• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

Sir Oliver Tressilian sat at his ease in the lofty diningroom of the handsome house of Penarrow, which he owed to the enterprise of his father of lamented and lamentable memory and to the skill and invention of an Italian engineer named Bagnolo who had come to England half a century ago as one of the assistants of the famous Torrigiani.

The Sea-Hawk by Rafeal Sabatini

So begins, in almost fairy-tale fashion, a contemporary account of the worst natural disaster in European history-what we call the Black Death, and what the generation who lived through it called la moria grandissima: "the great mortality."

"I wrote my first software program when I was thirteen years old. It was for playing tic-tac-toe. The computer I was using was huge and cumbersome and absolutely compelling."

'The Road Ahead' by Bill Gates.

John Clark had more time in airplanes than most licensed pilots, and he knew the statistics as well as any of them,but he still didn't like the idea of crossing the ocean on a twin-engine airliner.

Rainbow Six Tom Clancy

first sentence

Currently reading "iTV" by David Rose

First sentence(s):

In a small apartment in the small coastal city of Boerdom a young man is about to go into his room. It is evening and the young man finishes his last supper, which consists of two slices of low fat bread and a carrot, and starts walking slowly to his room."

Quote: "He who lives in the asshole of the world is a fart away from eternity" from "iTV"

At time zero minus nine minutes First Officer Carlyle Deston, Chief Electronicist of the starliner Procyon, sat attentively at his board.

Subspace Explorers by E. E. 'Doc' Smith

DOES SUCH a things as "the fatal flaw," that showy dork crack running down the middle of a life, exist ourside literature?

The Secret History - Donna Tart

For a research paper, I'm reading Campaigning Online by Bruce Bimbar and Richard Davis. Not very exciting (though its somewhat interesting), but I have no time to read for fun till finals are over.

First line:
In the realm of American democracy, the year 2000 ushered in the twenty-first century with the most uncommon of presidential elections.

"One cold December day in 1996, I met up with an elderly racist leader named Pastor Richard Butler."

The Call Of The Weird - Louis Theroux

IT is my considered view that no one can invent fictional characters without first having made a lengthy study of people, just as it is impossible for anyone to speak a language that has not been properly mastered.

la dame aux camelias, alexandre dumas.

Back