• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The BEST American accent

I'm partial to southern accents. My mom was from Georgia and my dad was from Oklahoma, so hearing southern English, is comforting to me. Aside from the way southerner slant their vowels, I love the way they use different words than other parts of the globe..for example the word "satisfied. We most of the planet might say, "I'm sure this is right." Many southerners would say, " I'm satisfied, this is right."
And I love to read southern writers who can make me hear actual southern voices delivering that writer's words..When I read All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg, I'm satisfied I could hear my great aunt's voice in my head..even though she's been gone for years.
Actually all the voices ya'll have mentioned are precious, and thank God for the variety!

I love Southern accents. Mainly because my father is from south Georgia and used to spend all my summers in Virginia, I just love the way it sounds.

Around where I live though it is nothing but spanish accents! It is a bit like living in a foriegn country while still in states.

Scottishduffy said:
I love Southern accents. Mainly because my father is from south Georgia and used to spend all my summers in Virginia, I just love the way it sounds.

Around where I live though it is nothing but spanish accents! It is a bit like living in a foriegn country while still in states.

My mom was from Moultrie Georgia, where was your dad from? I was talking to my allergist about a year ago or so,and mentioned something about my mom being from GA, and he perked up and asked which town, and when I told him, he started laughing cause his dad was from there too.

My father grew up in Moultrie actually. He refers to it as the 'armpit of the south', but in a loving way. I believe he also spent part of his childhood in Macon as well. Ya know, Moultrie must be bigger than I thought since I have already met several people from that town.

Scottishduffy said:
My father grew up in Moultrie actually. He refers to it as the 'armpit of the south', but in a loving way. I believe he also spent part of his childhood in Macon as well. Ya know, Moultrie must be bigger than I thought since I have already met several people from that town.

:cool: That's amazing! What's your dad's name?? My mom's maiden name was Gay, and we are related to the: Greens, Suttons, Roberts, and Crosbys, and heaven knows who else. My dr's name is Strickland.. It really IS a small world ;0)

Since no one else is likely to do so, I'll put in a vote for the Pennsylvania Dutch accent. It' s hard to describe, but "garage", for instance, comes soundng like "crotch" and "j"s often sound something like "ch"s.
I grew up speaking "Pennsyl-tucky", but the "Dutch" is wearing off on me some.

The only one I like is the one used in 1950's to 60's films about Italian Americans, I think they lived in the Bronx.

I wish I could type it, maybe one of you kind people could type it for me. Reading this thread has made me want to hear it again.

I hate southern drawls.

I love Southern Irish accents.

jaybe said:
...the Bronx.

I wish I could type it, maybe one of you kind people could type it for me. Reading this thread has made me want to hear it again.

da bronks axent? fugetaboutit! just watch Scorsese's Raging Bull--it's perfection.

I don't like drawls, but I do like almost any city accents. They have so much character! I don't have any accent, sadly, other than "General American English" :(

veggiedog said:
I don't have any accent, sadly, other than "General American English" :(

don't feel left out, i was told that's called a "Cincinnati Accent" in the radio/broadcast biz. meaning, you have no specific regional/ethnic twang. i always think of the pilot announcements in an airplane--very straightforward and believable.

Kookamoor said:
I love the (not sure how to spell it, pronounced skow-ser) Scoucer accent. Just don't stand too close to the speaker ;) The Welsh accent is also gorgeous. The Scottish accent is fun, but working in Aberdeen was like trying to overcome a language barrier. We had one fellow from Perth in the company who was nigh-on completely incomprehensible. I needed a translator for him!

I agree, Scousers and the Welsh have the best accent. I honestly can't differentiate between the American accents though..

veggiedog said:
I don't have any accent, sadly, other than "General American English" :(

How would you know though? Most people think they have no accent. I'm sure if I heard you say something, I would pick up on the accent.

DontGoAway17 said:
How would you know though? Most people think they have no accent. I'm sure if I heard you say something, I would pick up on the accent.

What you say is true. But the way people talk around where I live (southeast Michigan) don't fit into the general mold of "accent". We have some of our own slang, but we don't have any variation in pronounciation from a CNN news anchor. My pronounciation is considered common throughout much of the United States. But if I had to place an accent myself it would probably be the Great Lakes accent.

Of course, to compared other English-speaking nations (Canada, UK, Australia, etc.) I would have an American accent, but not really any specific kind other than just plain 'American'.

veggiedog said:
What you say is true. But the way people talk around where I live (southeast Michigan) don't fit into the general mold of "accent". We have some of our own slang, but we don't have any variation in pronounciation from a CNN news anchor. My pronounciation is considered common throughout much of the United States. But if I had to place an accent myself it would probably be the Great Lakes accent.

Of course, to compared other English-speaking nations (Canada, UK, Australia, etc.) I would have an American accent, but not really any specific kind other than just plain 'American'.

I'd have to agree, Great Lakes accent would be a good way to describe.

Back