• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The purpose of historical fiction

Libra

This is an interesting essay written by Lion Feuchtwanger

Translated by John Ahouse.

This is part of it that I found interesting.

This essay, "Vom Sinn des historischen Romans," was published in 1935 in Das Neue Tage-Buch

The term "historical novel" awakens some awkward connotations nowadays. We think of the Count of Monte Christo, of Ben-Hur, of various historical films; we picture adventure, intrigue, costumes, heavy swaths of bright colors, overly theatrical language, a mixture of politics and love, and the reduction of great events to the level of petty individual emotions.

Social and political considerations do their part to discredit this class of novel even further. An author who sets about to depict events of the past that have run their course is suspected of wishing to avoid the problems of the present day, of being in other words a reactionary. From depicting the past, so goes the suspicion, it is a short step to glorifying the past. In truth, many of today's historical novels offer nothing but more or less cleverly constructed images in exaggerated colors which are intended to entertain and distract the reader from the needs of the present by singing the praises of a past that is fuller, brighter and better.

you can find the rest here:Contents List

I must admit my reaction to that article was that she'd engaged in some heavy overanalysis. I mean, I'm sure authors have different reasons for setting their novels in historical periods and I'm sure that they include some of the very worthy reasons she gives - but I also have a suspicion that some people write historical novels simply because they enjoy particular historical periods or have some connection with them.

I must admit my reaction to that article was that she'd engaged in some heavy overanalysis. I mean, I'm sure authors have different reasons for setting their novels in historical periods and I'm sure that they include some of the very worthy reasons she gives - but I also have a suspicion that some people write historical novels simply because they enjoy particular historical periods or have some connection with them.

Yes, this is just one persons essay, there are more there.I found it interesting where it says we prefer to look back than dealing with the present.

Isn't that just a re-run of the old saw about escapist literature? That we read fantasy, sci-fi, crime novels or, in this instance, historical novels, because we refuse to face up to reality here & now?

Spoilsports.

Personally, I think the best of historical fiction manages to do what historians more often than not seem to be incapable of: to convey a whiff of what life was really like at the time.

Of course, this whiff might be entirely off the mark. But then, so are many historians.

As a trained historian, I get to say these things.

Since it's all about me, the point is to entertain me!! Actually, historical fiction, with all its flaws, is still my favorite way to learn about life in times past. In a way that is engaging with characters I care about. And nobody expecting me to remember the precise date for something. And with certain time periods, to just marvel at how much things stay the same even as times have changed. Because it's still the human story and we aren't as flexible/changeable as we think we are.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't see why everybody has to have an agenda or why people want to believe everyone else has an agenda?

I like historical fiction for the entertainment value as well as learning something about the period being written about.

Personally, I think the best of historical fiction manages to do what historians more often than not seem to be incapable of: to convey a whiff of what life was really like at the time.

Escapist literature can be set in any time, including the present. I think that setting a story convincingly in a past you yourself never experienced requires more skill that telling a contemporary story. That fact that some writers do it poorly is not an argument against the attempt.

I particularly admire books like Mary Renault's novels set in ancient Greece (The Last of the Wine, The King Must Die, etc.) because they make that period real for me.

I am a huge fan of historical fiction, preferably historically accurate though about the period in which it is written. I think it has a place in literature becuase not everyone wants to read a factual history book all the time, reading historical fiction is an escapism that can transport you to another world and educate you at the same time.

This was interesting, but I have to agree that there are no end to the reasons to write or read historical fiction(especially like: it's fun!).

Back