• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Secret History

Ezekial_Wisdom

I have just finished reading this book and was absolutely captivated by this mesmerising story and characters,

I am still living in their world. Is there anyone elses who feels the same way?

EW.

You mean The Secret History by Donna Tartt?

I read it some months ago, and although it started out really good it all became a bit surreal at the end.

I missed some
real guilty conscience
and some more emotions concerning
the murder(s)
would have made the end way better. As far as I could see the only wondered
if they would get caught and not if they've done something "bad"

I expected it to be a pop-corn book, but I didn't expect it to be soooo simplistic and totally lacking in any real suspense/intrigue. Poor.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
I was expected it to be a pop-corn book, but I didn't expect it to be soooo simplistic and totally lacking in any real suspense/intrigue. Poor.

Noooooooo - I thought it was really good. I hated The Little Friend, or whatever it was called. Didn't finish it.

And no, I didn't like The Secret History because I fancy Donna Tartt: though she is one stern-looking woman: "LOVE? What do YOU know about LOVE? BOY!" That's what I hear in my head whenever I see that inside cover photo of her....

Did I type that or just think it...?

I did enjoy the secret history but thought the little friend was the better of the two books! :)

ruby said:
I did enjoy the secret history but thought the little friend was the better of the two books! :)

Ruby, you are the only person I've ever heard say that. I've not read the latter, although I do own it, but everyone else has said The Little Friend was a poor effort especially when given the time between The Secret History.

I liked The Secret History. It was okay. But English people invariably salivate over it, which I just can't figure out. It's almost as if there's some aspect of American culture in it that they fall in love with.

I have a theory that English people see New England as the 'correct' part of America, the classier, more refined bit where people act properly. My mother-in-law (born in the countryside near Leicester) said to me once, "Isn't Boston the place where the good American accent is?" I think The Secret History appeals to that sensibility.

Stewart said:
Ruby, you are the only person I've ever heard say that. I've not read the latter, although I do own it, but everyone else has said The Little Friend was a poor effort especially when given the time between The Secret History.
Stewart i really did enjoy it,give it a go and let me know what you think :)

Ezekial_Wisdom said:
I have just finished reading this book and was absolutely captivated by this mesmerising story and characters,

I am still living in their world. Is there anyone elses who feels the same way?

EW.

I loved this book and have reread it multiple times, each time something pop's up at me. When i am reading it i can't put it down.
I read "The Little Friend" and was disappointed, but if Donna tart publishes another book I will give it a go. "The Little Friend" just was not my cup of tea.

Back