• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The most famous you've never read

I love Frankenstein, but found Bram Stoker's Dracula to be kind of a slog. Go figure...
Wow, I loved Dracula. I expected it to be campy, but boy I thought it was fantastic. It was exciting, had spills (literally) and thrills, wonderful characters (ok, two of them). And nobody sparkled. Much better than I had expected (but then I did not have any expectations at all, and I find that that's usually a plus).

Wow, I loved Dracula. I expected it to be campy, but boy I thought it was fantastic. It was exciting, had spills (literally) and thrills, wonderful characters (ok, two of them). And nobody sparkled. Much better than I had expected (but then I did not have any expectations at all, and I find that that's usually a plus).

My expectations might have been too high :) I liked the use of journal/letter entries to move the narrative but it didn't scare me and I found the characters (aside from D himself) awfully bland.

Setting is sometimes all important. What you need to do is be far too young (9) and sneak out the house at night with the book because you were a. forbidden to spend the night in the tree house by yourself and b. forbidden to read Dracula. Make sure it is a dark and windy night. Proceed to read by torchlight in a wildly swaying treehouse with creaking branches and scary noises all round.

Be VERY grateful when your parents find you 3/4's of the way through the book.

THEN it is scary, very scary!

PS this experience may be why I have never watched a horror movie for longer then 5 minutes :rofl

Setting is sometimes all important. What you need to do is be far too young (9) and sneak out the house at night with the book because you were a. forbidden to spend the night in the tree house by yourself and b. forbidden to read Dracula. Make sure it is a dark and windy night. Proceed to read by torchlight in a wildly swaying treehouse with creaking branches and scary noises all round.

Be VERY grateful when your parents find you 3/4's of the way through the book.

THEN it is scary, very scary!

Fair enough :D

Horror: Dark Tower series, House of Leaves
Sci-fi: Buncha famous Asimov books, Star Wars books
Fantasy: Colossal Game of Thrones books

Tolkien scares me. I have read the Hobbit, but when I tried to go on with the story I froze. I will have to try again soon.

oh dear :( really it isnt that intimidating - if you could read the hobbit you can read LOTR as the style isnt much different. Just more of it.

I've been told that Dark Tower isn't worth the effort; but I'll read it anyways....can't say the same about house of leaves..

tut tut...Doctor sleep sucked big time!

Back