• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tell us your ghost story...

Jenem

kickbox
In honour of Hallowe'en, tell us your ghost story! Here's mine...

After my husband finished school about 5 years ago, we moved into the poolhouse at his parent’s home. A few months later, he took a job on Vancouver Island while I stayed behind. One night, a few weeks after he was gone, I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. Suddenly, right beside my ear, I heard a hard breath sound, like someone sounding out the letter H. I opened my eyes with a start and looked around, the room was dark so I could see nothing. I thought I must have imagined or dreamt it, since I was so close to sleep, so I ignored it.

Perhaps a month later, I was laying in bed at night thinking about a job offer I’d had on the Island. I was wide awake, but laying with my eyes closed, just thinking. The same thing happened – loud and unmistakable. I got up and turned on the lights to look around the rooms. Nothing. This happened to me about 5 times in the 6 months that my husband was on the Island. When he returned, it never happened again.

In the summer, 2 years ago, all of us were sitting in the yard having drinks. We were talking about alcoholism, and my mom-in-law told us that first owner of the house drank herself silly one day and drowned in the hot tub in the master bedroom. I had always wondered why my mom-in-law never filled the hot tub and enjoyed it – she stored boxes in it, which I thought was a waste.

In the duration of time we have lived in the house, a whole lot of stuff has gone missing. This is typical and much may be due to our own forgetfulness, but there are many things that can’t be explained. One is our spoons and forks. For Christmas last year, the in-laws bought us a lovely set of flatware. I’d wanted a decent casual set for a long time so it was a great gift. By May of this year, I had only 4 spoons left and 5 forks (out of 8 for each). I do have all the knives, though. We don’t take food out of the house. Never have. Our place is only 800 square feet. I’ve searched the ENTIRE house for them to no avail.

I have one more story that I will share when I have some more time.

Jenem said:
One is our spoons and forks. For Christmas last year, the in-laws bought us a lovely set of flatware. I’d wanted a decent casual set for a long time so it was a great gift. By May of this year, I had only 4 spoons left and 5 forks (out of 8 for each). I do have all the knives, though. We don’t take food out of the house. Never have. Our place is only 800 square feet. I’ve searched the ENTIRE house for them to no avail.

Not a story but a possible solution to the missing flatware. My sister noticed that same thing once. After a little investigation, she discovered that her son was accidentally throwing them away with the paper plates they were eating off of when he cleared the table.

hmm- would like to say i could use that excuse, but we have no kids. just me and the hub in our place. and i am the one who cleans up after dinner usually. both of us are at work during day. plus, we have a small garbage can and i would notice if there was a fork or spoon in there

Jenem said:
In honour of Hallowe'en, tell us your ghost story! Here's mine...

After my husband finished school about 5 years ago, we moved into the poolhouse at his parent’s home. A few months later, he took a job on Vancouver Island while I stayed behind. One night, a few weeks after he was gone, I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. Suddenly, right beside my ear, I heard a hard breath sound, like someone sounding out the letter H. I opened my eyes with a start and looked around, the room was dark so I could see nothing. I thought I must have imagined or dreamt it, since I was so close to sleep, so I ignored it.

Perhaps a month later, I was laying in bed at night thinking about a job offer I’d had on the Island. I was wide awake, but laying with my eyes closed, just thinking. The same thing happened – loud and unmistakable. I got up and turned on the lights to look around the rooms. Nothing. This happened to me about 5 times in the 6 months that my husband was on the Island. When he returned, it never happened again.

In the summer, 2 years ago, all of us were sitting in the yard having drinks. We were talking about alcoholism, and my mom-in-law told us that first owner of the house drank herself silly one day and drowned in the hot tub in the master bedroom. I had always wondered why my mom-in-law never filled the hot tub and enjoyed it – she stored boxes in it, which I thought was a waste.

In the duration of time we have lived in the house, a whole lot of stuff has gone missing. This is typical and much may be due to our own forgetfulness, but there are many things that can’t be explained. One is our spoons and forks. For Christmas last year, the in-laws bought us a lovely set of flatware. I’d wanted a decent casual set for a long time so it was a great gift. By May of this year, I had only 4 spoons left and 5 forks (out of 8 for each). I do have all the knives, though. We don’t take food out of the house. Never have. Our place is only 800 square feet. I’ve searched the ENTIRE house for them to no avail.

That's spooky :)

Ok, here's mine.

