn't want to destroy my computer. Then I couldn't come back here.

Vespertilio91 said:
He did, and that was one of the worst things to happen to this world.
By E/A/Poe, I meant Evan Autobiographical Poe. He was a failed author during Edgar's time who wrote nonfictional fiction.

I must confess something to the audience.

There are several ways to type out a thought.
Being plain and blunt isn't always the best way to go
when dealing with people, especially the likes of all of you.

How many times can you type an accusation
of someone being stupid, inept or just plain dense?

Not very many I would imagine. Therefore I would like to think
it is possible to engage in a linguistic activity that is somewhat
more ' advanced ' given this enviorment - I would think is NOT
populated by first graders.

manuscriptx: a yes or not question. I want you to answer in the affirmative or the negative as I can't be bothered to try and translate half the nonsense spouting from you just to see if you are making a point or just tapping away for the sake of it.

Is English your first language?

sirmyk said:
By E/A/Poe, I meant Evan Autobiographical Poe. He was a failed author during Edgar's time who wrote nonfictional fiction.
Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about Edgar Allen Poe because he used lots and lots and lots of big words.

There! Do I sound enough like a first grader, manuscriptx, or should I add lots of mispelings and wronger gramer usage?

Oh, and manuscriptx, you probably wouldn't get such bad reviews if you A) created this thread in the right section, B) didn't try to impress us all with your large vocabulary (frankly, it can't be that big, because you can't use the words in a proper sentence), and C) just say what you think instead of making us translate this foreign language that you've created. It's very annoying and gives me a headache.

manuscriptx said:
There are several ways to type a thought
But typing them in every single one of those different ways is not the way to go!

p.s. Not every post needs a title. It seems very minor, but it bugs the crap out of me.

I think it would get a bit old very quickly. I prefer to read and dig out the meanings, not have them summed up in the first three words I see.

Manuscriptx, I must say that I fully agree with GreenKnight. It looks like you are using words that you have no idea what they mean. And I think you are doing that because you are overcompensating because you want us to think you are intelligent.

I saw a quote once that said something to the effect of, "It is far better when others find out your good qualities for themselves, without you having to tell them to them." So please. I think pretty much everyone on this site is of some intelligence, so let's leave it at that without trying to confuse one another.

NOTE: I am not saying you are unintelligent. I am saying you are trying to prove that you are, and going about the wrong way doing it. I don't want to start a flame war here, because I can't afford to buy a helmet.

Neither do I wish to be involved in a war of any kind, flame or otherwise. Though the efforts to get Manuscriptx to hand over a reasonable extract of his work do remind me rather of that famous fiasco of Mr S. Hussein and the WMDs.

If we all promise to be reasonable and impartial while commenting on your work, Manuscriptx, will you post a few pages in Writer's Showcase? This is getting farcical otherwise...

From intellectual chaos comes order.

I see there are many in here who for whatever reason of their own wish to type opinions. If one were to stop and think about it, that takes a lot of time and effort.

My involvement with internet discussions I do not start myself, for the most part last no more than a few seconds of reading a title or the opening paragraph.

As I said once before, I see it did not take having to disclose much, nor did it take long before a considerable number of you decided to join this exercise. There are far too many of you who have joined for the purposes of either being a constructive critic or an irritable fly in need of squashing.

I would imagine if some who have spent ( wasted ) their time among agreeable people, I must be a refreshing sight to verbally spar with.

We can drop the facades now and just call a spade a spade.

Last thing I would say to those poor individuals who have run out of rhyme or reason to engage others, don't worry, perhaps you will find something worth your time other than engaging in a meaningless infantile coloquy.

Thank you and try to have a nice day wherever you may be.

Someone needs advice from the Comma Commander. And the Period Policeman. And the Semicolon Secretariat. And the Appropriate-use-of-noun/adverb/adjective Associate. And the Is-this-a-sentence-or-an-ill-conceived-hanging-participle Person.

Did I miss anyone?

Perhaps the Shut-the-fell-huck-up Samaritan?

Or the Manuscriptx Magicianx?

We should set up a new award. Like the Darwin Awards, only this one is in praise of blind, insane, wild optimism based on a spectacularly skewed perception of one's own worth and talent. (I actually have a row of these trophies on my self-assembly mantelpiece at home, or at least I did until the mantelpiece fell down).

Suggestions for the name of the Award? To my mind springs the 'Icarus' award, but it might be a bit too la-di-da and classical... I suspect the kids of today need something more "happening" and A.D. :eek:

Back