• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld-your fav book

nick452

When my friend first told me about terry pratchett i had no i idea who she was talking about :confused: .When she raved to me about how brilliant his books were i just shrugged until i saw her reading 'the last continent' one day.On the cover i noted a magician on the back of a kangaroo now this in itself i found completely strange and that's how i found myself reading my very first discworld novel.I now too have seen the light and will be the first to testify to the brilliance of pratchett.His sense of humour is very unique and he pulls you right into his world with his imagination.I know it so well that ank morpork may as well be a real city.My fav discworld novels is 'the fifth elephant' and anything featuring the nightwatch, to tell you the truth i love all his books i think the man is a genius.So how did you come discover pratchett and what's your fav discworld novel?

I discovered Pratchett through SFX magazine! They gave out a little freebie booklet that had a chapter of Mort in. I read it, laughed out loud (a lot!) and knew I had to buy the book, which I did and was instantly hooked. I then bought the rest of the Discworld series, starting at the beginning.

I don't think I could choose one favourite, but I really like the City Watch ones and Interesting Times. For some reason, the ones featuring Rincewind are probably my least favourite, though they are still excellent! :)

Everyone seems to either love Pratchett or hate him. Wolf, for instance, would burn everything he's written and then do what it takes to not make him ever write again.

I think he's pretty cool, but I've only read a couple. Unfortunately, the library isn't coming through for me on this one and it's too daunting to buy them all.

Ashlea said:
Everyone seems to either love Pratchett or hate him. Wolf, for instance, would burn everything he's written and then do what it takes to not make him ever write again.
Wolf sounds like a fine individual. :D

Pratchett is VASTLY overarrated! He is OK, simply, and nothing more. I did laugh at the first hundred million books but he should stop now. REALLY. He is just a terrible hack that is churning out the same book and tired jokes with the same tired characters over and over again. If he writes something other than discworld I would probably be interested but until then...

While I am ranting. All tosh that he is some kinda genius and his books are ever so deep.

Riiiiiiiiight.

End of rant :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

Despite being a fan, I certainly wouldn't say his books are deep, but I love his humour, especially the satire. :)

I wouldn't call Discworld deep by any means. I just think they're quite funny.
Although I've only actually read 3 of them so far...

I find Pratchett to be amusing. My favorites are the City Watch and the Witches, but its hard to pick just one. I'm with Halo in that the ones featuring Rincewind are my least favorites.

Halo said:
:eek: Our time together was worth every penny! :D
I try ;)

Halo, I wanted to ask you if you've read Monstrous Regiment, and what you thought of it, if you've read it. I was unimpressed. I think he took things a bit far, and I wasn't as amused with that one as some of his others.

Hi! :)
Unfortunately I haven't read Monstrous Regiment yet, as I (usually) only buy books in paperback! I'm getting sick of waiting, though. In general, I haven't enjoyed Pratchett's later books as much as his earlier ones - I wasn't keen on The Truth or Thief of Time, though I did enjoy Nightwatch. I've actually bought The Wee Free Men, but I'm getting my job interview over with before I start it! :)

I agree on preferring his earlier ones, though I did enjoy The Truth, but I have never been a big fan of the media, so I found the book to be quite amusing. I agree on Thief of Time - I didn't enjoy that one at all.

I got Monstrous Regiment as a Christmas gift, normally I wait for paperbacks, as well. I would wait for the paperback for that one, if I were you. Though maybe you'll like it more than I did.

The Truth
Hogfather
Lords And Ladies
Thief Of Time

most of the ones with Rincewind, Death, The Watch, the witches

VTChEwbecca said:
Halo, I wanted to ask you if you've read Monstrous Regiment, and what you thought of it, if you've read it. I was unimpressed. I think he took things a bit far, and I wasn't as amused with that one as some of his others.

Monstrous Regiment started off well, and I loved the vampire's 'Nam hallucinations, but he definitely took it too far-(SPOILER)Jackrum being a woman was simply stupid(/SPOILER). Other than that, several of the jokes were recycled from other titles, which made it a slightly disappointing addition.

Nonetheless I love the Discworld books, they certainly aren't 'deep' or 'thought-provoking,' but they are, for the most part, very, very funny! His best period was probably post-Eric, pre-Thief of Time, once he'd shaped the world but still had plenty of ideas to trawl through. Personal favourites would be the Watch series, Lords and Ladies and Interesting Times, though Pratchett's best book is 'Good Omens,' written with Neil Gaiman-this title perhaps is actually quite, as some term it, 'deep,' but is still very funny indeed.

I agree with you about Monstrous Regiment...
All of the army being women was seriously over the top, and I thought Jacko should've definitely been a male.
. I agree about the recycled jokes, I was rather disappointed in the book.

I also find Pratchett's best period to be post-Eric and pre-Thief of Time. I loved the entire Watch series and the Witch series. However, I think Guards! Guards! is amusing, which falls before Eric. I did enjoy Nightwatch, which is rather more dark than his previous works. Good Omens with Gaiman was definitely an interesting read, though I'm not sure I prefer it over the books Pratchett wrote solo, because they're rather different.

VTChEwbecca said:
I also find Pratchett's best period to be post-Eric and pre-Thief of Time. I loved the entire Watch series and the Witch series. However, I think Guards! Guards! is amusing, which falls before Eric. I did enjoy Nightwatch, which is rather more dark than his previous works. Good Omens with Gaiman was definitely an interesting read, though I'm not sure I prefer it over the books Pratchett wrote solo, because they're rather different.

Ah, a good point-I forgot that Guards, Guards was pre-Eric as my mother's currently reading it and thus it is not on the shelf containing all the Pratchett books in order. I really enjoyed Night Watch as well, the darker slant creating a whole new type of Discworld, making it seem fresher than most of the newer ones.

So I'm not the only one with the books on my bookshelf in order. Whew! I thought that I might be a tad bit obsessive.

Back