A friend of mine had shadow creatures in her home. They were human shaped and just like a shadow. Some of them were dark and some of them were light. TSome of them are very tall and some of them short. they would walk the hallway, mostly, as if going from some place to another.

predictably, many people didn't believe her! But one by one they too saw them. Her husband, her brother, her mother, her father. In the end, everybody saw them.

She saw them often. It was almost like they were comming and going somewhere. If she saw them, she would sometimes rush out just in time to see them vanish around a corner, into a room or sometimes into a wall. It seemed to her like they had some bussiness and that they were passing though.

Her brother was the biggest unbeliever of them all. Until one day him and his girlfriend where visiting. Everbody was in the main room watchig TV and her brother went to the kitchen to get some water. He came back to the main room with a very pale face and asking if anybody had been out of the room? They all said no. He admited that he saw a very tall dark shape move quickly across the doorway! After seeing them for himself. He came to believe it too.

I also personally saw them. I was visiting her and in the spare bedroom. I was laying there trying to get to sleep one dark night. The door to the room had glass panels on it. Though the glass panels I saw the distinct shape of a tall human figure move slowly across the glass. I got out of bed and looked into the hall. It was empty. My friend bedroom door was at the end of the hall ( open ) and I could hear the sounds of sleeping comming from inside and the dog in the doorway. So, I saw them myself :)

The strange thing is. All this started after she made a door in the wall of one room. She made a frame out of wood and painted the inside of it black. From that moment on they started to appear, almost as if she had made a door to some other place.

What are they? Ghosts? People from other dimensions? I do not know. Only that they do exist. I have seen them.

Here is one I told a friend of mine at work - A girl friend, Madeline, and I used to play in a woods near her home. One day we were walking down this dirt road and heard this loud buzzing sound. We just continued on our way, not thinking it important.

That evening police cars were in the park, and parents gathered around. We talked to one of the boys, Greg, coming out of the park, and he was scared and in tears (this guy was one of the tough boys in school). He told us that he had seen a 7' high shadow beside one of the trees. It was large and it was black, and I believe he said it had red eyes, and it made a strange sound. When the police finally stopped their search, they told the parents there was evidence something was down there, but it was gone now.

My friend at work just stared at me, and asked if I had read the Mothman Prophecies. I told her no, and she said I might find it interesting. So I read it - Could it have been the mothman Greg saw??????? It was the same time period that the events were going on in West Virginia, and I was raised in Maryland.

Wow!!! These stories you've told are great!!!! :eek:

Mine is chintzy compared, but I'll never forget it. I was 13 years old, and in the basement in the back of the house reading "The Exorcist". It was a hot summer's evening and a storm came up out of nowhere.
Well, during an especially descriptive part happening to the young girl by the demon, an enormous thunder clap occured and the lights went OUT......
Then another roaring BOOOOOOOOMMMMMM
I slammed into a wall first, since it was pitch black, but ran up the stairs as fast as my young legs could carry me..... :p

Those are super SPOOKY stories!

Here’s my other story:

In early September of this year, my husband and I went with my sister and her family to their friend’s cabin on a lake up the coast. Their friend, Mike, is an acquaintance of ours so he invited us along. The cabin had been built by Mike’s dad about 30 years ago and his family has always spent a lot of time there. It was my first time there, but my sister and her husband had been there a few times before.

About one month before we went up, Mike’s dad passed away peacefully after a heart attack put him in a coma. The weekend before we went, Mike brought his Dad’s ashes up to the cabin and they were still in the container at the cabin when we were there.

The second night we were there, Mike and my husband went to another cabin for a party, while my sister, her husband and I sat on the balcony playing a game. We were just talking and having some wine, but not drunk or anything. It was about 1:00am and very dark and quiet. All of a sudden, the radio sitting on the table near the door went on. It went back off about 30 seconds later. It scared the hell out of us because it was so quiet for so long (so we jumped at the sudden noise) and then it struck us that it went on by itself. Which really made us think “WTH???” So my sister went over to check the radio and it wasn’t even plugged in! So she checked the batteries and there was some in there. She checked the ON switch but it was OFF. I made her check the ON switch twice and she said it was definitely OFF.

When Mike got back we told him what happened and he smiled and said he hoped it was his dad. His dad was a wonderful man and loved the cabin very much.

*I feel like I'm at a slumber party*
:)

I liked your story. It was nice, did not seem scary to me. It's nice to think it was his dad :)

Ok, I have another too :)

The house that I grew up in was haunted.

