• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Dead Zone? how is it?

Big Wig

Hello all, new member here - 1st post.

I have always loved to read but it's been years since I've had time. A few years back I joined Audible and listened to a good many audio books but it really started distracting me from my work (I work at home) so I gave it up. I want to start making the time to read again (and I want my daughter to see this!) and I've just been given a stack of Stephen King books. I grabbed The Dead Zone and put it next to my chair in hopes that I will pick it up tonight ;)

Anyway... is this a good one? I am not a speed read and once I start a book, I finish it so it would be nice if it came highly recommended :D

Thanks in advance
BW

Hello all, new member here - 1st post.

I have always loved to read but it's been years since I've had time. A few years back I joined Audible and listened to a good many audio books but it really started distracting me from my work (I work at home) so I gave it up. I want to start making the time to read again (and I want my daughter to see this!) and I've just been given a stack of Stephen King books. I grabbed The Dead Zone and put it next to my chair in hopes that I will pick it up tonight ;)

Anyway... is this a good one? I am not a speed read and once I start a book, I finish it so it would be nice if it came highly recommended :D

Thanks in advance
BW

I read The Dead Zone many years ago and I loved it. Its always been one of my favourite books and one of these days I think I will give it another read.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for the reply.

I started the book tonight and I've read a few chapters. Nothing much has happened so far but I really like the characters.

It was easier than I thought to make some time for reading, I'm glad I was able to do it.

The book is kinda slow-paced from what I remember (I read it a few years ago in high school), but was still a good read regardless.

It must be nice have a work at home job, what do you do?

I've always thought it was one of King's best books (and one of the few to be turned into a truly good movie as well). It's got some of his most realistic (in as much as anything in a Stephen King novel is realistic) settings and characters; the supernatural part holds up, and at the same time it's really a moving story. It's no coincidence that the main character is called John Smith; he really is just an average guy trying to do his best in an impossibly unfair world... Something something... I'm going to have to re-read this one, aren't I?

beer good, thanks for the reply. One of his best huh? That's encouraging!

I haven't read many Stephen King books but I've liked all that I've read.

The Dreamcatcher
Bag of Bones
Salem's Lot

The first 3 books in the Dark Tower series

The Gunslinger
The Drawing of Three
The Wastelands

I also read The Talisman which he co-wrote. That was by far my favorite!

I suppose I have a long way to go if I want to consider myself a Stephen King fan, huh? ;)

I read it a while ago so I don't remember anything I liked specifically, but you picked a good one. Since you liked The Talisman, I recommend the sequel Black House. The story's more engaging (in my opinion, anyway) and if you're a Dark Tower fan you'll find several references to the series.

beer good, thanks for the reply. One of his best huh? That's encouraging!

I haven't read many Stephen King books but I've liked all that I've read.

The Dreamcatcher
Bag of Bones
Salem's Lot

The first 3 books in the Dark Tower series

The Gunslinger
The Drawing of Three
The Wastelands

I also read The Talisman which he co-wrote. That was by far my favorite!

I suppose I have a long way to go if I want to consider myself a Stephen King fan, huh? ;)

I went off King for years but read The Stand and The Green Mile recently and both were spectacularly good.

My favorites of his are: The Shining, Salem's Lot, Pet Cemetery, and Misery.

Anyone here read it?

I've seen most of the mini-series/movie, but have never read the book.

Are you talking about The Shining? Because I liked Kubrick's film version (never saw the miniseries) but couldn't really get into the novel.

Really? I thought most of his work in the 90's was strong (from what I read of it, anyway). After that, the quality really becomes uneven.

Most of King's stuff up through the 80's is pretty good, once you get into the 90's, it's hit and miss.

....and then in the 2000's it's pretty much miss....:whistling: I was a huge King fan, and would buy his books as soon as they came out, but after Duma Key, I don't think I'll bother.

Well, I finally finished it! Great book.

I'm amazed how hard it is to find the time to read with my little rugrats always bugging me :lol:

Now that my kids have noticed me reading, they are doing more reading as well... my 10 year old daughter has started Inkheart and she seems to be really enjoying it. That makes me happy!

Back