• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Cons of Owning a Kindle/Nook

USBundles

kickbox
I'd like to hear everyone's take on the Nook/Kindle. I refuse to get one because I love physically holding, sharing, writing in, and bending my book's pages. I would miss the smell of a good, new book! What about libraries?! Also you can technically do everything with a Nook/Kindle that you can with a book, there is a mental barrier that I have yet to cross. Thoughts? I can't get excited about e-readers!

I am kind of the same way. There is something refreshing about holding a book versus an ereader.
I bought my wife a Nook and she loves it. She takes it everywhere. It was pretty handy on vacation she just took that and I took like two paperbacks. So my reading material took up more room in the suitcase then her reading material.
She still has me beat with all the other things (clothes, shoes, cosmetics, etc.) she packs.

i have a kindle, but i pretty much only buy physical copies of books.

The best thing about the kindle is that you can get any book for free if the copy rights are expired. The books that fall into this category are vast. You can get any book pre 1940 for free pretty much. So, instead of paying 8-9 bucks for some charles dickens, you can get all his books for free either on amazon or on other ebook sites.

If the books don't fall into that category, I just buy the regular versions from amazon/barnes and nobles/the used book store, because I'd rather have them on my book shelf, so I can validate myself when guests come over. haha.

reading with a kindle can be nice though, i wish that when you bought a hard copy of a book, it came with a kindle version too.

I'd like to hear everyone's take on the Nook/Kindle. I refuse to get one because I love physically holding, sharing, writing in, and bending my book's pages. I would miss the smell of a good, new book! What about libraries?! Also you can technically do everything with a Nook/Kindle that you can with a book, there is a mental barrier that I have yet to cross. Thoughts? I can't get excited about e-readers!

Meh. I said about the same thing last year. But then I played with one.

I still by deadtree books though.

I was/am kind of similar. I bought a Kindle to try and help reduce the number of books that I have. The shelves are long past double-stacked, and with books in storage/stacked on the floor, I needed to make some effort to reducing their physical footprint in my home.

Thing is, though I like the Kindle, I prefer physical copies of books and still find myself buying these over digital copies.

Where the Kindle wins is for the free classical books - mostly - and for small press titles that I read, for which ebooks are heavily discounted (as the companies normally take a big hit on printing and distribution costs which can heavily impede profits on physical copies). When I say mostly for classical books - quite often I want versions of certain classical books with quality annotations/essays attached/certain translations. So, for example, I needed a copy of The Iliad the other day. Whilst there were a number of free versions available, none matched the required version of translation I required, so I ended up paying £5 for a Penguin version. Also, the attached essays/annotations that often accompany publishing house versions almost pay for themselves.

So, yes, the Kindle rocks. It's nice to read and turn-pages one handed, great for holidays, throwaway pulps/small press titles and certain classics. But I am still buying deadtree books, and will continue to do so until they stop publishing them.

Hi

Although I read a lot from the Kindle, I still pick up a hardcopy book (from my home bookshelf) and read. I don't have any specific preference, but with the kindle, you can carry 'books' outdoor with just one gadget.

I have written many pros, so here's the cons:

1. Let's say I have spent hours reading a novel. Now, I want to access the Internet to view some online color pictures or watch you tube videos. Obviously, I can't because Kindle is non-LCD/LED and in b & w.

2. I wish (sometimes) it is touchscreen. On more than one occasion, I handed the kindle to a first-time user and the first thing he did was to swap the screen with his fingers. That said, if it is touchscreen, it would probably be backlit LED, which would eliminate the non-glossy advantage

3. When you download many many books, the system seems to slow down a little.

Anyway, despite what I have written above, I am still a KINDLE lover, diehard actually.

2. I wish (sometimes) it is touchscreen. On more than one occasion, I handed the kindle to a first-time user and the first thing he did was to swap the screen with his fingers. That said, if it is touchscreen, it would probably be backlit LED, which would eliminate the non-glossy advantage

Actually, there are plenty of e-ink readers with touchscreens - the Nook and the Sony Reader, for instance.

Blindsided- Love what you said about having the books on your shelves to validate yourself! Haha! How could I forget one of the best parts of owning, sharing, and discussing books with friends and guests? Nothing like a solid book collection to build rapport when you have a dinner party!

The only thing that I would say digital technology can't yet do very well -- on any device -- is riffle through pages rapidly while I scan for a particular page that I remember I have read and want to find.
Apart from that, I read paper and Kindle interchangably. (And Kindle books are frequently way cheaper!)

Back