There are many stories about this but I will try to sum it up quickly :)

Everybody ALWAYS felt unease in that house. As if there was something there. When me and my sister were kids my parents always told us that those noises we heard were just the house settling down and so on... but later they admitted that they too found it spooky.

Some things that happened there :)

1) We had cats as pets. They ALWAYS stared at a single point high up and would sit there watching it as if there was something there. Babies would also do the same.

2) At night it was SCARY AS HELL to go out of your bedroom to use the toilet or go downstairs for water. You always felt as if you were being watched.

Later, when we were talking about it, many years later, my mother said that she always felt as if something was right behind us and watching her when she walked up the stairs at night time. Now, we never told her that me and my sis felt that way too so we know it was not just a case of us planting it in her mind. At the time, we both felt it too.

3) Late at night we would hear footsteps walking up the stairs. We would also hear groans and things going bump. As I said, my parents at the time said it was just noises the house made. But later they admitted they didnt think so.

4) The radio we had in the kitchen would just turn on by itself at around 4am in the morning. It was not set to alarm or anything like that. My mom would go down and turn it off. Again, the radio would turn on 10 mins later. This would happen often.

5) My mother was sitting in the main room. We had a serving hatch you use to pass food from the kitchen. My mother was sitting there watching tv and she saw something in the kitchen. She thought it was my dad but when she went into the kitchen there was nobody there. My dad had been upstairs the whole time.

6) One night, I was laying in bed. The door to my room opened very slowly. Normally I would have called out. This time, I just stayed very quiet and watched the door. I sensed this was something different. It stayed open for some minutes and I was almost too scared to breath. Then slowly, the door closed. I did not sleep for a long time lol Later, I asked if anybody had opened my door that night and they said of course not, why woudl they?

7) Last major thing and probably the strangest. I still say I was awake but my parents say I must have been dreaming. I was laying in bed. I must have been about 9 years old. I was SUPPOSED to be sleepoing but I had my torch and a book under the covers. I heard a noise. Thinking it was my parents checking up on me I turned off the torch and took my head out of the bed covers. A few moments passed and I THINK I saw SOMETHING in the corner of the room. I don't know what. I did not have time to think about it as my bed started to shake back and forth very violently!!!!! I got up SCREAMING my head off and crying my eyes out. Ran downstairs almost hysterical and told my parents what had happened. Of course they said I was having a bad dream but I would not sleep in that room that night.

I have the matches and kindling... here we go!

Yeah, SillyWabbit, that story is a nice one and not so scary. I almost didn't put the last paragraph in it just to keep it scary.

That house you lived in sounds terrible! I don't know that I could have stayed there another night after having the bed go nuts like that! I lived in a similar kind of house but didn't mention it earlier because there is not really any major story. Only two events happened to me there (other things my sis and mom relate to me are fuzzy now):

The bottom floor of our house had cement floors (it was like a basement, but above ground). I was walking downstairs to get something and when I reached the bottom of the stairs I saw a large aluminum can of cinnamon that was left on the floor. It was empty and had been sitting there for sometime, neglected. As I approached the can it started rolling back and forth. It's path was probably 3 feet long and it travelled back and forth slowly about 5 times before I got super freaked out and ran upstairs to my mom.

Another time, my sister and I were having a sleepover with a friend of ours. Our bedroom was upstairs down the hall. We were sitting in the dark talking while in our sleeping bags, and suddenly the room lit up like a flash. Like someone had put off a flash bulb in the room. It happened once and then again about 15 seconds later. We ran in hysterics downstairs to tell my mom.
We were on the 3rd floor of the house and it was summer, so the weather was clear. It was odd.

But I've had flash occurances recently too, but that's a whole other thread.

Also, once my sister ran screaming downstairs one night because she swore she saw a clown at the bedroom door. She says to this day she wasn't sleeping yet.

Jenem said:
Those are super SPOOKY stories!

Here’s my other story:

In early September of this year, my husband and I went with my sister and her family to their friend’s cabin on a lake up the coast. Their friend, Mike, is an acquaintance of ours so he invited us along. The cabin had been built by Mike’s dad about 30 years ago and his family has always spent a lot of time there. It was my first time there, but my sister and her husband had been there a few times before.

