• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Scar

Ahh right, yeah, I completely agree with you. I loved the unfinished element of the Scar. Can't wait for Iron Council, though I'm a bit annoyed that the Paperback won't be out for so long, I hate hardbacks :(

Oponn said:
Can't wait for Iron Council, though I'm a bit annoyed that the Paperback won't be out for so long, I hate hardbacks :(
Me too. And I hate how they sit on the shelf for so long and taunt you. 'Ha ha, I'm the book you want, but I'm heavy and cumbersome and overpriced, so you'll have to wait months before you can buy me, even though I'm sitting right here.' :(

Do you ever give in and just end up buying the hardback????

I have, but only a couple of times, mostly I just wait :D

I check out the hardback from the library, and then buy the paperback when it come out. :) To keep it on topic, 3/4 of the way thru the Scar and just when I think I can't be surprised any more -- *bam*! I realized I made certain connections in the story just as the characters were making them, which goes to show just how skillfully the writing was leading me along.

SillyWabbit said:
Do you ever give in and just end up buying the hardback????
Given up and bought those horrible hardback sized paperbacks. Hate 'em. But as soon as they appear in the shop I know I've got a bloody long wait otherwise. :mad:

Finished! Felt the ending wasn't perfect but acceptable.

I'm amazed by the level of detail in the book, but also that it held my interest so well when the main character was so utterly foreign to me.

You're an exile with no friends, you're on the coolest city on earth, it has many nooks to explore, cultures to interact with, and a kickass library. And all you can think about is how pissed you are that you can't go back to your city which, even you admit, is degenerate and opportunist?

Shamelessly lifted from another forum...

China Mieville will be signing copies of his new book Iron Council at the Forbidden Planet megastore in Shaftesbury Avenue. 2nd Oct between 1 and 2 pm.

I think I might be toddling along. I missed the Robert Rankin signing as the poxy thing was mid-week, but on the 2nd I should be in London anyway for a sciency exhibition so I can nip out at lunch time. Hurrah!

If you miss him then, he will also be at Borders Oxford Street, London, the night of Oct. 11th for Science Fiction night.
Joining him will be Susanna Clarke, author of "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell"

RaVeN

Just finished this. I'd agree with pretty much everything Ashlea said. The first two thirds I really liked, and couldn't wait to get back to the book, but the ending was a bit meh.

Ashlea said:
I realized I made certain connections in the story just as the characters were making them, which goes to show just how skillfully the writing was leading me along.

Ahhh see, I thought that me not realising stuff was me just being incredibly slow. But it just means it was well written. Hurrah!

What did you think of it?

I agree with many and think it's the least enjoyable of the 3 Bas-Lag novels, however that said that doesn't imply it's not a superior novel (Won the Arthur C. Clarke Award 2 weeks ago for Best Novel). Iron Council represent a vast change for Mieville thematically IMHO, as althoguh the prior 2 novels were defintely political in nature, Iron Council focueses on it more. A lot of the audacious imaginative elements are toned down (but again still much more present than the majority of other books).

What makes Iron Council interesting on rereads is that I started agreeing with many of the more respectable critics on my third read (many of which consider it his best work which is a huge statement considering how Perdido Street Station is considered to be in a true sense a modern classic of the genre). Iron Council represents Mieville's most focused work, his broad creativity strokes are less apparent (which I'm not sure if I like or dislike, I always thougth that what sets Mieville apart, creativity/imagination, and prose). I did an initial review HERE, whcih was one of my first reviews (and admittedly it shows), and although I still firmly stand by my thougth (as my grades for Perdido and The Scar would indicate) that is was perhaps the least entertaining of the 3, I may have underated Iron Council slightly, a notion that I believe is true after rereading the novel.

I didn't like Perdido Street Station all that much, but had heard The Scar was much better... it wasn't. I found it slow and uninteresting. I think one of the main problems is the characters. I just can't bring myself to care about any of them. Also, I think China needs a better editor. Perdido was FAR too long and so is The Scar. I actually finished Perdido, but only made it half way through the Scar.

I don't think I will be picking up any more of his novels :)

Awww... and Litany gave it such high points, and said it has pirates in it! Of all people I'd have thought you'd have enjoyed it. :)

ds

Back