• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Pacific

UglyFury

Anyone watching the series???? I've been watching it and find it pretty entertaining, though not as good as the Band of Brothers. The action scenes are some of the best, but I'm not really a war film buff so others may not agree. Some of the scenes seem like something out of a video game by the way they were shot. I will say, not to many notable characters...but overall its a good way to spend an hour on Sunday. Did I mention the action scenes...

Yeah,we've been watching it and agree the battle scenes are realistic,but agree too that there aren't really any stand-out characters,and we don't even know a lot of their names!

I've heard a little about those books, recently there was an article in the Atlantic about them, but I haven't had time to read the article yet. Thanks for the info.

My wife and I have been watching it and like Lenny says, enduring it. The Okinawa episode in particular was more horrific and depressing than anything in Band of Brothers. Unlike that series where you became familiar with about ten or twelve characters you only get to know about four or five very well in this one. That's too bad because by the end of a ten part series it seems like you should have a stronger connection with many characters. Still a worthy mini-series.

He's the only character who is really recognizable, maybe it’s the bug eyes or maybe its his provocative nature. I think he may just be the narrator.

He always seems like he's about five seconds from going crazy on one of his fellow soldiers, but he never does. His personality it seems is the most insulated from all the horror around them.

I don't know what his name is, so I just call him 'the dentist', since he likes to take the Japanese soldier's gold teeth.

that tooth scene definently was nasty...i liked how he warned the other guy in the last episode, kinda give him the heads up about how once you cross the line there's no going back.

I looked up 'the dentist' on IMDB and he's called Merriell Shelton played by Rami Malek,and that slow,drawl of an accent is New Orleans. He definitely stands out,tho' my wife said he's weird! :)

I thought it was a good show, not as good as Band but definitely still worth watching. I also liked all the interviews and profiles of the real people that they put up on HBO On Demand. They showed bits from an interview with the real Sledge from 1991 and a Charlie Rose interview with Leckie. Good stuff.

I thought it was a good show, not as good as Band but definitely still worth watching. I also liked all the interviews and profiles of the real people that they put up on HBO On Demand. They showed bits from an interview with the real Sledge from 1991 and a Charlie Rose interview with Leckie. Good stuff.

That's good to know, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Back