About one month before we went up, Mike’s dad passed away peacefully after a heart attack put him in a coma. The weekend before we went, Mike brought his Dad’s ashes up to the cabin and they were still in the container at the cabin when we were there.

The second night we were there, Mike and my husband went to another cabin for a party, while my sister, her husband and I sat on the balcony playing a game. We were just talking and having some wine, but not drunk or anything. It was about 1:00am and very dark and quiet. All of a sudden, the radio sitting on the table near the door went on. It went back off about 30 seconds later. It scared the hell out of us because it was so quiet for so long (so we jumped at the sudden noise) and then it struck us that it went on by itself. Which really made us think “WTH???” So my sister went over to check the radio and it wasn’t even plugged in! So she checked the batteries and there was some in there. She checked the ON switch but it was OFF. I made her check the ON switch twice and she said it was definitely OFF.

When Mike got back we told him what happened and he smiled and said he hoped it was his dad. His dad was a wonderful man and loved the cabin very much.

*I feel like I'm at a slumber party*
:)

wow, that is super cool! why ghosts never come to me? :confused: :mad:

see, here's the problem I have with this: I don't pretend to know what is possible and what is impossible, but no one freakin' believed me way back when I said that vernon turner defeated six black belts blind-folded and with one finger without ever having taken a martial arts class in his life. wabbit went into such a tiff, but now he says he grew up in a haunted house. that's great.

kay, let's have a try with this one:
think it's about 2 years ago. In this time i was reading everything by H.P. Lovecraft i could find. i would start reading in the mornings and not stop till falling asleep. but one time, something strange happened. it was getting dark and i read this story about a musician, exploring the world of the typical Lovecraft-monsters through a window, which sometimes would turn into a gateway to another dimension. the story ended up with a fight against a monster, which came through... out of the fight resulted a power blackout in the little village.
it was a really good story, but as i looked up to my alarm clock to check the time...i saw it blinking. the power had gone out for a moment. i said to myself, that it was just coincidence, but still i had a strange feeling!

Ok, this is still my best ghost story...

My mother died when I was four. She and my father were riding on their motorcycle (how 60s!) when they were hit by a drunk driver. My father was severely injured; my mother died instantly. It was January 1968.

My mother, say the people who remember her more than I do, had a charisma, a sort of movie star quality. When she was dressed up for going out, no one could take their eyes off of her. I can recall watching her getting ready on such occasions, big plastic rollers in her hair, wearing one of those heavy-duty girdles with the metal and plastic clips along the bottom to fasten her stockings to, and all that 60s eyeliner that had to be just right. But as she and my father would walk out of the door, she would be transformed, especially when she wore her fanciest blue dress with the glittery, sparkling blue dress sandals that matched it. I had the most beautiful Mommy in the world, I was certain.

I remember being told of the accident and attending the funeral and crying because everyone else cried, but the reality that mother was gone and not coming back, I'm not sure I understood that. As weeks passed, in my young mind I think I began to believe that one's Mommy dying was something that just happened, like the mumps or getting a polio vaccine -- it would happen to everyone eventually -- I didn't realize how different it would make me then, and for the rest of the my life.

One night a bright light from the hallway woke me from my sleep. A blinding brilliant light, pouring through the half-opened doorway to the bedroom where my sister and I slept. The light was pure and intense, but it didn't hurt my eyes to look into it. At first, I was annoyed because this light was keeping me awake, but then I became fascinated by it. I pulled the covers down and stepped quietly from my bed, padded over to the doorway for a closer look. I could see nothing but this light, which wasn't in the least frightening, until I looked down at the floor and there I saw Mom's sparkly, glittery, very favorite dress sandals. I understood the light was mother and she was simply checking on me and my sister, just as she had in life when returning from a night out, making sure we were asleep and not still up talking to each other, which we were prone to do. I went back to bed, went to sleep, and didn't tell anyone about what happened for years and years.

I finally told the story to someone very special a few years back, and then mentioned it to my sister in passing. She told me she remembered that night very distinctly. After I went back to sleep, she said she kept staring at the light from her bed -- angry at it because she was angry at Mom for dying. Then she felt the slightest pressure on her lips, like Mom was pressing a finger to them, as if to say "hush, calm yourself child, all will be well." She had never told anyone either.

Many times over the years, still living in the house I grew up in, I've felt my mother's presence, and occasionally glimpsed her from the corner of my eye. She stills checks on me, and now, I think she checks on my daughter, too.

Irene Wilde

Back