• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The BEST American accent

I still say Y'all, fixin to, necked instead of naked, and there's a few more that people catch me on from time to time. I plan on moving back to south as soon as possible and picking up my accent again.

My mom was born and raised in the Greenville/Spartenburg area of South Carolina. I love that accent, and miss it terribly.

I guess I understand a bit of where your mom was coming from, but I don't have to like it... ;)

The Texan accent really makes me angry. Wonder why.

My favorite British accents are Edinburgh Scot and Newcastle Geordie.

novella said:
My favorite British accents are Edinburgh Scot and Newcastle Geordie.
I love the (not sure how to spell it, pronounced skow-ser) Scoucer accent. Just don't stand too close to the speaker ;) The Welsh accent is also gorgeous. The Scottish accent is fun, but working in Aberdeen was like trying to overcome a language barrier. We had one fellow from Perth in the company who was nigh-on completely incomprehensible. I needed a translator for him!

Motokid said:
oh come on...the Long Island New York, yenta (My Cousin Vinnie movie, the hot chick who played the girl friend....)accent....has to be top 2 right along-side the Boston, Pahk tha cah in Hahvahd Yahd....

i hear ya....i lived in new york for a year, then moved to new england.....it's funny how americans make fun of canadian accents

Yes, the midwest is widely known as the *best*(i.e.-no regional accent) area of the U.S. This is a major reason why a lot of telemarketing firms have located here, though some companies have relocated elsewhere trading in perfect english for lower wages. With that being said, I'd have to say that I prefer the east coast "Jersey" accent. Think Sylvester Stallone speaking without marbles in his mouth. :D

If entertainment is what you are looking for, talk to a native Baltimorian.

I think it is impossible to accurately phoneticize, but it kind of sounds like a drunk Kennedy with mashed potatoes in his mouth.

(Edit: I reread this and realized I was being redundant. Could have just said "Kennedy")

MonkeyCatcher said:
The Bowaston accent hands-down :D

Although Boston accents are great, I'm gonna have to say mine is better. I grew up in SE Massachusetts, right on the Rhode Island line. Our accent is a cross between Boston and NYC (because of the steam trade routes). It's SOOO much bedda! We drop all the Rs like Bostonians do, but put a little more attitude into it like New Yorkers. Plus we don't say stupid shit like Cuber.

sirmyk said:
This post is aimed at the Canadian members of this forum. What do you think of the North Dakota accent? It seems like a teaspoon of Maine, a dash of somewhere else, and two parts Canada... Example: the movie Fargo.

well there is no accent similar in canada, i quote margie all the time. kook is right, the absolute best accent is from newfoundland. gold!!!

jenngorham said:
kook is right, the absolute best accent is from newfoundland. gold!!!

i know people from newfoundland but never noticed anything special about the accent, must pay attention next time

Back