• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The curse of the Ottomen

third man girl

Who knows the name for a wooden chest, placed at the bottom of a bed, for storing blankets, etc? Is it an ottoman? (Chambers currently arguing with Encarta).

Third Man Girl

I thought an ottoman was the matching stool for your feet that goes with the armchair. I just call those blanket chests or cedar chests.

So what claim is Encarta making exactly?

Merriam Webster agrees with Chambers, so if it comes to a fight I'm sure we can take him.

Litany said:
So what claim is Encarta making exactly?

ottoman [ótt?m?n] (plural ottomans) noun

1. long seat: an upholstered sofa that has no arms and is usually backless
2. stool for feet: a low upholstered stool used for resting the feet or as a seat
3. heavy fabric: a heavy fabric made of silk or rayon that has a corded texture and is used to make coats and trimmings

Nothing that suggests storage :(

Third Man Girl

Well, my understanding of ottoman is an ornate chest type thing that doubles up as a stool for the end of your bed. But I've never been to Turkey so maybe I'm mistaken.

I've just looked it up in a few dictionaries and thesauruses and in none of these did it mention that it was a chest. :confused:

If enough people use a word incorrectly and for long enough, the dictionary people will always cave under the pressure. :D

Weaklings.

Dictionary.com is saying the exact same thin as Encarta, TMG. No help there.

Cheers, Martin :D

Chambers does say . . . a low stuffed seat, without a back, sometimes in the form of a chest.

I guess I'll have to rearrange the furniture, or store the bodies elsewhere. :p JOKE!

Third Man Girl

Would that be the German tree feller? (cringe)

Hey, that reminds me. What's happened to Phil_T of late? Martin, where have you hidden him?

Third Man Girl

Definitely Ottoman. I'm surprised none of those dictionary definitions made reference to the Ottoman empire? :eek:

Mile-O-Phile said:
Definitely Ottoman. I'm surprised none of those dictionary definitions made reference to the Ottoman empire? :eek:

Well, I pulled a small part of the quote out of the bigger part. I believe I did that with you before, Mile-O, and got a smack for it. :D

Chambers also harped on about people sitting back to back tied up with silk cord. I got scared and left at that point.

Oh, hang on . . .

Chambers:

a low stuffed seat, without a back, sometimes in the form of a chest; a cushioned seat for several people sitting with their backs to one another; a variety of corded silk.

Also a lot of stuff about the Turkish empire. But, I just want to know where to store 'things' in my character's bedroom !!!!! :mad: :D

Third Man Girl

Back