• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"All the bells in Norfolk were ringing for Elizabeth, pounding the peal into Amy's head, first the treble bell screaming out like a mad woman, and then the whole agonising, jangling sob till the great bell boomed a warning that the whole discordant carillon was about to shriek out again."
The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory.
'Tis an excellent book, so far. :]

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Galaxy lies a unregarded yellow sun.

A cold December wind was blowing, and Theresa Osborne crossed her arms as she stared out over the water.
Message in a Bottle, Nicholas Sparks

The snow started to fall several hours before her labor began.

- The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Two mountain chains traverse the republic roughly from north to south, forming between them a number of valleys and plateaux.

Under The Volcano by Malcolm Lowry

Bit of a tortuous opening line... and following 50 pages!

THIS IS THE story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.
-from The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins

I really liked this one.

I was pensively penning the outline of the inkstand's circular, quivering shadow.

- The Wood Sprite from The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov.

I like what follows even better:

"In a distant room a clock struck the hour, while I, dreamer that I am, imagined someone was knocking at the door, softly at first, then louder and louder. He knocked twelve times and paused expectantly."

:)

The town of Candleton was a poisoned and irradiated ruin, but not dead; after all the centuries it still twitched with tenebrous life - trundling beetles the size of turtles, birds that looked like small, misshapen dragonlets, a few stumbling robots that passed in and out of the rotten buildings like stainless steel zombies, their joints squalling, their nuclear eyes flickering

-- Wizard and Glass - Stephen King

"Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston."

The Stand by Stephen King

Regular sleep had been impossible in the hot and windless night so typical of the hurricane season in Jamaica: the occasional slight zephyr venturing in through the window rarely had enough energy to penetrate the mosquito net and cool him.

Ramage's Prize by Dudley Pope

Back