• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Hurt Locker

dude

amehtakyakehta.files.wordpress.com_2009_10_the_hurt_locker.jpg

Has anyone seen this? One of the most intense war movies I've ever seen. Seriously edge-of-your-seat kind of stuff.

Yeah I just rented it. It was well done. I particularly like the way the sergeant (main character) is immediately pinned as an almost suicidal andrenalin junkie type and is disrespected, but as the movie progresses his men begin to look to him for support and inspiration and realize he's not really crazy, he's just "wired" differently. It takes all kinds.

I think it definitely takes a different person to do that job. "Crazy" is a little harsh, but certainly a variation of it. The ending was perfect. Sometimes the only way people like him truly feel alive is when they're that close to death.

Really good film! I was suprised to see that it has some Oscar nominations however...guess we will see if it takes home any prizes.

May I ask if anyone could explain the title to me in other words? I really would appreciate your help.

My mother tongue is German and I have problems to translate the title.

Best regards

May I ask if anyone could explain the title to me in other words? I really would appreciate your help.

My mother tongue is German and I have problems to translate the title.

Best regards

Wikipedia says:
The title is a colloquialism for being injured in an explosion, as in "they sent him to the hurt locker", or for "a place of ultimate pain". It dates back to the Vietnam War, where it was one of several phrases meaning "in trouble or at a disadvantage; in bad shape."
According to other sources, it's from this poem by Brian Turner:
Nothing but the hurt left here.
Nothing but bullets and pain
and the bled out slumping
and all the fucks and goddamns
and Jesus Christs of the wounded.
Nothing left here but the hurt.

Believe it when you see it.
Believe it when a 12-year-old
rolls a grenade into the room.
Or when a sniper punches a hole
deep into someone’s skull.
Believe it when four men
step from a taxicab in Mosul
to shower the street in brass
and fire. Open the hurt locker
and see what there is of knives
and teeth. Open the hurt locker and learn
how rough men come hunting for souls.

This is the kind of movie that you need to see for yourself. You might not like it but it won't leave you indifferent. Personally, I loved it and I think it deserves every single award it has received and then some. I'm really looking forward to Kathryn Bigelow's next movie, I'm sure she'll do something nobody is expecting.

Back